2015 GT Steering Itself

dbranger94

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT
I've noticed that every one in a while, while hard cornering, the car will take over and sort of lock itself into a corner. I have to apply extra pressure in the opposite direction to get it to come out of it. Well, last night I drove the car and it decided to drive me instead. I could feel it fighting me a bit. So, on a long straight stretch of road, I let go of the steering wheel and the car turned itself left, them straightened out about the center of the road, then went back into it's own lane, and repeated this a couple of times. The alignment on the car is perfect. When it's not driving me around, it will stay straight for miles with little to no input. Anyone else have this issue? Or any ideas?
Sponsored

SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP
How low is your tire tread? This will happen if they're worn out, especially if the road is not perfectly flat.

I also had this happen when I had two different types of tires front vs back. The car would jump left or right hard when I'd hit uneven patches or bumps.

OP
OP
dbranger94

dbranger94

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT
How low is your tire tread? This will happen if they're worn out, especially if the road is not perfectly flat.

I also had this happen when I had two different types of tires front vs back. The car would jump left or right hard when I'd hit uneven patches or bumps.
The tires are basically new, only a couple thou on them. But I'm 95% sure it's not the tires. It's doing this on perfectly flat and smooth roads. The car isn't reacting to anything, it's literally acting on it's own for no apparent reason.

OP
OP
dbranger94

dbranger94

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT
Exactly!

Sponsored

OP
OP
dbranger94

dbranger94

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT
Thought I'd have a dash cam video of the car doing this, but it mysteriously didn't record while I was demonstrating the problem to my wife. Everything up till then is fine, but nothing during or after...?

OP
OP
dbranger94

dbranger94

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT
Do you happen to have "Lane Assist" on your car??:sunglasses:
No. Wasn't an option. Only blind spot monitoring and adaptive cruise control were options, and I don't have either.

Jake17gol

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jakub
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have this issue, among many others, as well in my 2017 gt. I just bought it a month ago as a cpo and would also like some insight on this. I have done an alignment and it still does this. I also have pretty bad bump steer. I’ve heard it may be due to bad struts

OP
OP
dbranger94

dbranger94

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT
My car is still fighting me. I pray it's something simple, but the SAS and PSCM are built into the rack, which is ~$1500...

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
My car is still fighting me. I pray it's something simple, but the SAS and PSCM are built into the rack, which is ~$1500...
Long shot ... but you might want to disconnect the battery for an hour and hook it back up. Maybe those power steering computers need a reset.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
This thread has good EPAS troubleshooting tips:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...king-help-from-a-tech-ideas-on-causes.120707/

This thread has great Tech and pics of the EPAS taken apart:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ategies-calibrations-vbf.112549/#post-2611462

This thread has info for EPAS rack removal from the S550:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/need-help-steering-rack-replacement.129096/

You may also want to check for loose connections at harnesses and connectors to and from the rack, as there have been reported instances of M6G members having EPAS faults related to loose harnesses and connectors.
Sponsored