Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

Deleted member 35786

Thanks again! If my A/C problem is the evaporator core, I'll have to think hard about selling it. What other part is going to fail down the road? I only have 9,000 miles on my car, so this is extremely disappointing. I'm sure there are others that feel the same way. Also, just heard that there's a major recall on the F-150, for a fire hazard with the seatbelts. It appears, "Quality is Job 1", is no longer the case at Ford Motor Company.
Its a 2yr warranty.
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/core-air-conditioning-evaporator-8313905-1

The seatbelt recall has nothing to do with the Mustang. And if it did so what, that's why recalls are free to repair.
Get the AC diagnosed by a Ford dealer to tell you its the Evaporator Core. Then call Ford customer service to see if they can compensate you in anyway since its outside of warranty. Some folks are having decent luck going that route. Even if you have to spend $1600 to repair so what. You will get that back in price if you decide to sell with a properly functioning AC system.
Sponsored

Humphammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2015 Limited Edition 50th Year
Having A/C problems as well. 2015 limited edition with just over 20,000 miles on it. It's very odd sometimes it works flawlessly and sometimes not. Went on a 350 mile trip and from start-up until I stopped to gas up and get a bite to eat at about the 200 mile mark it worked perfectly. When getting back into the car and continuing it took it about 25-30 miles before it started blowing continuous cold air. It would blow cold for a couple minutes and then warm and back to cold for about 30 miles and then it was good the rest of the way. Had the refrigerant checked and it was fine but it continues to be a hit or miss proposition as to whether it works or not......but it seems to have something to do with whether the car is continuously moving. In stop and go traffic it doesn't work but at a steady 50-70 mph it works fine.

p51

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver GT w/ PP
Thanks again! If my A/C problem is the evaporator core, I'll have to think hard about selling it. What other part is going to fail down the road? I only have 9,000 miles on my car, so this is extremely disappointing. I'm sure there are others that feel the same way. Also, just heard that there's a major recall on the F-150, for a fire hazard with the seatbelts. It appears, "Quality is Job 1", is no longer the case at Ford Motor Company.
Quality is job number one died when Alan Mullaly retired. Mark Fields and Jim Hackett tossed it out back and made sure it died a painful death.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Having A/C problems as well. 2015 limited edition with just over 20,000 miles on it. It's very odd sometimes it works flawlessly and sometimes not. Went on a 350 mile trip and from start-up until I stopped to gas up and get a bite to eat at about the 200 mile mark it worked perfectly. When getting back into the car and continuing it took it about 25-30 miles before it started blowing continuous cold air. It would blow cold for a couple minutes and then warm and back to cold for about 30 miles and then it was good the rest of the way. Had the refrigerant checked and it was fine but it continues to be a hit or miss proposition as to whether it works or not......but it seems to have something to do with whether the car is continuously moving. In stop and go traffic it doesn't work but at a steady 50-70 mph it works fine.
Condensor all clogged up with bugs and road debris? Can't be a leaky evaporstor if the refrigerant charge is within spec.

Humphammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Condensor all clogged up with bugs and road debris? Can't be a leaky evaporstor if the refrigerant charge is within spec.
That's what I was thinking as well. I certainly hope it's not the evaporator. As much as anything else I don't want my entire dash and console removed. I wonder how many squeaks and rattles you would pick up having that done.

Sponsored

p51

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver GT w/ PP
My theory because mine was starting to do this too and I took it to the shop and they told me it was fine. I know its not fine, but they don't know how to hadle it unless its completely failed. Anyway, my theory is that the pressure of the system is on the low end of normal, but that its leaking. leaking is causing the system to have to work harder. The ac clutch has difficulty handling it and so it disengages to protect itself until the car is going fast. or something. I'm not an ac or automotive know anything.

All I know is mine stopped blowing cold in stop and go traffic for about 10 minutes until I got back up to 70 mph, took it to the shop and they told me it was fine. Then a week later, I'm on the freeway in 5th gear and it stops blowing cold with a check engine light. Then the light turns off and it blows cold again. I hate this car.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Does the fan turn on or speed up when you turn on the A/C? Sounds like there's not enough low-speed airflow through the condenser - have you noticed any higher engine temps at low speed or idling? If the charge is OK and the A/C works fine at speed, I'd be looking at fan controls and how the fan is running with A/C on and parked.

Humphammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does the fan turn on or speed up when you turn on the A/C? Sounds like there's not enough low-speed airflow through the condenser - have you noticed any higher engine temps at low speed or idling? If the charge is OK and the A/C works fine at speed, I'd be looking at fan controls and how the fan is running with A/C on and parked.
That sounds plausible, however when I had it checked for refrigerant and they put a temperature probe into the air vent the car was sitting still at idle. Everything checked out fine. When you have something that works intermittently it can drive you mad. Right now it's 95 degrees where I live and I'm driving my Tundra everywhere I go because I don't know if the A/C in my Mustang will work or leave me soaked with sweat.

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
Has anyone purchased an aftermarket extended warranty (that you are happy with) to deal with the multiple evap core failures?

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
Has anyone had any success escalating the evap core issue up the chain with Ford?

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Has anyone purchased an aftermarket extended warranty (that you are happy with) to deal with the multiple evap core failures?
Most people buy the extended official Ford warranty through Flood Ford, which has very good prices.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Has anyone had any success escalating the evap core issue up the chain with Ford?
Several posts/threads about Ford covering most of the cost out of warranty. Not enough info to tell how easy to get or how long out of warranty Ford will go.

jayvajj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Add me to the list I guess; warranty just expired as I'm about 700 miles over. Ford customer service immediately covered $1100 of the repair bill, leaving me with roughly $400 in repair costs to replace the evaporator.

The dealership didn't really do anything but tell me to call Ford customer service and left me playing the voicemail game unable to reach the customer service manager.

OP
OP
JustPlainJay

JustPlainJay

JustPlainJay
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I had to pry information out of them but it seems that they put green dye in the system and then bring it up to pressure and notice the failure/leak. The tech said a lot of it is made of plastic. I reconfirmed with the tech that this is an inferior factory part and problem with multiple occurrences.

Like you, I've not had a car so new have a an AC problem. It concerns me what other parts of the AC (and others) are going to go out after the warranty.
Fast forward to August 2018. My gut was right. I am two months out of warranty and guess what? A/C is blowing hot. Diagnosis from dealer: bad evaporator...again. Warranty for previous evaporator - 12 months/12,000 miles. I'm not covered.

So, that is two evaporators that only lasted 1 1/2 years each. Done with Ford.
I'm not going to wait around for more substandard parts to go bad. Sold it to a dealer. I laugh that they have it on their lot saying "100 point inspected" or some other B.S. I feel bad for the next sucker when the freon charge runs out and God knows what else.

Parts replaced under 3 year warranty: evaporator core, two windshield sprayers, back up camera, coil, spark plug and 2 hub speed sensors (a month apart). It was a fun ride but Ford needs to get it together in this day and age.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Fast forward to August 2018. My gut was right. I am two months out of warranty and guess what? A/C is blowing hot. Diagnosis from dealer: bad evaporator...again. Warranty for previous evaporator - 12 months/12,000 miles. I'm not covered.

So, that is two evaporators that only lasted 1 1/2 years each. Done with Ford.
I'm not going to wait around for more substandard parts to go bad. Sold it to a dealer. I laugh that they have it on their lot saying "100 point inspected" or some other B.S. I feel bad for the next sucker when the freon charge runs out and God knows what else.

Parts replaced under 3 year warranty: evaporator core, two windshield sprayers, back up camera, coil, spark plug and 2 hub speed sensors (a month apart). It was a fun ride but Ford needs to get it together in this day and age.

Careful, the fanboys or Ford employee plants will tell you all the car manufacturers have issues. Lexus and Toyota owners would be jealous at that list of problems! You will regret leaving your Mustang as it was likely the most reliable car you will own - at least that is what they will say.

Meanwhile my V6 Mustang is 1 1/2 years old and not one problem or rattle to speak of. I’m settling in for the long haul and ordered jacking rails. It is funny that the most reliable Mustang gets a disparaging send off only to be replaced models that are plagued with problems. I actually wanted problems as the Mustang awoke the gear head in me and planned to upgrade, but no such luck.

This is the way life goes I guess... Good luck with your new ride!
Sponsored