Sponsored

Centrifugals and Low End Torque

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
The rpm range that most street cars use 99% of the time is irrelevant?
It's all in what the owner wants. For me from a stop the engine rips from idle to redline almost as fast as a free rev. From a roll I'm going to paddle down. I feel like my car has a ton of power everywhere. Gear and converter helps out a bunch.
Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
How is the amount of power your making while cruising important? The moment you accelerate you're going to downshift.
Why would you downshift when the car can’t hook at 2000rpm?

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Some of ya’ll should’ve bought hemis or 6+ liter chevys with all this need for power at 2000rpm
Lol.
I would’ve if they were available over here. :like:

Sponsored

MEsfits

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium 2015
Keeping the cmcv helps with retaining the torque down low. Mine made 740whp on 91 octane, FBO with a 18 manifold on a 15 GT. Vortech JT kit tuned by PBD. made 10.5psi boost on a dynojet.

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2015 procharged mustang gt
Keeping the cmcv helps with retaining the torque down low. Mine made 740whp on 91 octane, FBO with a 18 manifold on a 15 GT. Vortech JT kit tuned by PBD. made 10.5psi boost on a dynojet.
I didn’t know numbers like that were possible on 91...what do you mean by FBO?

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Good. I appreciate your honesty.
I think the fundamental difference between us is that in 2015>, I don’t feel like I should have to rev a 5 litre engine to 5k to make it go. If I wanted something like that, I’d have bought a Jap screamer. I knew the Coyote wasn’t great at the bottom, I just didn’t realise how bad it was and in a market where it’s the ONLY RWD V8 available at a sensible price point, it makes the options fairly limited.
I agree entirely that a centri (or turbos) are a great way to make excellent times at the strip. If winning races was the goal, both of those options would be front and centre of my purchasing.
What they don’t necessarily do is fix the laziness of the engine in the areas where it suffers the most.
THIS is why every single time someone says they’re thinking about going centri (or turbos, or whatever) I’ll always ask “what are YOUR goals?” And maybe ask if the car is auto or manual as well...
It’s a fair, reasonable, and not asked often enough question.
Apologies for the thread diversion.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

MEsfits

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium 2015
I didn’t know numbers like that were possible on 91...what do you mean by FBO?
Full Bolt Ons, meaning a cold air intake, long tube headers no cats, and an intake manifold. rob shoemaker said if I had taken the air inlet and made an open air run would've got 70whp more. here is my dyno run:

Sponsored

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
I think the fundamental difference between us is that in 2015>, I don’t feel like I should have to rev a 5 litre engine to 5k to make it go. If I wanted something like that, I’d have bought a Jap screamer. I knew the Coyote wasn’t great at the bottom, I just didn’t realise how bad it was and in a market where it’s the ONLY RWD V8 available at a sensible price point, it makes the options fairly limited.
I agree entirely that a centri (or turbos) are a great way to make excellent times at the strip. If winning races was the goal, both of those options would be front and centre of my purchasing.
What they don’t necessarily do is fix the laziness of the engine in the areas where it suffers the most.
THIS is why every single time someone says they’re thinking about going centri (or turbos, or whatever) I’ll always ask “what are YOUR goals?” And maybe ask if the car is auto or manual as well...
It’s a fair, reasonable, and not asked often enough question.
Apologies for the thread diversion.
This makes almost zero sense to me.

99.9% of the time when you are below 3,000 RPM you are cruising. The Coyote has plenty of torque to cruise with 5-15% throttle application in traffic and cruising around. It will accelerate faster than average traffic acceleration speeds in higher than optimal gears (30mph to 60mph in 4th or 5th). From a stop light and accelerating from idle, the Coyote has plenty of grunt in 1st or 2nd (from a stop) to accelerate quicker than most traffic.

In no situation does anyone who wants to make very very fast progress just floor it in 4th, 5th or 6th gear from 1500 RPM and decide not to downshift to a more optimal gear. EVERYONE downshifts to 2nd or maybe 3rd for that maneuver to put the engine at its maximum power efficiency band (4500-5500 RPM), and 95% of the guys in the USA have automatics anyway so needing gobs of torque from 1500 RPM to 3000 RPM over what the Coyote naturally provides in N/A form is 100% pointless as the automatic gearbox will downshift to the best gear anyway (and likely put you at 4500-5500 RPM).

So, quite frankly the comment about lacking low end torque is bullshit and irrelevant.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I think some people like that super torquey power band a pd/roots blower provides. My pullied 03 cobra was making 470 plus wheel torque at 2600 rpms. Useless in lower gears without drag setup. The a10 at wot only runs a 1000-1200 rpm spread at shift points between 6300-6500 lowest point on mine. Once your wot the car is never below 6k rpm. Perfect for a centri blower.

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
A "little" 5.0 is not go to make the low end grunt, N/A, equivalent to 6.2 or 6.4. Not one would argue this. Who doesn't like a lot of low end, I know I do.

I made a thread some months back about my observations of the 2018 A10 power band on a bone stock GT. From idle to 2K, I can effortlessly pull away from typical traffic from a stop light. From idle to 3K I'm about to get a speeding ticket. Anything after that in normal traffic is not feasible since you are getting reckless.

If you want Big Block torque from a little 5.0, then a PD will get you there. However, I agree that with the 10R80, a centri works well, putting you in the sweet spot almost immediately and keeping you there, keeping the IAT's normal, but pulls as hard as a PD in the middle and on top.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I think some people like that super torquey power band a pd/roots blower provides. My pullied 03 cobra was making 470 plus wheel torque at 2600 rpms. Useless in lower gears without drag setup. The a10 at wot only runs a 1000-1200 rpm spread at shift points between 6300-6500 lowest point on mine. Once your wot the car is never below 6k rpm. Perfect for a centri blower.
Do you still have the Dyno sheet form the cobra?
Sponsored