Reaction score

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP and 2006 F150 FX4
The problem with driving the Golf R is that you are driving a VW. It will be in the shop more than its out (just like BMW)...That is obviously not a statement about performance but I actually have to use the car Im paying for to get to work...:D

To be honest I dont know a single repeat VW customer...or audi for that matter.
The real problem is that for a German car, you NEED to make sure it was built in Germany and NOT Mexico. I believe in this 100% my dad never had problems with it until my younger brother got a hold of it and beat it up like crap as with everything else he ever had

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
The problem with driving the Golf R is that you are driving a VW. It will be in the shop more than its out (just like BMW)...That is obviously not a statement about performance but I actually have to use the car Im paying for to get to work...:D

To be honest I dont know a single repeat VW customer...or audi for that matter.
I would go back to Audi but the fact they are way too expensive was a deal breaker... maintenance cost is kinda high too

Backorder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan...:-(
The real problem is that for a German car, you NEED to make sure it was built in Germany and NOT Mexico. I believe in this 100% my dad never had problems with it until my younger brother got a hold of it and beat it up like crap as with everything else he ever had

I know it's not a sports car, but the 2012 tiguan I drive has been good so far and we put 40,000 miles on it the first year. It's at about 65k now that we got the passat TDI as our road car. Granted the tiguan is also made in Germany so maybe there is the difference. The first passat (RIP) was almost a year old before it was totaled and had 30k on it with no problems (I know 30k isn't much, but it is for a car that had been driven for only 11 mo). No problems with that til a kid ran a red light and hit the front drivers side at 50...lol that'll do the trick :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Ecoboost will be 5 or wee bit under.

Sponsored

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
I know it's not a sports car, but the 2012 tiguan I drive has been good so far and we put 40,000 miles on it the first year. It's at about 65k now that we got the passat TDI as our road car. Granted the tiguan is also made in Germany so maybe there is the difference. The first passat (RIP) was almost a year old before it was totaled and had 30k on it with no problems (I know 30k isn't much, but it is for a car that had been driven for only 11 mo). No problems with that til a kid ran a red light and hit the front drivers side at 50...lol that'll do the trick :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ouch... that sucks... but you will see a trend with ones built in Germany as with most all audi are. VW is a different story.... my dad spent days searching dealer to dealer.... and most all tried to sell him a golf TDI built in Mexico... he finally found one and bought it.... was a great car till my brother ran into something and busted the oil pan...never a problem ttyl then... my audi is great with over 100k miles on it... I'd get another TT but a 2016 one a TTS but a base price of just under 49k is too much... I paid 38 k for mine back in 2001

eleanor5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MY
The gt manual gained over 80 pounds but only 15 horsepower... I don't think thats enough to match its '14 time. Now if they make up the difference with the different suspension we wont know. Id imagine ford made a point of not being slower than the older car in all of their time spent testing.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Ecoboost will be 5 or wee bit under.
Coming in at 4.9 would be 05 GT times. It would be nice if the Eco matched that car straight line performance wise.

Shark77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MS3
The gt manual gained over 80 pounds but only 15 horsepower... I don't think thats enough to match its '14 time. Now if they make up the difference with the different suspension we wont know. Id imagine ford made a point of not being slower than the older car in all of their time spent testing.
Strictly speaking from a peak HP to weight ratio, it is plenty to make up for 80lbs. The 14 Mustang is around 8.5lbs/hp. 80lbs/15hp = 5.3lbs/hp, so it's an improvement in weight to power.

Sponsored

eleanor5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MY
Perhaps its better for that one stat but a slightly high lb per horse power does not guarantee a better accellerating or handling car.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
For standing start acceleration, I think (available) torque to weight is a lot more meaningful than power to weight. The trick is knowing how much torque is actually made available by the traction limitations.

SunkenShadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mercedes E320
Yeah but it also got bigger tires to put power down to the ground better than the 13/14 GTs

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
The Golf R will be built in Germany because of its AWD system. I guess the Mexico plant is not equipped to build the AWD.

From R&T:

Front-drive Mk7 Golfs for the US, including the GTI, will be built here this spring as well as in Mexico. But the 4Motion cars still have to come from Germany.

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
Coming in at 4.9 would be 05 GT times. It would be nice if the Eco matched that car straight line performance wise.
Agreed. The Eco is about the same weight with similar power to the 2010 GT (310/320 vs 315/325). I guess the key will be seeing the full graphs on the horsepower and torque and seeing how it's tuned from the factory.

I would like to see less than 5.1 seconds. 5.3-5.4 would be disappointing to me. It needs to perform at least on par with my 07 or slightly better; otherwise I will definitely save up and go for a GT instead.
Sponsored