Sponsored

SCCA F-Street Setup. What's Everyone Done so Far?

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
FYI here is a picture of the front bar bracket with the remains of the "rivet" which holds the upper U and the lower plate together.

[/url][/IMG]
According to an installation video I saw this morning removing the bracket is NOT necessary. Apparently since I was working alone I simply didn't try hard enough or creatively enough. :doh:

Sponsored

Bigtim352

bigtim352
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT w/black accent package
Just putting a feeler, I’ll have the suspension off this weekend.

Oem style strut and rear shocks /spring

Jri/cortex double adjustable suspension on BMR SP083 springs
Going to be asking 2k firm.

SuspensiOn will be off this weekend for updates pictures

https://photos.app.goo.gl/G9ymK98jW4ThEmst1

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I know it has talked about many times and in many threads but I have seen an uptick in "Service Advancetrac" warnings recently. It came on in Peru a week ago and I believe it returned car to Normal mode with everything on mid-run, then yesterday on local event it happened twice.

I've been doing all the "magic" of letting car boot, holding the brake pedal down and so on - it became a routine on a start up. Anyone has an idea if wear of something (brake pads ? Plenty of pad left but they're old) may be a contributor here ?

(just to be clear - it used to happen to me few times in the past but it was very very rare - now I had four times in two events).

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know it has talked about many times and in many threads but I have seen an uptick in "Service Advancetrac" warnings recently. It came on in Peru a week ago and I believe it returned car to Normal mode with everything on mid-run, then yesterday on local event it happened twice.

I've been doing all the "magic" of letting car boot, holding the brake pedal down and so on - it became a routine on a start up. Anyone has an idea if wear of something (brake pads ? Plenty of pad left but they're old) may be a contributor here ?

(just to be clear - it used to happen to me few times in the past but it was very very rare - now I had four times in two events).
The warning is apparently triggered by one part of the system not communicating correct info to the ABS and maybe other computers. My GUESS is something in the wheel speed sensor and wheel bearing area but that is a wild guess. Since many new cars including GT350's have had the problem I suspect it is a tolerance related problem that might be aggravated by wear. Another guess is resonator removal since the stability related accelerometers are in the center console and many, but not necessarily all, of the autocrossers with the problem have done that.

My 15 had the problem a few times when new but did not repeat even with about 30K miles. When it happened on my car there is a good chance it was because I rushed the disable process.

No problem so far with my 18 which has MagneRide and therefore stronger hubs/bearings.

See you at the Bristol Tour.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Mine will kick off sometimes on really rough gravel roads. Bumps seem to cause the error sometimes. I've seen it a handful of times at autox or track events, but overall its still pretty uncommon on my car.

There's always that connector in the engine bay that disables it all if you're fed up with it. Probably not technically legal for FS, but its not doing anything the switches aren't supposed to do.

Sponsored

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
Mine will kick off sometimes on really rough gravel roads. Bumps seem to cause the error sometimes. I've seen it a handful of times at autox or track events, but overall its still pretty uncommon on my car.

There's always that connector in the engine bay that disables it all if you're fed up with it. Probably not technically legal for FS, but its not doing anything the switches aren't supposed to do.
IMO it's legal. the rule was written specifically for newer cars that don't have the ability to turn it completely off - and in the case of the mustang, faulting and/or turning back on in the middle of a run is a slam dunk use case being described by this rule.

https://www.scca.com/downloads/40392-2018-solo-rules-complete-reduced/download

13.9 ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
G. On cars without the ability to turn off electronic stability control and/or
traction control (ESC/TC) from the manufacturer, modifications to defeat
the ESC/TC are permitted. These modification are limited to altering the
inputs to the ESC/TC processor (e.g., removing fuses, unplugging yaw or
steering angle sensors, altering signals) and may serve no other purpose.
Any codes or error lights resulting from ESC/TC modifications are permitted.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Now you have my interest ! ;-) Which connector is it ? I admit I never paid to much attention to this since it wasn't a problem and it did not show up in a brief search I did this morning.

