Can not remove map light housing

Joedag1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I tried to remove the map light housing in my 2019 gt to upgrade to led , they say in the video to just yank it off. I’m pulling on this thing pretty hard and it won’t come off. It feels like if I pull any harder it’s going to break. Has anyone else had this problem
Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
I found it easier to just pop off the lens pieces. IIRC there are 2 tabs, find one and push it back with a thin-tipped screwdriver or a pen knife and they should pop out easily. Then I used a fine needle-nose pliers to pull the OEM bulb. Just be careful inserting the LEDs because they might take some force, so be careful you don't push the receptacle into the housing.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/raxiom-map-led-0513-cust-install.html Older models but the idea is the same.

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
I had to pull really hard on mine. It's a shitty design compared to the s197.

Skyrm_da

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I tried to remove the map light housing in my 2019 gt to upgrade to led , they say in the video to just yank it off. I’m pulling on this thing pretty hard and it won’t come off. It feels like if I pull any harder it’s going to break. Has anyone else had this problem

I broke mine on my 17 and had to go in for warranty repair. Best advice I can give is to try and use a plastic prybar and go slowly. Once you get the tabs slightly off center the whole unit will bind up and then you’ll be more likely to break it.

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
It was a pain on my 19 as well. I had to get one side half way loose and wedge a screwdriver in there and pull on the other side. Once both sides were started so I could get my fingers up in there I pulled straight down with some force and it came off. I had to straighten the tabs that hold it in place before reinstalling the assembly so that it would flush up. I hope my LEDs dont burn out. I'm not looking forward to ever removing it again!

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
Don't follow those videos. They have double sided tabs from a 2018-2019. Pull it down a little and then use a screwdriver on each side to depress it. Follow the post above but for the love of god it's not like a 15-17.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Don't follow those videos. They have double sided tabs from a 2018-2019. Pull it down a little and then use a screwdriver on each side to depress it. Follow the post above but for the love of god it's not like a 15-17.
^^^^ Exactly!!!!

The 2018-2019 overhead map light tabs/clips was redesigned and is a royal PIA to remove from the headliner/ceiling. Follow post # 38 in the above previously referenced link for 2018-19 removal to avoid breaking the assembly.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Keep applying more and more pull pressure slowly. It'll eventually pop itself free.

It's a fine line between popping of and breaking. I thought I was going to rip the whole headliner out when I removed it to install LEDs.

I don't get it with the incandescent. A company like Ford or any manufacturer still using mini incandescants.. buying hundreds of thousands of pieces at a time, LEDs today are surely cheaper than incandescent.

BLUDICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
I would like to hear more about going through the lens - it's mentioned above but I'm not real clear on how it's done.

Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
I would like to hear more about going through the lens - it's mentioned above but I'm not real clear on how it's done.
If you look up at the lens caps (close the door and wait for the lights to turn off otherwise the bulbs will be too hot/bright to see), there are 3 tabs you can make out. The tab facing directly towards the windshield is a big one; avoid it. There are 2 smaller ones facing back and to the left/right. I literally just tested this to make sure. Get a small flat-bladed screwdriver or a pen knife, stick it up between the housing and the lens on one of the smaller back-facing tabs, and then pry a bit angling your screwdriver's tip towards the lens cap. This takes minimal pressure and effort and it should start coming out. Removing the OEM bulb can be done with a very fine pair of needle-nosed pliers.

The toughest part is when you install the new bulb. They take some force to get in (at least my ones from Diode Dynamics did), so you want to push slowly and make sure it's at the perfect angle before forcing it in, otherwise you'll wind up pushing the bulb receptacle up into the housing and you'll be stuck pulling the whole thing off anyway (friend had that happen to his). But this method, IMO, is easier and should be tried first.

BLUDICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
If you look up at the lens caps (close the door and wait for the lights to turn off otherwise the bulbs will be too hot/bright to see), there are 3 tabs you can make out. The tab facing directly towards the windshield is a big one; avoid it. There are 2 smaller ones facing back and to the left/right. I literally just tested this to make sure. Get a small flat-bladed screwdriver or a pen knife, stick it up between the housing and the lens on one of the smaller back-facing tabs, and then pry a bit angling your screwdriver's tip towards the lens cap. This takes minimal pressure and effort and it should start coming out. Removing the OEM bulb can be done with a very fine pair of needle-nosed pliers.

The toughest part is when you install the new bulb. They take some force to get in (at least my ones from Diode Dynamics did), so you want to push slowly and make sure it's at the perfect angle before forcing it in, otherwise you'll wind up pushing the bulb receptacle up into the housing and you'll be stuck pulling the whole thing off anyway (friend had that happen to his). But this method, IMO, is easier and should be tried first.
GUYS - I just did this and it was a snap - piece of cake!! For me the hardest part was getting the old bulbs out - large tweezers did the trick.

OP
OP
Joedag1

Joedag1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Thank you for all the helpful replies, you people are were a big help. I know with my luck I will end up breaking the housing so I’m going to give up for now. I installed the led’s in my 4Runner. Thanks again you guys are great!

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
GUYS - I just did this and it was a snap - piece of cake!! For me the hardest part was getting the old bulbs out - large tweezers did the trick.
You could also try wrapping something like a cord with a knot that tightens as onto the base of the bulb as you pull then just pull it downward.

I honestly don’t understand why people pull the whole housing down when just taking off the lens is so much easier. Takes less than a minute per side if you know what you’re doing.

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
Thank you for all the helpful replies, you people are were a big help. I know with my luck I will end up breaking the housing so I’m going to give up for now. I installed the led’s in my 4Runner. Thanks again you guys are great!
I have done my parents cars and Lexus and Toyota make it the easiest. It's a breeze compared to Ford.
Sponsored