Sponsored

This is what Ford must do in 2017

oustaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully 2016 Mustang
I was pretty set on getting a 2016 Mustang ecoboost but the new Camaro really has me doubting. I am not really fan of the tail lights design but the 335 naturally aspirated v6 and premium interior available for V6 is enough for me to consider it. I don't know if anyone at Ford will read this but to counter the Camaro, they should offer a premium NA v6 with around 350 hp and aluminium door to save weight and offer the ecoboost for Overseas or as a base model.
Sponsored

comagt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Modded turbo 4 > v6 NA anyday. Ford knew this from the start. Chevy appears to be taking the long road to get there. In other words, the turbo four motors can support an aftermarket that helps sell the car. Expect the v6 to drop off entirely.

Fox5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP magnetic
A tuned Eco will hunt down the 4 and 6 no problem.

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
I prefer the way GM is doing their engine lineup but we'll have to wait and see if that V6 Camaro will live up to the hype.

I don't think Ford needs to do anything for 2017, either. Both cars have solid engine lineups and 20-30 horsepower shouldn't really be the decision point when someone is considering both.

Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Yea maybe the new 16' Camaro V6 will be a nice engine but the rear end of that car is fugly. Even the front end doesn't do much for me. I've had 2 5th gen Camaro's in the past and i was hoping the new Camaro would of been better looking than what they did. The Mustang's styling is head and shoulders better than the Camaro.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
It's simply 2 different strategies. GM is positioning their V6 as the high volume seller to the masses and Ford is positioning their Ecoboost (all of the rental car agencies are stocking Ecoboost and not V6 and I see 10 Ecoboosts to every 1 V6 or GT).

Neither is right or wrong, nor does Ford need to do anything. Go buy a Camaro then. The Ecoboost can wipe the floor with a N/A V6 very easily with very little in mods.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
v8 or go home but turbo 4 over 6.

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
The modding community will prefer the Turbo 4 to the NA V6 because of cheap, easy power gains. Already the EB motors are seen as a sort of power-on-the-cheap option. Also, whether or not the V6 Camaro is quicker stock, the Ecoboost will probably FEEL faster, due to the significantly greater torque accessible down low. Tuned, it's a torque monster. Forget it. The NA V6s will see taillights. More seat-of-the-pants feel. The EB motor not only has more of that torque, but it gives it to you right away (and with minimal turbo lag fuss). It will pull from any gear, really.

It's what sold me on the Ecoboost over the 3.7 despite negligible horsepower difference and I have a feeling it will continue to sell EBs even with the '16 Camaro's V6 in the mix. The butt dyno is a powerful decision maker. The Camaro's 2.0 turbo is a non-starter and no threat. Sub-300 horsepower doesn't belong in a newly built muscle car.

Ford did the right thing going with a tuner's delight as the mid-range offering. They knew the market would like them because of Focus ST and Fiesta ST sales.

Sponsored

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Coulda had a V8
And someday I will, when I have a spare $40k or so to build one exactly the way I want it. Incidentally, the nice fuel economy and cheap price of this EB will help to that end :). And I get to drive something a lot more fun than an econobox in the meantime.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
:rolleyes: :lol: :frusty:

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
What they really need to do.

Lighten the car by 125-150 lbs across the board.

Fix the front end that gives the illusion that someone put a spacer lift kit on the front end.

8 speed tranny

Get rid of that center stack on the base car that looks like an early 90 design.

Premium interior option that one's beyond the current options by a few steps.

Eb needs a larger engine with 335 hp to match competition. 2.3 is already pushed far enough. Displacement increase needed.

GT needs 5.2 displacement bump or direct injection. I would love to see the Flat plane engine option on the gt but I doubt that happens. Maybe it's time for the 3.5 twin scroll to come along as an option somewhere in the lineup.

I really think the new Camaro is going to take advantage of coming late to the party and give the current iteration of the mustang are hard time in side by side comparisons. I'm not a current camaro fan but I really dig the new smaller size and lighter weight, I really like the short overhangs also. I wish they had strayed a little further from the current design though. Interior wise I like the mustang as long as we are talking premium with recaros.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Not likely to see the 3.7 NA V6 get any larger role in the future.

What I wonder is whether we will see the 2.7 EB V6 in a mid model. That engine powered an F150 SuperCab to a 14.3 at 95! That truck weighs 4900 pounds! Think what it would do in a 3700 pound Mustang. Pretty awesome.
Sponsored