Yet, another engine oil question

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Here's what the Owner's Manual says:

upload_2020-4-30_13-34-18.png

So, last year track season I set my target at keeping the oil level between the lower hole and about half way up, rather than trying to keep it at the top. I ran Motorcraft and when I changed it out at 5% life left, I sent it for a used oil analysis with Cat labs to get oxidation and nitration data - you don't get this with Blackstone, unfortunately - and the oil was in excellent shape. The UOA is on this forum somewhere. Anyway, the point is, don't fuss about keeping the oil at the top of the available space on the dipstick. So long as you're above the lower hole, you're good to go.
Sponsored

OP
OP
lenFeb

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
So, last year track season I set my target at keeping the oil level between the lower hole and about half way up, rather than trying to keep it at the top. I ran Motorcraft and when I changed it out at 5% life left, I sent it for a used oil analysis with Cat labs to get oxidation and nitration data - you don't get this with Blackstone, unfortunately - and the oil was in excellent shape. The UOA is on this forum somewhere. Anyway, the point is, don't fuss about keeping the oil at the top of the available space on the dipstick. So long as you're above the lower hole, you're good to go.
Thanks much!

RJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - K1393
Do you have oil/air separators installed on yours? I have FP oil separator on my and noticed the exact amount of oil missing from the engine collected in oil separator. It's not burning oil per se.
Yes, I have FP O/A's on both sides.

This is what I got out of the passenger side at 2K/4K/6K miles on the oil.

Maybe 3.8 ounces - and yes there was a slight lowering on the dipstick over that 7500 miles - maybe pretty close to a 1:1 relationship.

IMG_4601.JPG

Lilmags500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jody
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1 19 F350 20 Fusion Ti 19 Escape Ti
I try to keep mine between the upper hash line and the top hole .... It is a dangerous proposition to let these motors run low on oil .

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's really easy. I use syringe with measurement scale to remove oil from oil separator. I removed around 8 oz(1/4 quart) from oil separator. The oil level on dipstick is at 3/4 between lower and upper hole. Distance between lower and upper holes equates one quart. Hope this explained.
It's funny you would say this about it being the same quantity of oil in the separator as the decrease in the engine. What I've recovered from the oil/air separator IMO can only loosely be called oil. I believe there's typically a lot of water and other materials in there.

Here's what the Owner's Manual says:

upload_2020-4-30_13-34-18.png

It's funny you would say this about it being the same quantity of oil in the separator as the decrease in the engine. What I've recovered from the oil/air separator IMO can only loosely be called oil. I believe there's typically a lot of water and other materials in there.

That's a great illustration and I agree that many people on here get it wrong.

I try to keep mine between the upper hash line and the top hole .... It is a dangerous proposition to let these motors run low on oil .
They aren't low on oil unless they are below the bottom hole.

Balatgek1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
After my oil change with 10qt the oil mark was at exact upper hole. Not at upper hash mark like in your picture.
This was a top off from my 17 not after oil change. (Oil got down to half the lower hole put in one Qt. warmed up, sat for 15 min. and that's where it was.) With my 19 after first oil change the oil was a little over top hole and the dealer said not to worry. I'm guessing the variances on dip stick after change is how much old oil gets drained.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
After my oil change with 10qt the oil mark was at exact upper hole. Not at upper hash mark like in your picture.
Same. Caveat: I always measure with the oil at operating temp after shutting the car off and waiting 15 minutes.
Sponsored