Looking for spring recommendations

JStyles300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 (H4572)
Good afternoon, all! I'm looking to change out my factory springs and am kind of in between the FP Lowering Springs and the Steeda Dual Rates. I use my car almost exclusively on the road, but wouldn't mind getting into the track scene eventually. Currently, putting down about 750 whp and want it to stick to the ground when I'm on it and/or cornering, as well as closing that wheel gap...but also want something that's livable driving around.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Anyone running dual-rates on the street?
Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
SPRING RECOMMENDATIONS

If you live up North, wait until Spring to get your car out of hibernation.

If you live down South, put your car in hibernation in Spring during the heavy pollen time.

RESPONSE DISCLAIMER
This response was a reply to the title of the thread, and not to the actual text of the thread.
And my wife thinks I don't listen to everything she says.................. sheesh!

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I’ve used fp, bmr, and steeda. I preferred the bmr’s, fp, and steeda in that order. That said, if your mainly street I’d go with the fp’s.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Thanks Charlie, for adding a serious reply for OP...cuz I had nothin!

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Look at AJ Hartmans coilover conversion kits. It's far cheaper than a coil over you retain the mag ride, and you have a way wider array of off the shelf 2.5" springs then the canned spring options out there.

If you want just a start, I'd go Ford performance personally. Although the rake doesn't go away with FP springs. But the rake doesn't go away with any of them, and arguably gets worse.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
That’s a new one. Regarding the rake getting worse. This is bmr’s with factory wheels on my old 20, and with r spec bc forged. And then the fp springs on my r.
IMG_2550.jpeg
IMG_2551.jpeg
IMG_3702.jpeg
IMG_3657.jpeg

Look at AJ Hartmans coilover conversion kits. It's far cheaper than a coil over you retain the mag ride, and you have a way wider array of off the shelf 2.5" springs then the canned spring options out there.

If you want just a start, I'd go Ford performance personally. Although the rake doesn't go away with FP springs. But the rake doesn't go away with any of them, and arguably gets worse.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
That’s a new one. Regarding the rake getting worse. This is bmr’s with factory wheels on my old 20, and with r spec bc forged. And then the fp springs on my r.
IMG_2550.jpeg
IMG_2551.jpeg
IMG_3702.jpeg
IMG_3657.jpeg
Looks good. That red is one of the best colors for these cars. If I had to do it again, I would look hard for that color with some sort of stripe. Especially with those gold wheels.

Did you do before and after measurements? My change was coming directly from the DSC. IIRC, 20mm front drop, 11/12 mm rear drop. This was after taking the car around the block to get things settled. And the rear number never changed after that.

Since then, I corner balanced the car and the gaps don't necessarily match side to side. I would have to look, but I think I added 3/16" to the passenger side front.

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I had the FP springs and moved to the Steeda dual rate springs last year. I prefer the Steeda dual rates do to the nature of how the spring has two different personalities in one. Lean on it in the corners and it tightens up; drive normally and it feels somewhat similar to the FP springs on the street.

Edit: I forgot to add that I upgraded the Magneride struts and shocks to the GT500/GT350R package from Steeda. Coupled with the dual rate springs, it feels stiffer than the OEM regular GT350 Magneride set up and the dual rates, especially in track mode.

Last edited:

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I did measure it back then but I don’t recall exactly. I want to say it was about 7/8’s”. Both cars sat really well as far as the stance was concerned. My R I put back to stock. As for color, I completely agree. The rapid red is such a nice color on these cars, 500 to. I wish I still had that car.

Looks good. That red is one of the best colors for these cars. If I had to do it again, I would look hard for that color with some sort of stripe. Especially with those gold wheels.

Did you do before and after measurements? My change was coming directly from the DSC. IIRC, 20mm front drop, 11/12 mm rear drop. This was after taking the car around the block to get things settled. And the rear number never changed after that.

Since then, I corner balanced the car and the gaps don't necessarily match side to side. I would have to look, but I think I added 3/16" to the passenger side front.

Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
FP Springs - Great street spring with a decent performance improvement

50804454008_d068e0fedf_k.jpg

Steeda Dual Rate Springs with steeda front ride height plates installed - Noticeable performance increase, but a decrease in road comfort.

53544388694_5b69b73c6c_k.jpg

Both of these pair best with some matching swaybars. If I was to go for full performance while retaining Magnerid, then the AJ setup is the way to go and I will likely move to it eventually.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So this is me thining outlout...

Looks...both are going to sit about the same. Moot.

The funny part with your spring choice is this....the word on the street says the numbers for the FP rear springs are toooo soft. The same rumor mill says the numbers for the Steeda springs are waaaayyyy too hard for the MR and the car. From what I know about stuff, in theory, the "softer" rear spring of the Ford springs will do a mucho better job of putting all your HP to the ground.

OP
OP
JStyles300

JStyles300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 (H4572)
Thanks for all the input. For those that went with an option that lowered 1/2" - 3/4", did you find it necessary to change anything else in the suspension (i.e. camber bolts or plates, etc)?

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I put the camber bolts in as a prevetative measure. They can be set to zero so there wasnt a downside to installing them. I just didn’t want to have to re disassemble for what was in essence an inexpensive part.

Thanks for all the input. For those that went with an option that lowered 1/2" - 3/4", did you find it necessary to change anything else in the suspension (i.e. camber bolts or plates, etc)?

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I didn't as I actually welcomed a little extra front camber. Rear camber can be adjusted from the factory, and of course had the toe adjusted as part of the post install alignment.
Sponsored