Sponsored

Mustang Shelby GT500 will produce 760 horsepower and 625 lb-ft of torque

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The Ferrari reference was just a handy example from a company that has a decent history of making high piston speed engines. I could have picked Merc or BMW or Honda. Ford built a 5.2 FPC because they wanted to show the world that it could. Nothing wrong with that. The posting was to counter the simplistic viewpoint of we'll just bump the limiter up 1000.

I'm sorry you are offended that I chose to post some actual engineering examples and that somehow rains on the blessed GT500's accomplishments. Had ford actually produced a 9500 RPM CPC 5.2L (hell even just 9000 RPM) that would have been damn impressive. But they didn't.

And thank you for the article reference. Good read.
Sponsored

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
nobody is cross shopping 5.0s and gt500s. I was cross shopping 997 vs 991 vs GT350 and then boom GT500 announcement.

This is another one of the Poors trying to justify why 1 wont be in their garage

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
We can buy 16.5" or bigger rotors from Brembo all day long. The 6-pot is probably otherwise identical to the one found on the 350 or SS with perhaps different bolt hole location (if that).

Quite simply, no.

Ford doesn't use a Brembo rotor on the GT350 nor do they use a Brembo rotor on the GT500. All day long? Go for it.

And the Brembo caliper used on the GT500 is not "otherwise identical to the one found on the 350," not even close.

If you are implying commonality to GM's "SS" that is incorrect as well. Ford uses a radial mount with a cast-in bridge. GM uses a side mount caliper with no bridge. Not even close.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for clarifying the caliper mount orientation.
I just saw an invoice for a Hennessey 850HP Shelby 350. The cost of the upgrade including all parts and labor was $20,000. Since Ford is doing the GT500 in the thousands, I think it's safe to say the premium should be considerably under that figure.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
How does anyone use Hennessey to rationalize cost? Compare Ford to Ford or any other of the Big Three. "Tuner" companies are nowhere near the same scale and aren't even close when it comes to testing and development of hardware that must meet federal and state safety and emission standards in addition to having a legitimate warranty and parts program to support a given vehicle.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If the guy who does 'dozens' of cars can do it for 20K all-in, then a company who does 5000/yr on a factory floor during initial assembly can do it for far, far less. Tuner figures are worst case/upper bound. The GT500/350 already met federal safety and emissions standards years ago. It's not remotely a whole new design like say going from S197 to S550. Sure there's paperwork and compliance validation involved, but it's hardly big money. Shelby already builds the SuperSnake - from an emissions standpoint, the hard work was already done. (yes I know the SS uses the GT motor).

So 61K for a stock 350 shelby + 20k = 81K would be a very rich valuation.

I already posted previously that suppose the cost to develop was 50 million. That's only $2500/car assuming the 5000/yr * 4yrs lifecycle. I reckon the price will be 70K, maybe 75.

Last edited:

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
If the guy who does 'dozens' of cars can do it for 20K all-in, then a company who does 5000/yr on a factory floor during initial assembly can do it for far, far less. Tuner figures are worst case/upper bound. The GT500/350 already met federal safety and emissions standards years ago. It's not remotely a whole new design like say going from S197 to S550. Sure there's paperwork and compliance validation involved, but it's hardly big money. Shelby already builds the SuperSnake - from an emissions standpoint, the hard work was already done. (yes I know the SS uses the GT motor).

I already posted previously that suppose the cost to develop was 50 million. That's only $2500/car assuming the 5000/yr * 4yrs lifecycle. I reckon the price will be 70K, maybe 75.
Again you expose yourself for not having a clue. But yet seem to think you know what you are talking about.

The S197 and S550 are far more alike than you think. In fact a S197 front K member will bolt in. In fact some people have used them with say the CPR single turbo kit for example.

The biggest difference between the 2 is going from solid rear axle to IRS.......

