Sponsored

Engine bay cleaning

hedonest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Competition orange 2015 GT
I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to put some pics / videos of their engine bay cleaning steps. There seem to be none specifically for 2015. I have never done one before and would be interested to see if any components need to be covered, what steps need to be taken to ensure I dont mess it up... :)

If I missed a thread here, apologies and please guide me to it.
Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Really the trick is the less water the better and absolutely nothing with pressure. Pressure can force water in the seals.

Cleaner and a brush and lightly mist with water to get the cleaner off. You should be fine.

Tweezy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
17'GT on Order
I use Adams polishes to clean my engine bay I get a bucket of water mixed with all purpose cleaner then I hose the engine bay and use a tire scrubbing brush mixed with the water and all purpose cleaner. Then I dry it all off and use the VRT shine product to give it a nice look. Here is a link to the video, I basically mirrored the video and it turned out great [ame="[MEDIA=youtube]rZvEZrgyoX0[/MEDIA]"]Adams Polishes Engine Bay Cleaning[/ame]

Gdyup50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I just have a real hard time spraying water into my engine.....

OP
OP

hedonest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Competition orange 2015 GT
just to be sure and to be specific for GT's:
1. we dont need to cover or secure any specific part?
2. all major components are water sealed?
3. no exposed electrical components or wiring?

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
just to be sure and to be specific for GT's:
1. we dont need to cover or secure any specific part?
2. all major components are water sealed?
3. no exposed electrical components or wiring?
I would still cover the fuse box on the left of the engine bay because it's covered but not sealed. Cover any fluids cap just make sure they don't get in the fluids.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
1. Remove any plastic covers for the engine.
2. Spray everything with an industrial cleaner, such as Formula 409 and let sit for 5 minutes.
3. Spray rinse everything being careful around the fuse box and any electrical sensors. Usually anything that needs to be protected from water has a seal.
4. Blow off any sitting water on flat surfaces or in pockets.
5. Go drive the car for 10-15 minutes to dry everything off.
6. Wipe anything off that is still wet or needs more precise cleaning.

The engine bay will look like the day the car was built.

daytripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13GT500,'15 GT
I am not nearly brave enough to hose down my motor. When I was a teenager a friend told me he cleaned his motor at the spray car wash.I wasted no time doing mine.It looked good with all the soap and high-pressure spray.The problem was it wouldnt start. After quite awhile I finally dried inside the distributor and and it fired up.
I still dont think it's a great plan. None of the electrical stuff is designed to be soaped and sprayed. The advice provided by the hot and hard working girl to make sure your motor is cool should help.

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance
I use Adams polishes to clean my engine bay I get a bucket of water mixed with all purpose cleaner then I hose the engine bay and use a tire scrubbing brush mixed with the water and all purpose cleaner. Then I dry it all off and use the VRT shine product to give it a nice look. Here is a link to the video, I basically mirrored the video and it turned out great Adams Polishes Engine Bay Cleaning
is it me or does a few other guys want to get into a few tight spots with the girl. every time she bent over i was hoping for a better view. god i love blonds.... :clap2::shrug::headbang:

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I am not nearly brave enough to hose down my motor. When I was a teenager a friend told me he cleaned his motor at the spray car wash.I wasted no time doing mine.It looked good with all the soap and high-pressure spray.The problem was it wouldnt start. After quite awhile I finally dried inside the distributor and and it fired up.
I still dont think it's a great plan. None of the electrical stuff is designed to be soaped and sprayed. The advice provided by the hot and hard working girl to make sure your motor is cool should help.
Just don't use high pressure. Normal water pressure with a fan out nozzle is good.

Sponsored

danny0441

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt DIB
if its one thing ive learned over the years is give your engine a quick run down every time you wash your car with a damp microfiber and you'll likely never get it dirty enough to have to take a water hose and degreaser to it

Carlosa_garcia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium DIB PP 6MT
if its one thing ive learned over the years is give your engine a quick run down every time you wash your car with a damp microfiber and you'll likely never get it dirty enough to have to take a water hose and degreaser to it
Exactly! Plus a lot of water collects under the hood. Nothing worse than driving off in your clean car just to have water sneak out from under hood and leave water streaks!

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
^This, the car also has the bottom engine panels which helps in keeping quite a bit of road wash and dirt from getting up into the engine area. At least thats what l have noticed.
Sponsored