Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
That’s great @Bull Run . Thanks for confirming the ground point issue mentioned above. I would be interested to know what your experience is with the Snow Performance kit. You mind posting it here?
Sponsored

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
On a similar note to the WMI setup, the failsafe that Adam uses in his original video works very well, and its the best way imo to do it, have it auto cut your throttle. Then you switch your tune on the fly to a non wmi setup and restart the car from there and you are good till you figure out what is up. Typically my issues were just low methanol in the tank (less than 30%) or the odd ground issues or failed controller. I ended up replacing two controllers and having one rebuilt. I ended up with buying a brand new controller with a deep discount directly from AEM... The one positive thing about the AEM setup is their support is from my perspective the best I have ever dealt with, with any product I have ever purchased, EVER. They answer the phones quickly, warranty turnarounds are super fast, and they work with you even after your warranty ends especially if its a nagging problem. I would rate AEMs support 10/10 easily.

I just had some bad luck with the controller on mine and Adam's original install video while pretty detailed, using his original power and ground locations netted erratic controller reset issues. Just run power and ground directly to the battery on all of it, switches, controller etc.

DontoMelbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future EB Vert
We all know that fuel is the limiting factor in terms of reaching higher power levels when using pump gas. Where I live (Europe) I only have access to 100 Ron (93+ oct) pump gas. I came across this MAP Intake Manifold at another forum. Will this add any extra benefit powerwise?

https://www.maperformance.com/colle...anifold-2015-ford-ecoboost-mustang-map-ebm-im
Can you find this type of product in EU? There's a Ford Edge Sport guy that runs this at the 1/4mi track with tune made for high octane. Not an everyday drive around town type of additive but may be helpful if you know your going to go out an play a bit!
http://race-gas.com/

OP
OP
MakStang

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
@Bull Run , @5.0yote I am preparing myself for the WMI setup and I had a discussion with Adam about that. I have a couple of questions:
  1. I was prepared for a 50% methanol mix. Adam told me to use 70% meth + 30% distilled water. Is the % of methanol of any significance? Why 70% instead of 50% meth?
  2. He told me to use a 500cc nozzle to inject the methanol. I am not certain if Snow Performance offer a 500cc nozzle, although I am still looking into that (I am buying the kit from a supplier in Europe). What size of nozzle do you use to inject the methanol?
  3. Important: Where do you inject the methanol mix? Is it injected in the intake manifold, which means that I will have to drill a port? Someone suggested to use the following throttle body spacer, that has pre-drilled ports for nitrous or WMI applications: http://www.unleashedtuning.com/torque-solution-tb-spacer-2015-ford-mustang-ecoboost-black/
Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
throttle body
Thats a throttle body spacer, not a throttle body FYI. I know some others put it into the silicon coupler just before the throttle body too, not sure which option is better myself

OP
OP
MakStang

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
You are right @Hellman109 , thanks. I corrected it in my post.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
@Bull Run , @5.0yote I am preparing myself for the WMI setup and I had a discussion with Adam about that. I have a couple of questions:
  1. I was prepared for a 50% methanol mix. Adam told me to use 70% meth + 30% distilled water. Is the % of methanol of any significance? Why 70% instead of 50% meth?
  2. He told me to use a 500cc nozzle to inject the methanol. I am not certain if Snow Performance offer a 500cc nozzle, although I am still looking into that (I am buying the kit from a supplier in Europe). What size of nozzle do you use to inject the methanol?
  3. Important: Where do you inject the methanol mix? Is it injected in the intake manifold, which means that I will have to drill a port? Someone suggested to use the following throttle body spacer, that has pre-drilled ports for nitrous or WMI applications: http://www.unleashedtuning.com/torque-solution-tb-spacer-2015-ford-mustang-ecoboost-black/
Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
1. Methanol's about 79.1% weight of water by volume. Perhaps he's trying to get closer to 50/50 mix by weight? I started playing around with ~70% mixture recently but the benefits over the 50/50 (by volume) mix will be hard to tell unit the summer hits.
2. I'm using nozzles that came with the ProMeth port injection kit. I have a post about it somewhere but I think it came with 95 cc nozzles per cylinder and also 95 cc and 157 cc (Currently using the 157 cc one) nozzles to use as the fifth nozzle so TMAP can "see" the cooling effects of WMI.
3. Before going with the ProMeth kit, I got AEM charge pipes that came with two bongs so I can inject it pre-throttle body. That's where I'm using the 5th nozzle now. I can use the second bong for Snow's power nozzle feature but I don't think I need additional volume right now.

OP
OP
MakStang

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
OK, let me share with you guys the problem that I run into.

About 3 to 4 weeks ago, I started hearing a noise everytime on part throttle, between 3500 and 4000 rpm on gear change (either on D or S). Initially I thought it was an issue with the transmission. I took the car to a friend of mine who is a mechanic and he told me that this noise is detonation! This got me worried.

A couple of days ago, on Saturday, I took the car for a long drive, about 210km each way. An Audi started following me at 180kph (112mph), so I did a wot to show him some real muscle (lol). The Accessport was connected on the car, because I was monitoring knocks on cylilders 1 to 4 and ignition timing correction on cylinders 3 and 4. During that wot I noticed a major negative correction on cylinder 3 (-6.5). So next I decided to do a datalog while on the highway and I did another wot. At around 220kph (137mph), the car went to limp mode and the AP recorded multiple knocks on cylinder 2 and 3...

The datalog was sent to my tuner who told me that the headgasket is probably staring to go. I changed the spark plugs, just to rule them out, but I still had detonation on gear change at 3500 to 4000 rpm. Apart from this detonation, the motor feels fine, like before.

I took the car to the dealership and they will install the JE Pro Seal headgasket and ARP headstuds next week.

I believe that the stock block cannot take the extra power even of a drop-in turbo. I had a near-ecoboom experience and I was lucky enough to avoid the worst... If you want my advice, an upgraded headgasket and headstuds should at least be installed alongside the PTE or any other drop-in turbo. Although forging the engine with upgraded pistons and rods would be the ideal way to go.

However I would like to hear your ideas on the above. What could be the cause of the detonation that I hear on gear change at part throttle between 3500 and 4000 rpm? And why do I get knocks on cylinders 2 and 3? Is it really the headgasket?

I appreciate the input. Also this is the link to the datalog I referred to above:

@Juben @Glenn G

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
MakStang

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
No, it's not LSPI. LSPI happens under load. I am not under load at all. I can hear detonation on gear change, at part throttle at 3500-4000 rpm. And the above datalog was taken during a wot at high rpm.

OP
OP
MakStang

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
As I described above, the datalog was sent to my tuner who told me that the headgasket is probably staring to go. What else can it be? I am looking for ideas.

OP
OP
MakStang

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
Sort of good news. The car is currently at the dealership. They removed the head and it seems that I have a blown headgasket and coolant was leaking inside cylinders 1 to 3. I am upgrading the headgasket with the JE Pro Seal and I am also adding the ARP2000 headstuds. I am also taking the opportunity to fit a 3” catted COBB downpipe to eliminate exhaust gas back-pressure.

Pistons and rods seem to be in perfect condition, so I am not touching anything else for the time being.
Sponsored