Sponsored

Free front swaybar mod

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
Noob's Driving Impressions:

I just drove this car for an hour around town with the free swaybar mod. The car wants to go much straighter than before and there is more resistance to turning. I have a better feel for the road and wherever I point the steering wheel, the car immediately goes. Before this mod, the steering was a bit numb feeling and the front end of the car did not feel quite planted to the road even on sport mode which felt real fake. I haven't driven many cars, but the closest I can relate this car's front end to now is a C5 vette. Yesterday's hard work was worth it. To the above poster, I am not sure I understand your statement since the lever arm for the swaybar has shortened, thus my different feeling front end. Additionally, the link will not fit the rearmost upper mount if in the swaybar's stiffer setting. I don't believe even if it would fit that it would be a good way to mount it due to the addition of greater horizontal forces. Right now, the force the swaybar would exert is mostly vertical and parallel with the strut.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: DR_

leszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 CO GT PP vert
I went through one old set of titanium drill bits and then had to go to the store to get another set to finish the passenger side.
FYI - Cobalt drill bits are used to drill through steel. I would recommend to stay away from titanium for this particular job.

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
FYI - Cobalt drill bits are used to drill through steel. I would recommend to stay away from titanium for this particular job.
Thanks, man. I was wondering how the rest of you guys did this. I hope by posting about this, I save someone lots of frustration and time.

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
Pics of the finished project:

Sponsored

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry

greg hazlett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport
Hmmm....been putting this off, reading the headaches of drilling made me lean toward just getting a FSB when BMR has their BF sales....already bought the BMR sway bar links....wonder how much of an upgrade the BMR FSB will be over the PP sway bars?

leszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 CO GT PP vert
wonder how much of an upgrade the BMR FSB will be over the PP sway bars?
As per BMR earlier in the thread - The new hole is equivalent to the softest setting on the BMR FSB. It makes a good combo with the BMR RSB at the softest setting.

greg hazlett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport
Understand; wondering what the cost vs time would be do buy the BMR FSB vice spending a lot of time drilling/having to buy a bunch of bits?

I am definitely getting the BMR RSB when the BF sales happen.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
So what is the point of putting a hole in the sway bar further towards the front of the car if you are going to relocated the endlinks even closer to the new hole you just made?

Sponsored

leszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 CO GT PP vert
So what is the point of putting a hole in the sway bar further towards the front of the car if you are going to relocated the endlinks even closer to the new hole you just made?
So that they stay vertical to the bar and the bar stays horizontal to the pivot point. In the rear if you use an adjustable bar (like most aftermarket ones) you might need an adjustable end link to keep the bar horizontal depending on the hole you select.

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Moving the hole in the bar increases the roll stiffness. Moving the end link on the strut makes sure it acts completely in the vertical direction as it does in the stock location.

Kcode

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robb
Vehicle(s)
TY EcoBoost Prem Vert Auto PerfPkg Nav
Good inexpensive mod!

I struggled with trying to drill the holess while the bar was still mounted on the car. I found a few long extensions allowed the anti sway bar mounts to be loosened from the top.

I removed r/s wheel and found bar removal quite easy with a bit of fiddling. I used professional quality drill bits in drill press and it still took quite a bit of effort. I have added the BMR end links. I have the rear Eibach bar in center position. Car feels great. Good turn in, less roll, controlled oversteer when exiting corner under power.

Good mod to save a little money. AND makes you feel better then just bolting on parts.

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
So going back to the guy who couldn't rotate his bar to drill it, I found the same problem. I notice he has a PP car and some others are non-PP cars. Are the front sway bar bushings on the PP cars different? I took my bar out and the front bushings appear to be presssed in, I tried for a little while and couldn't not get the damn things to move at all, even after lube!!
IMG_0285.jpg
IMG_0286.jpg
IMG_0287.jpg

leszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 CO GT PP vert
If the sway bar can't rotate then it can't do its job! It should be replaced under warranty no?
Sponsored