Sponsored

Head Oil Balance Lines...Archetype or MMR?

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
^^ what he said ^^

Don’t let the thought of removing the intake intimidate you. Not worth the battle. And from what I saw on the job, I’d personally say impossible.
It's not so much the intake as it is all the ancillary stuff around the intake. Planning to do this in April.

Looks like now is the time to prep the wife that her car may be in the driveway for a few days.
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
It's not so much the intake as it is all the ancillary stuff around the intake. Planning to do this in April.

Looks like now is the time to prep the wife that her car may be in the driveway for a few days.
I like to surprise the wife unit. I get yelled at, but then it turns into an eye roll and the occasional sigh. If I try to forewarn, there are too many questions and protests.

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The fact that the #8 gets neglected isn't debatable or controversial. You can look at the coolant galley on the driver's side head and see why. The question I have is whether adding a line between two pressurized cavities does anything. If there's no pressure differential between them, there'll be no flow and the only exchange would be a static thermal balance which would be slow and pretty much useless.

The way around the #8 issue is through tuning. The problem is that Ford cheaped out and decided to place a single CHT sensor on the other head. So the engine calibration "infers" the temperature across all cylinders based on that single input. So a proper calibration would take into account the reality that other cylinders may have a temp differential and tune conservatively.

Truth be told, if the additional line isn't going to actually move any fluid to balance them out, the better solution would be a tap and an additional sensor at the back of 8 and a calibration that could measure BOTH and either account for it or at the least take the worst condition.

My advice to anyone who does this mod, with or without the motor in the car, use COPIOUS amounts of teflon tape on the fitting threads. The last thing you want (spoken from personal experience) is to have to contort your body in various torture positions trying to get the fittings off and back on after installing some teflon tape. I normally don't like teflon tape for fear of debris, but in the coolant system everything is large enough where any small bits aren't going to hurt anything.

At the end of the day, is it snake oil? Who knows. In countless other debates about the issue all we can conclude is A) There seems to be anecdotal evidence that #8 goes more often than others B) From simple observation of the coolant passages you can see that #8 not only gets neglected because it's the last in line and there's a reduction in the coolant galley there C) There's no evidence to suggest that these balancing lines work, but there's no evidence to prove they don't work either and obviously Ford chose to run them on some high end applications for a reason.

Lastly, it's like $150. Compared to how much money many of us dump into these cars, it's a cheap roll of the dice. If it works, great, if not, it's less than the cost of a nice steak dinner for 2.