Sponsored

Mustang Shelby GT500 will produce 760 horsepower and 625 lb-ft of torque

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
ZL1 was always NA. Until it wasn’t. Personally I doubt there will be a 6th gen Z/28 because I think GM has moved on from 6th gen to working on 7th, but it wouldn’t be that hard to do. If, for some reason, 7th gen is closer to 6th gen in terms of chassis and suspension, then there might be a lot of temptation to drop the LT5 in the Alpha architecture and call it Z/28. LT5 will be “homeless” after July 18th. Since LT4 packages in Alpha, it’s not much more work from a packaging standpoint to drop LT5 in there.
Drop the weight 400 lbs, redline at 7800 rpm and some meaty Michelins and I'm in. Would look great next to my Boss 302 ang GT350. Like a trans am reunion with modern metal, brakes and tires after 50 years. Almost as highly anticipated as original Van Halen hook up!
Sponsored

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Thanks for that. I believe the Coyote is the most volumetric-efficient mainstream production engine so it certainly has the lungs to yodle nicely at 9500rpm.
I 110% Agree! Imagine it with ported 5.2 Voodoo heads Ti valves and valve springs along with a ITBs or a long runner intake like the Cobra Jet!

High reving 500+ NA engines get no respect in todays horsepower world when everyone wants all the horsepowers and can still barely run low 10s.... LOL!

It take a simple drama free NA engine that spins 9k plus and should be good for 600hp easily all day!!

I mean look at the cars we have now a properly setup 5.0 A10 car can go mid to high 10s NA pretty easily.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
I 110% Agree! Imagine it with ported 5.2 Voodoo heads Ti valves and valve springs along with a ITBs or a long runner intake like the Cobra Jet!

High reving 500+ NA engines get no respect in todays horsepower world when everyone wants all the horsepowers and can still barely run low 10s.... LOL!

It take a simple drama free NA engine that spins 9k plus and should be good for 600hp easily all day!!

I mean look at the cars we have now a properly setup 5.0 A10 car can go mid to high 10s NA pretty easily.
Law of diminishing returns. They need to unlock the code for traction and as we've seen with electric-power the answer lies in there somewhere.

The possibility of around 550hp + 50hp hybrid, and a combined ~580lb.ft would make a stout package.
Which brings me to my next point although it's quite off topic.
The next Focus RS is said to be hybrid. The thought of ~400+hp & 400ft.lbs running through a clever AWD system and paddle shift in a 3500lb car would have crazy agility.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Cost to develop - basically zero, and Brembo's problem. Incremental cost to produce - basically zero vs what's in the 350. More than likely Brembo already had 16.5" rotors from some other car (Porsche GT?) in the catalog and Ford engineers spent an hour minutes looking at the Brembo catalog for which one to pick. At most Brembo modified an existing hat to fit Ford's bolt-pattern and offset. Maybe they even played with piston size and placement but hardly a complicated nor expensive undertaking. A 4000lb street car that's not actively racing has quite simple and straightforward requirements.

Carbon fiber wheels have been around for 20+ years. They simply looked at what's already available and picked it off the shelf or had the manufacturer change some aspect of the shape or spoke layout. It's well established technology - maybe not cheap - but not remotely cutting edge, requiring huge R&D.
You must be joking. Carbon fiber wheels off the shelf. No significant development cost. :like: :crackup:

And braking doesn't take any work at all. No unique ABS programming. No development of the balance front to rear during high speed maneuvering. Nothing. :lipssealed:

This stuff you are saying might have some credence for aftermarket crap bolted onto a Mustang GT. However, that's why a car like the GT500 or GT350 costs more. All the systems are developed to function in concert and they are tested. A lot of time is spent testing and fine tuning the systems.

And yet it blows my mind no one has that I know of has put ITBs on a GT350 (i hope im wrong though) The sound alone of ITBs at 8k rpm on the glorious Voodoo engine would be an eargasm forsure! Borla makes 3 different types of ITB setups for the coyote too so I know damn well it would fit a GT350 5 2 aswell.

Another thing is I dont understand why the CJ mani isnt more popular with the GT350. Fitment be damned use drop motor mounts and cradle to body spacers!
I think ITBs will be done at some point. The thing is - people don't just want a sound. They want the functionality. So there's a concern of just bolting something on and hoping it will work. The Voodoos are still all under warranty. I assume over time more people will try modifying them.

And it seems crazy to me to put a body spacer in to try the CJ manifold. I wouldn't think that manifold is worth messing up the look and handling. It's not going to make much additional power anyway.

Sponsored

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
nobody is cross shopping 5.0s and gt500s. I was cross shopping 997 vs 991 vs GT350 and then boom GT500 announcement.

This is another one of the Poors trying to justify why 1 wont be in their garage
You may well be correct, but I hate this type of snobbery. There's no call for it.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Just more of the 'Shelby' snobbery that you get from some, don't miss it one bit.

Some of the guys I met when I had my GT500, sheesh.....

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Precisely why I debadged my last GT500.

I was at the gas station and a guy yelled over "hey, is that a Saleen?"

Yup.

What's it got in it?

The big six.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Thanks for clarifying the caliper mount orientation.
I just saw an invoice for a Hennessey 850HP Shelby 350. The cost of the upgrade including all parts and labor was $20,000. Since Ford is doing the GT500 in the thousands, I think it's safe to say the premium should be considerably under that figure.
Uh oh, Hennessey again......hush my mouth. LOL

Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Hennessy is a piece of shit company :curse::lipssealed:
That's why I said "uh oh, hush my mouth", because it was mentioned in a post and I was waiting for the fur to fly.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Thanks for clarifying the caliper mount orientation.
I just saw an invoice for a Hennessey 850HP Shelby 350. The cost of the upgrade including all parts and labor was $20,000. Since Ford is doing the GT500 in the thousands, I think it's safe to say the premium should be considerably under that figure.
Hennessey upgraded the GT350 two years ago if it is the same one and no one has bought it. It may be sold now.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
You may well be correct, but I hate this type of snobbery. There's no call for it.
What is it called when someone attacks you because you are able to afford more expensive things?

I see that as equally uncalled for, and yet its rampant here, even encouraged.

So yes, if its snobby to make fun of the poors badmouthing those in better buying positions, so be it :)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
A sentiment of "IMO it's overpriced" or "not that special" or "what's so bloody special about 'factory'" isn't an attack on those who are willing and able to drop 70+ large on a Mustang derivative. I bought 110k worth of cars in the last 90 days. The GT500 is well within my budget should I be convinced it's worthy of such sums.
Sponsored