Thank you all for help.
Dick - looking forward to seeing you there and checking out your '18.

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Near the airbox there's a plug. Push the latch and pull the harness away from the plug, it's kinda tight in there next to the airbox.

Disconnecting this jumper was the only way I could make my car stop faulting out and turning TCS/AdvanceTrac back on mid run and defaulting to normal mode which makes the car a mushy mess. I can now turn my car off between runs and not worry about it faulting out.

kEZnnJK.jpg

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now you have my interest ! ;-) Which connector is it ? I admit I never paid to much attention to this since it wasn't a problem and it did not show up in a brief search I did this morning.

Thank you all for help.
Dick - looking forward to seeing you there and checking out your '18.
[/url][/IMG]

This is from my 15. Many cars including my 18 have sleeving over the wires. I haven't tested this but others have.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
This is from my 15. Many cars including my 18 have sleeving over the wires. I haven't tested this but others have.
Thanks - just walked out to check it. Does it turn off Advancetrac and TC ? What happens to drive modes ? I guess I'll test it this afternoon and see what happens :)

Thanks a lot !

Sponsored

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The picture I attempted to post had the sheathing on the cable, Dick. I forgot imgur doesn't work here...

Thanks - just walked out to check it. Does it turn off Advancetrac and TC ? What happens to drive modes ? I guess I'll test it this afternoon and see what happens :)

Thanks a lot !

Pulling the plug disables TC & AdvanceTrac. Drive modes function as normal on my car, though oddly I have to wait ~30 seconds before it lets me select a drive mode and sometimes displays a nonsensical error message like "Steering Angel Sensor Failure"

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Pulling the plug disables TC & AdvanceTrac. Drive modes function as normal on my car, though oddly I have to wait ~30 seconds before it lets me select a drive mode and sometimes displays a nonsensical error message like "Steering Angel Sensor Failure"
Chances are the error-trapping routine does not understand pulling the plug as a separate error from "hey, I'm not able to communicate with the SAS and I'm not getting the expected data from it either". So it falls back on reporting what it's been told is the most likely reason for its problem.

My guess on the 30 second wait time is that everything needs that much time to boot up and initialize first. On my wife's Subie, I need to wait a few seconds before it will recognize me hitting the button to turn its stability control off. Haven't timed this delay yet.

Norm

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The picture I attempted to post had the sheathing on the cable, Dick. I forgot imgur doesn't work here...

Pic from my 18 with sheathing.
[/url][/IMG]

Talked with an "unfortunately for me" FAST autocrosser in a 6th gen Camaro. He doesn't have the common Camaro "ice mode" problem but has a different problem. He has to leave the car running between runs because otherwise it is very hard to restart and when it does it goes into some sort of limp mode.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any hints for using the plug near the airbox to disable Advance Trac? Does the 30 second wait for drive modes apply to every restart? Does Advance Trac still need to be turned off with the toggle switch? Does this solve the problem for autocross?

I experienced Advance Trac warnings for the first time in roughly 200 runs in my 18 this Saturday during the cool down portion after the finish of the last 3 of 4 runs on the test track area of https://nccar.us/nccar-facilities/nccar-road-course.html The course used 1 mile of the 2 mile track and the warnings came on after the finish line at roughly the same place. Due to the type of site the course used fast and slow slaloms, short straights, chicago boxes, and lane changes to allow me to reach 70 mph in a couple of places with slower areas in the low 30's. Certainly not a typical course. My times were in the low to mid 80's (plus cones unfortunately).

I'll be checking stub axle nuts, wheel bearings, debris at wheel speed sensors, etc.

THANKS!

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I simply unplug it and fire up the car. Put on my seat belt and then change drive modes. I don't touch anything with advancetrac if I have the jumper unplugged. No more weird advancetrac issues, but it does disable new accelerometer recordings in the cluster (who cares?)

Were you on ABS after the finish or just cruising?
Sponsored