Sponsored

Venting on windshield repair

Dortzs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, PP, 50 yrpks.2016 Saleen BLK LB
I took my car in the dealership to have my breaks looked at and the rattling next to the speedometer . I get a call from the service writer telling me that my rear view mirror was loose so they ordered a new one . Everything good so far . When they tried to install the review mirror the guys broke the windshield . It has been 16 days and they can't get a windshield and they don't have an Eta . I called safelight and hey could install the windshield in 2 day OEM and all . I am so annoyed at this point and all the service advisor can tell me is we don't have an ETA. I am going to call safelight an ask them to install it at dealership and bill them for it . It has been 16 day !!!!! ( venting lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored

rainier446

Professional Amateur Tech
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
'15 OW GT/PP
Remind your dealer it is the same as the fusion windshield. I had to get mine replaced (took a rock at about 35 mph cracked half the windshield) and I walked in on a Thursday night they told me to come back in the morning on Friday. I drove off that same Friday afternoon with a brand new windshield. (Road noise was quieter than factory even) I would not wait 16 days for a new windshield especially since they broke it. They would have to do some serious ass kissing if it was me.
Did you get the safelite windshield or the OEM? I just took a rock this morning and I'm not sure if I can just get it repaired or if I need a whole new one.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
I am going to call safelight an ask them to install it at dealership and bill them for it .

Oh please please do this and let me know how it turns out for you *sic*

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
To be honest I am really hoping this was resolved already. This thread is from August. I am however curious if the safelite approach worked.

Sponsored

Zemedici

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
This. There's a right way to do things and a wrong way......

That being said, the glass from ford comes in broken about 85% of the time, why not just ask them to replace it with an aftermarket, readily available piece?

Dawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT convertible
The glass Ford is using these days is horseshit.

rainier446

Professional Amateur Tech
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
'15 OW GT/PP
The glass Ford is using these days is horseshit.
To be fair I feel like there's an absorbent amount of road debris, or I just don't remember there being this much. Seems like there's road construction everywhere nowadays from poor patch jobs turning into whole roads needing ground down and repaved.

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Speaking of windshields I'm on my 3rd one these things suck

Dawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT convertible
To be fair I feel like there's an absorbent amount of road debris, or I just don't remember there being this much. Seems like there's road construction everywhere nowadays from poor patch jobs turning into whole roads needing ground down and repaved.
Maybe so. But have you noticed the little sparkles in the glass when the sun hits the windshield and you are looking through it? It's almost like the fibers that cheap microfibers leave behind after cleaning the glass, only they are actually in the glass. I suspect that whoever is making the windshields for Ford is not following the process to the letter, causing micro fractures at microscopic levels causing the matrix to be more brittle than normal leading to premature failures.

I've had my Stang since early July and due to other competing toys, have not used it very much (450 miles) in the short time I've had it, it hasn't been exposed to dirt, sand or gravel roads. I was just at a meet and greet with a bunch of guys from a Mustang club and three other guys have 15's and their windshields were the same.

My wife has a Focus that the windshield exhibited the same sparkles and she took a rock hit and the windshield cracked. We replaced it with Safelight and no sparkles in the new one. Nice and clear.

I could be way off base with my thoughts, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dortzs550

Dortzs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sorry for the late response to your question . So it took the dealership 17 days to get a new windshield . They kept giving me the round around until I asked a relative that works for a dealership for advise . Long story short what the dealership did was file a warranty claim trough Ford so they would not have to pay for a new windshield . It took ford 17 days to get the windshield to California :/. The bright side of things I had a new Lincoln MKZ as a free rental the hole time:).

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
How was the MKZ?

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
I am on my third as well. It doesn't take much of a rock shot to break the windshield. And I have not been lucky enough to get star breaks. Instant runners! But Safe-Lite has handled both, the next day, with factory glass. Can't say enough good about them.

OP
OP
Dortzs550

Dortzs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How was the MKZ?

I was very impressed , it is very smooth ride , handles very nice. It is so smooth that I was doing 90 mph on the freeway before I realized how fast I was going . Mpg is impressive compared to the Mustang Gt but then again it's a ecoboost , Over all the car is very impressive for a daily driver and or a family sedan .

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I'm glad I am not alone here!!! I am on my 4th one! Original + 3rd replacement! Each time I use Safelite and I ask for OEM glass. All of my cracks began with an impact spot within an inch or 2 from the edge. This last one was the biggest, spreading clear across!

Interestingly, today in the sunshine I did notice some of what you are calling "sparkles" but I attributed it to being dirty. I made a mental note to put clean windshield on the to-do list. Now it makes me wonder.

I noticed the windshield prior to it being set in, it does seem somewhat thin when looking at a cross-section and the way the guy picked it up seemed like it was lightweight too.
Sponsored