3.7 Forced induction

Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Oil pan drilled and tapped and drain lines installed. Lots of YouTube videos suggest using a step bit. I recommend against this. I did some experimenting on a scrap piece of aluminum and even with everything greased up the step bit put drastically more metal shavings on the inside of the hole than a regular bit did. Consistently 3 to 4 times as much. Sorry I didn't take any pictures. It's very tight, I used a 90' drill with the shortest bit I could find. I cut about an inch and a half off the bit so it would fit right up against the chuck. This gave me literally just enough room. Running the drain lines on the passenger side is a pain in the ass because of the starter. The drivers side is easy. I fired it up with the intake disconnected and let it idle for about 10 minutes. The only tuning I've done so far is recalibrating the injectors. I have a small coolant leak in the worst possible spot which sucks. I'm probably going to have to pull the AC compressor back off to get to it.
Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Sorry about the leak bro...here is a photo of what i have been up too!

Father's Day in Ireland!!
20190616_180341.jpg

Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Question, does anyone know the purpose of the vacuum line running from the check valves at the brake booster to the intake just before the throttle body? The procharger kit seems to delete this and uses it for a vacuum reference, and it looks like Kodi's was just capped off. I'm trying to figure out what it is for originally. It seems like to me with the throttle closed this line would bypass the brake booster? Why would you want that? Is it to protect the booster from too much vacuum? I'm trying to figure out if I should just cap it off or plum it into the intake before the turbo like it would have been stock. Any thoughts?

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Cap it off....it's nothing more than a vacuum reference.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Cap it off....it's nothing more than a vacuum reference.
I have been running for over 10k miles with it capped off and have had zero issues. One less hose to worry about.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
So figured I would update everyone here... Turbo project is still going, but very slowly. Current plan has been revised some from the rear mount setup to mounting them in place of the OEM cats. Idea is to take shorty headers (have a set ready to go), cut the ball end off and adapt it to the turbo flange. This placment should hopefully have the best of both worlds between the rear mount and OEM locations.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Just how far back is the "proper" rear mount setup? Is it in place of the mufflers? I think JMP's twin kit is similar to what you're planning now. If you haven't seen the photos from the kit installed on the S550 already let us know. If Sean doesn't beat me to it, I'll try to grab them when I get home tonight.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Just how far back is the "proper" rear mount setup? Is it in place of the mufflers? I think JMP's twin kit is similar to what you're planning now. If you haven't seen the photos from the kit installed on the S550 already let us know. If Sean doesn't beat me to it, I'll try to grab them when I get home tonight.
That's actually where the idea came from!

Rear mount to me is in place of mufflers. Moving the small turbos further back from the cylinder head should help reduce some of the issues associated with small turbos.

Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
I have been running for over 10k miles with it capped off and have had zero issues. One less hose to worry about.

That's what I ended up doing. I'm Just curious what it's purpose is stock. I can't think of any logical reason for it.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Well i talked to Jack in length about his mid mount setup. He wont even sell it anymore unless he does the install because it seems installers dont do it right. He says its a great kit too.

On another front P3 who bought my kit off me finally was able to find a guy who does stock ecoboost turbo upgrades/rebuilds for a great price. This is great news because the only other guy we knew of that did this stopped doing it regularly and it cost almost the same as opting for a set of Borg Warner GT turbos. P3 is pursuing this option with the CRP upgraded exhaust manifolds. The theory is he will be putting down 400+ (obviously more with e85) on a conservative tune at the wheels on pump gas putting the total investment around 4k. This is based on f150 ecoboost numbers using the same upgrades. The shop that is going to do this claims his upgrades are better than the BW GT turbos and will be better in every way. This also means no abnormal back-pressure on the front end of the system and low risk of pistons being destroyed on high boost running pump gas where timing becomes an issue. Here is the link:

https://www.turbobayperformance.com...011-2016-ford-f-150-twin-turbocharger-upgrade

Here is the conversation he shared with me too:

"A little up date:
CRP engineering full bore manifolds ordered but on back order till beginning of August by all vendors in U.S.

Also found a place I’m getting my 13-16 f150 turbos reworked/rebuildwith 53mm billet compressor wheels and a clipped turbine with all new thrust bearings, etc. Come with a 1 year warranty.

Talked directly with Matt the owner 2 times now. He even is going to see if he can squeeze a larger 9 blade turbine in the turbine housing on a prototype 3.5 turbo. Cost more for the bigger turbine and machined housing. Not even listed for sale."

Also from P3:

"He told me on the phone he thinks this upgrade he does is better then the ford GT turbos and are equal to CRP engineering stage 3 rebuilt/reworked turbos that cost $3k"

Last edited:

Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Here is the photos from the mid mount turbo (next to transmission housing) system from JMP mentioned earlier too. View attachment 375032
FB_IMG_1561409293821.jpg
FB_IMG_1561409301532.jpg
FB_IMG_1561409306500.jpg
FB_IMG_1561409338359.jpg
FB_IMG_1561409342074.jpg
FB_IMG_1561409385736.jpg
FB_IMG_1561409346787.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
@Patrick where did you get your grill brother?

Pretty sure i somewhat want to replicate this look.
FB_IMG_1560402987485.jpg

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
LMR also has that grille available.

Off topic, lately I've been thinking of how nice it would be to convert my v6 into an EV. It'll most likely be awhile before that'll be viable though. I think that might be the long term plan for my v6.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
I think its that angle that photo is taken in that draws me in to something different than what everyone has already.
Sponsored