Sponsored

new service procedures for oil consumption

Spart302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red GT350R
Going from new engines to new pcm calibration
I’m not sure this is for the 350 though.
E96BB33A-EAFA-4BF9-B9A4-A02CF4873CC1.png
Sponsored

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Hmm, makes sense but I would be more excited if it didn’t say F150. Have those guys also been getting engines replaced for oil consumption?

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I always wondered if that was part of the reason my oil consumption was so bad (closing of the throttle plate) because of the intense vacuum. You would see in the forums not to engine break to see if the consumption reduced...

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Might be apples and oranges but interesting. Wouldn't the PCM be calibrated the same on all new engines leaving the factory? So why do some burn and some not?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Hmm, makes sense but I would be more excited if it didn’t say F150. Have those guys also been getting engines replaced for oil consumption?
Yes, some are....

I hope to not be one of that particular club with my new truck.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Might be apples and oranges but interesting. Wouldn't the PCM be calibrated the same on all new engines leaving the factory? So why do some burn and some not?
Many cars have slightly different engine calibrations. That is why there are different ECU codes. They can have different stock timing, fuel, many things. Usually more higher end cars (shelby's and lately Mustangs in general) have had much smaller variance between them. I have seen a Focus put down 118WHP, swap the ECU with just another stock ECU, and then repeatedly make 105. The two had totally different fuel and timing maps even though both really should have made similar power based on the fact both cars were rated the same.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
There are also going to be minutely different tolerances in the oil rings that may not directly affect compression, but could result in one engine allowing more oil by than others. Of course driving style can change it as well. I can notice a change in my car's minor oil consumption based on driving habits. I used to commute in to work on a patch of highway that had a lot of traffic and through most of that traffic i would simply leave the car in 2nd or 3rd as appropriate and accelerate and engine brake as needed to maintain distance. This deceleration and engine braking in gear caused far more oil consumption than my current commute that has a few dead stops at stoplights, but generally consists of more acceleration to cruising speed and then braking to a complete stop as needed. I have also heard others report similar experiences where their car may use 1 quart per 1,000 miles, but they take a 1,000 mile road trip and consume next to no oil whatsoever as the drive was mostly steady state cruising without multiple engine decelerations.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Even LESS engine braking?!?! :explode::explode::explode::curse::curse::curse:

CoolHandLuke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R (Chassis #LR001)
Going from new engines to new pcm calibration
I’m not sure this is for the 350 though.
E96BB33A-EAFA-4BF9-B9A4-A02CF4873CC1.png
I wish it were true but clearly looks to be a TSB for F-150s with the 5.0 liter V8....

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It's hard to know what this really means - it could be rings as stated in the TSB or it could also be valve stem seals that are leaking. In any case, if it cuts oil consumption that's a good thing. Also, I would expect that with the throttle plate open and fuel shut off that the engine would be a more effective brake than it would with high manifold vacuum.

Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Engine braking, why? engine is not for braking, it's for accelerating. If you need to brake, use brakes. There are a whole lot of things under stress when you use engine braking... This is not a truck.

slogan8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Dealership I goto has replaced several 5.0s in f150s for oil consumption. They are a huge shop for trucks though. They havent mentioned of any gt350s being replaced, but they also think my gt350 has a 5.0 in it, so.....

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
Engine braking, why? engine is not for braking, it's for accelerating. If you need to brake, use brakes. There are a whole lot of things under stress when you use engine braking... This is not a truck.
I say engine braking is good when entering a difficult turn as it keeps the tire's patch correct so you can go full throttle out of the turn.

The faster you can come out of a turn; the faster you will be at the end of the straight.

On the street, I just get it out of gear and brake slowly into the stop. Easy peasy japanesey. :sun:

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
You know my replacement GT350 engine sounds totally different I wonder if they have done similar "tweaks"

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I say engine braking is good when entering a difficult turn as it keeps the tire's patch correct so you can go full throttle out of the turn.

The faster you can come out of a turn; the faster you will be at the end of the straight.

On the street, I just get it out of gear and brake slowly into the stop. Easy peasy japanesey. :sun:
I can't contradict you.. but. I am not a racing driver, merely an amateur with back to back months of racing experience... on the PC :)

But on the real track, every time I do NOT match the engine speed with car speed, ie. downshifting, I either stuff up the turn as rear breaks traction a bit, or worse I end up oversteering and I have to correct. Again losing time...
So I really rev-match as good as I can, no engine braking for me.

From what I know, what instructors told me, and what I have been doing for years, there is no coasting where the engine could be braking. You are either accelerating, or squeezing the brakes on a race track.
Look at F1 drivers where they show the cockpit and you can see throttle and brake percentage.... never at least one line up at any point.

Again, just my opinion.
Sponsored