An entirely new chassis is just not the case.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The S197 and S550 are far more alike than you think. In fact a S197 front K member will bolt in.
So just because the pickup points on the 2 chassis might have some similarities are you saying Ford was able to pull a Boeing and claim the S550 could be (self?) certified under the previous model's testing results? I rather doubt that. Even if in fact the chassis stampings and such were identical all the way save the IRS.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So just because the pickup points on the 2 chassis might have some similarities are you saying Ford was able to pull a Boeing and claim the S550 could be (self?) certified under the previous model's testing results? I rather doubt that. Even if in fact the chassis stampings and such were identical all the way save the IRS.

You must have hit your head today. Where did I say anything about certificates?

This is exactly what I meant previously about your random spewing about what you "think" you know about.

You are all over the place trying to compare XYZ from ABC different models and now including different chassis that according to are a "whole new design"

LOL.

The mental gymnastics from you in how you apparently come to these conclusions is impressive I will give you that...

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
Oddly enough GM has a 302 again in their 6th gen NA COPO optioned drag car......

Spins over 10k rpm too and ~700 hp.

Stuff that in a 7th gen with the latest and greatest from Multimatic and DSSV suspension then cut as much weight as possible and call it a day.

https://www.dragzine.com/news/stout-small-block-the-copo-302-cubic-inch-direct-injected-engine/
Now that's what I'm talking about. Small block, high revs, badass combo of tech and performance. put that into a stripped down camaro without air conditioning and a 25lb stereo system, back it up with giant Brembo brakes and some Michelin sport cup 2s and magnetic suspension control. That's a track beast. That's a Z28. I would buy that and visibility be damned.

Sponsored

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
Point taken but is it, really? 30-40 grand of "more"?

Let's say 15-20 of that is the supercharger, DCT, and parts directly attributable to that feature. Recycling Shelby 350 brakes is small money. The interior is still nothing special and indistinguishable from a GT Premium. The chassis (except some possible bracing) is no different from an Eco costing 23K. The suspension isn't more than 6 grand at equivalent retail - Ford should have called their friends up at Multimatic and equipped it with DSSV as standard. Heck they could have licensed Ohlins coil-overs for 3 grand at retail. The paint is unfortunately just as poor as the standard cars I would assume.

So no, the primary cachet of the GT500 is the hopped up motor. It's basically the same value position as buying a Roush, Saleen, Hennessey or SuperSnake. Except there will be a lot of them produced and have the "factory warranty". The Roush Stage 3 is +22k on the base car and makes 720 on the GT motor. The Hennessey Anniversary makes 808HP with the GT engine. Their SC edition 350R makes 858. The Shelby SuperSnake I can buy from my local Ford dealer makes over 800 and comes with Wilwood brakes and so forth. So yeah, while "only 760?" is a bit silly, there is some justification to the thought.
Sometimes a car is more than the sum of its parts, take a GT350 for example. Get a PP2 and add 20k in bolt on crap and you still don't have a GT350.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
The VIN makes the car.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now that's what I'm talking about. Small block, high revs, badass combo of tech and performance. put that into a stripped down camaro without air conditioning and a 25lb stereo system, back it up with giant Brembo brakes and some Michelin sport cup 2s and magnetic suspension control. That's a track beast. That's a Z28. I would buy that and visibility be damned.

And yet it blows my mind no one has that I know of has put ITBs on a GT350 (i hope im wrong though) The sound alone of ITBs at 8k rpm on the glorious Voodoo engine would be an eargasm forsure! Borla makes 3 different types of ITB setups for the coyote too so I know damn well it would fit a GT350 5 2 aswell.

Another thing is I dont understand why the CJ mani isnt more popular with the GT350. Fitment be damned use drop motor mounts and cradle to body spacers!

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
How anyone mentions Hennessy in other than a horrible stay away scam artist light, is beyond me

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
If it stays true to the Z28 name it should be. Pure HP isn't always the endgame.
ZL1 was always NA. Until it wasn’t. Personally I doubt there will be a 6th gen Z/28 because I think GM has moved on from 6th gen to working on 7th, but it wouldn’t be that hard to do. If, for some reason, 7th gen is closer to 6th gen in terms of chassis and suspension, then there might be a lot of temptation to drop the LT5 in the Alpha architecture and call it Z/28. LT5 will be “homeless” after July 18th. Since LT4 packages in Alpha, it’s not much more work from a packaging standpoint to drop LT5 in there.
Sponsored