Cordless Impact driver

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
M12 stubby easily gets lug nuts off, if used with larger batter (4 Ah at least, I have 6 Ah on mine). I don't remember last time I've used the M18 one for lug nuts and I do them literally probably close to 100 times a year.
It could be that thanks to the frequent changing the lug nuts do not "stick" and you are fine with M12 Stubby. Technically it should manage even 150 ft-lb, but according to the tests I saw, there is not much margin.
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I am already invested in the Ryobi 18 volt family and got a 1/2 inch Ryobi one a couple months ago. It works pretty good, no problem to remove lugs and then I spn them back on briefly, lower the car and torque them with my torque wrench.
I have my cornwell impact gun in the tool box but when I don't want to drag the hose out and fire the compressor my Ryobi 1/2 inch impact has yet to not knock something loose. I bring it to the track along with my fans and a few extra batteries, its a neat little gun and it's pretty darn cheap for what it is.
What Ryobi model number are you guys using ?

Cheers,

WD :like:

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I went with the Ryobi P262. It's paired with the 4ah battery. I love it, only use it once in a while so no heavy use so far.
9343994C-6B65-4A9E-AFD3-3B18A0E842DC.jpeg

24A19F83-79C4-4D97-8F9D-A5F6ECA97482.jpeg

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
Ryobi looks like a solid competitor to Milwaukee. When checking it out, I found this test:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
It could be that thanks to the frequent changing the lug nuts do not "stick" and you are fine with M12 Stubby. Technically it should manage even 150 ft-lb, but according to the tests I saw, there is not much margin.
This makes no sense. They're torque with torque wrench, breakaway torque doesn't change because they're frequently taken off. Beside, my car isn't the only I change wheels on, F150 with 6 lugs and same 150 ft/lb torque as well.

Stubby is really sensitive to the batter you're using, but if you use the large ones, it has no problem with lug nuts.

Sponsored

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
This makes no sense. They're torque with torque wrench, breakaway torque doesn't change because they're frequently taken off. Beside, my car isn't the only I change wheels on, F150 with 6 lugs and same 150 ft/lb torque as well.
I did not mean that frequent removing will change the breakaway torque, more like an opposite. That *not* frequent removing may let the nuts "stick" and then make them harder to loose.
There was a video posted earlier in this thread were the guy showed that the breakaway torque was around 80% of the tightening torque. The only condition was that he tested it on freshly tightened nuts. Then people in comments claimed that it is not what usually happens in a real life.

Anyway, I have no experience with either, and that was why I asked here. I also have no doubt that your experience is authentic, I am just trying to find an explanation for that while considering the other peoples comments which are different.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I did not mean that frequent removing will change the breakaway torque, more like an opposite. That *not* frequent removing may let the nuts "stick" and then make them harder to loose.
There was a video posted earlier in this thread were the guy showed that the breakaway torque was around 80% of the tightening torque. The only condition was that he tested it on freshly tightened nuts. Then people in comments claimed that it is not what usually happens in a real life.

Anyway, I have no experience with either, and that was why I asked here. I also have no doubt that your experience is authentic, I am just trying to find an explanation for that while considering the other peoples comments which are different.
That does make sense (seized joint) but then it really isn't a problem with them impact but with the joint and those can easily fail a stud because of this. Anyway - ideally one would have stubby and something bigger...

jonesy67

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
V6
Personally i like the ONEVAN 1/2-Inch cordless impact wrench. It offers exceptional performance and can easily handle lug nuts torqued to 150 ft-lbs. The brushless motor ensures longevity and efficiency, making it a reliable choice for automotive tasks. Plus, it's part of the Milwaukee M18 system, so if you already own batteries and chargers, it's a convenient option.

Last edited:

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
My Makita 18v, 1/2”, XWT08, with three torque settings…it’s a beast.

IMG_2002.jpeg

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What Ryobi model number are you guys using ?

From left to right:

262 - just got this one because the 261 couldn't do things like the 200lb ft floor pan to upper control arm bolt the other day. $89

261 - decent bargain 1/2" impact but it's advertised at a lowly 300lb ft. Got it for a Black Friday deal or something for like $90, it's good but once in a while you get a bolt it can't fuck with

3/8" - advertised at even less than the 261 but it's smaller and lighter etc. $65!

1/4" impact driver - even smaller, not sure what the point of having this and the 3/8" is. I am not a fan of the little drill style hex adapters though. Got it for like $40

On top the usb-c ratchet which is useless. Then on the right the 3/8" ratchet that's pretty decent

That said, all four of the impacts will take a lugnut off a car that's been tightened to 100lb-ft. The smaller two will just take a couple seconds as the break the lug free, the first one will pretty much just take it right off

IMG_9477.jpeg

Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
I have the ryobi 1/2" impact and it takes off lug nuts with ease. This is the 18v impact and they are very inexpensive at home depot. In fact, I have many 18v Ryobi tools and multiple batteries and have had a great experience with all, without fail. I know they have 40v systems too...but I am very happy with the power of the 18v system.
Same here. I already had Ryobi tools and batteries. I got the 1/2 inch Ryobi and it doesn't have any issues at all breaking my lugs loose. I use a 4 AH battery and it lasts a long time.

My blower, I went 40 volt though, needed the extra umph to run for a while when blowing my car after a wash :)

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
From left to right:

262 - just got this one because the 261 couldn't do things like the 200lb ft floor pan to upper control arm bolt the other day. $89

261 - decent bargain 1/2" impact but it's advertised at a lowly 300lb ft. Got it for a Black Friday deal or something for like $90, it's good but once in a while you get a bolt it can't fuck with

3/8" - advertised at even less than the 261 but it's smaller and lighter etc. $65!

1/4" impact driver - even smaller, not sure what the point of having this and the 3/8" is. I am not a fan of the little drill style hex adapters though. Got it for like $40

On top the usb-c ratchet which is useless. Then on the right the 3/8" ratchet that's pretty decent

That said, all four of the impacts will take a lugnut off a car that's been tightened to 100lb-ft. The smaller two will just take a couple seconds as the break the lug free, the first one will pretty much just take it right off

IMG_9477.jpeg
I have the far left one like you do. It is a beast :)

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
I got rid of my Dewault 1/2 and bought a M18 Fuel 1/2 drive Brushless impact with a 12 amp battery. It removes bolts which were torqued over 220ftlbs without issue. Pay now or pay again later. Good luck

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Milwaukee m18 1/2” mid torque is what I’d go for in your situation. The compact could struggle with 150 lb ft if the battery isn’t fully charged.

Keep an eye at Northern Tool, they often have sales on buy a tool get a battery free or buy a kit and get a tool free, which the tire inflator is often on the free list.
Sponsored