Sponsored

7 speed DCT vs 10r80 for Drag racing? Road racing?

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
V8+boost+DCT is going to fun as hell

Sticky tires will be ordered 15 minutes after my order is officially placed

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
In other news, im bored as ****, so spent some time trying to ricer math this cars 1/4 potential again.

1. tremecs pdf on available gear ratios
2. Ford actual promo video, showing 1st-2nd gear shift at 7500rpm

so, with new and accurate information, it looks like Tremecs A gear ratios are being used. with knowing it will be 3.73 gears, and with an accurate tire size of 27.2 ( i used 27.7 before) per tireracks OEM sizing chart ( i hadnt seen the sizes listed before)
tires.JPG
gears 2.JPG

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The DCT is going to surprise many folks and when the old school manual trans are getting whooped on,
I'm more surprised it took this long for DCT to be offered and more so why they don't just go with a sequential transmission and be done with it.

Sponsored

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Ford didn’t go with a 10R80 based on cooling alone and i don’t blame them. Look at all the z06 and Zr1 owners with the crap 8 speed having heating/ clutch pack issues.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Ford didn’t go with a 10R80 based on cooling alone and i don’t blame them. Look at all the z06 and Zr1 owners with the crap 8 speed having heating/ clutch pack issues.
Doesn't the hellcat have the same or similar 8 speed? It doesn't overheat at all.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Doesn't the hellcat have the same or similar 8 speed? It doesn't overheat at all.
They use the ZF 8 speed aka the same one the Germans use. In just about everything

And the hellcat has way better cooling

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Remember DCTs don’t use fluid as the way to move the vehicle. A Tq converter automatic by design uses fluid to move the car. It’s complicated to explain but a DCT won’t be anywhere near as problematic at the track for heat related issues.

If ford would of used the 10R80 in the gt500 it would of taken an even more extreme cooling system, and they also need to cool a blower as well. Nevermind trying to keep de rating away

Ford did a good move with the DCT

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
They use the ZF 8 speed aka the same one the Germans use. In just about everything

And the hellcat has way better cooling
I thought gm used the same unit? Maybe I'm wrong but that was my point in regards to the cooling. I don't think it matters which trans is used it matters how much cooling you throw at a car.

Thanks for the dct info, I was not aware of that, trying to soak it all in.

Sponsored

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I thought gm used the same unit? Maybe I'm wrong but that was my point in regards to the cooling. I don't think it matters which trans is used it matters how much cooling you throw at a car.

Thanks for the dct info, I was not aware of that, trying to soak it all in.

Makes a massive difference, DCTs don’t use as a means too move the car. And NO the GM 8 speed is it’s own thing and it’s a piece of shit

NorthernBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Like wise i never see the 10-speed mustangs or camaros at laguna seca or sonoma. DCT cars on the other hand.......

Manual porsches are rarer and highly desired, we arent comparing manual vs dct. we're comparing dct vs 10-speed.
I track my 10R80 GT and its an absolute beauty on the road course and strip...here is a link to my channel with videos

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSv812OP5_8qEoWzmlHLqTw?view_as=subscriber
Throttle House track review (drag & road course) with 700K+ views:

lucasmelobr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Auto
This thread is kind of crazy.
The feel of a manual transmission is cool, I had manual mustangs all my life. I like them.

From a performance perspective:
Auto transmissions like the 10R80 or 6R80 are way faster at shifting than any human and incredibly strong(way more than any manual mustang transmissions). Talk to the whipple cars.
A DCT is a step above, it will out perform any auto and any human.

If you like manuals, that's cool. But we won't be racing F1 cars with manual transmissions. That was done in the 80s.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Remember DCTs don’t use fluid as the way to move the vehicle. A Tq converter automatic by design uses fluid to move the car. It’s complicated to explain but a DCT won’t be anywhere near as problematic at the track for heat related issues.

If ford would of used the 10R80 in the gt500 it would of taken an even more extreme cooling system, and they also need to cool a blower as well. Nevermind trying to keep de rating away

Ford did a good move with the DCT
Then what does a locking torque converter do?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I track my 10R80 GT and its an absolute beauty on the road course and strip...here is a link to my channel with videos[/MEDIA]
Are you using paddles? I can't tell from your videos whether the car even has them or not.

Norm
Sponsored