ETCH

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance
That can happen in any state. I saw something similar when I was living in Illinois. I was driving south in an 85 Toyota Cressida (so it was not a flashy car) on I-290/IL 53 in an area with 4 lanes each way. I was in the second lane (two open lanes to my left) with almost no traffic and good weather during the day, meaning absolutely no condition/visibility issues present at all. I had the cruise set at 55 in a 55, as I know that road can sometimes have a special state police speed enforcement unit, aka the wolfpack, patrolling it. Since I had not seen it recently, it was probably due, and driving fast in light traffic is a sure way to get noticed. Just south of Woodfield, a cop pulls in behind me and starts tailgating me for more than a mile. Finally, someone in the line of traffic behind us SLOWLY starts to pass one lane to the left...maybe 56 mph. The cop swoops in behind, hits his lights, and pulls the guy over...

Sometimes a cop just has a bad day and wants to take it out on some poor sap. It shouldn't happen, but it does.
If you are foolish enough to pass a cop at any speed, you are foolish enough to get pulled over. I would doubt the driver got a ticket, more of a "are you kidding me!!!":shrug:
Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
lol I pass cops all the time. Only time I got stopped, the cop was in the wrong, i passed him as he was still accelerating from turning onto the road. I think he was just having a bad day and thought he was going faster than he was. No ticket or anything. Cop thought he was going 60 and that I passed him going faster than 60, Meanwhile I was definitely only going 60. Edit: actually now that I think about it, I think he just pulled up beside me at the light and gave me a "talk" and I was like "OK"

Granted I don't pass them if they're going more than 5 over but anything around there on a highway has been pretty safe. However there are certain small towns you don't want to be going 1mph over the speed limit, but every state has those.

AlphalphaMale

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 370Z
Back in the day I ran my 1990 5.0 5-speed at an indicated speed of just about 140 mph on Autobahn 5 in Germany. There was a sign just south of the Frankfurt airport on the southbound side - 4 straight arrows it showed for the next 18 kilometers. I took that as a go fast sign.

The '90 5.0 was stronger in 4th gear, 5th gear seemed to top out about 135 - but after running for probably less than a minute, I let off the gas and noticed the engine temperature had climbed from below the 1/2 mark to about the 3/4 mark.

Back on the '15 GT:
On Youtube there's a video of Hennesey going 0-150 and I believe C&D give a time in the 24-second range for there testing of the GT 0-150.
That seems unlikely - in that video you're referring to it took longer than 24 seconds just to go from 140 to 150.

101charley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charley
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Magnetic, 400A, 6AT, 3.55, MBRP Street
I usually lose my nerve at 140 and shut it down.

Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
I usually lose my nerve at 140 and shut it down.
Yea strangely enough 140 is where I feel a little uneasy as well and get a little nervous. Not scared of the sensation of speed really, just the knowledge of how much ground you're covering. Even on the track on my bike, hitting 150 felt a little nuts.

I can't say that I'm scared, but it's just a weird feeling. Probably because it's not something many people are used to experiencing. I'm sure if you or I did it more often it would feel more normal.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Don't ruin the fun. If people want to go really fast in areas where they know they can get away with it and not hurt anybody then so be it.
I do all my serious speeding at places that look like this ↓↓↓. Not only do I get do drive up to about double NJ's maximum highway speed limit with impunity . . . I'm at least unoffically encouraged to do so.

picture.jpg

I'd rather be at 100+ in traffic on the track with people I have some confidence in than than 5 over on the highway around people I don't.

picture.jpg

Norm

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
That seems unlikely - in that video you're referring to it took longer than 24 seconds just to go from 140 to 150.
So the question is, how did C&D got 150 mph in 24 second range? I saw the video on youtube the Henessey shifts to 6th gear not even in the redline range so they might have shifted early :shrug:

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
2015s are electronically limited to 155 as most productions cars are now (like my 2013 370Z).
I thought it was set higher. One of the magazines stated their "as tested top speed was 164mph."

I think it was the test with the Camaro, Challenger and Mustang.

adrift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mercedes Benz GLK
It appears something wasn't right with that car/test in the Hennesey video, but the fact there is he did reach 150 mph.

If you go to C&D, search for "2015 Ford Mustang GT Manual" on their site and you'll find an instrumented test article. If you then open the Test Sheet (in the Downloads section) which is a PDF, you'll see their test results are

0-150 mph in 25.4 seconds.

I've seen another source that tested it in about 27 secs, but surely C&D is credible enough.

Sponsored

adrift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mercedes Benz GLK
I thought it was set higher. One of the magazines stated their "as tested top speed was 164mph."

I think it was the test with the Camaro, Challenger and Mustang.
Todd it's the same C&D article I quoted above on the 0-150 mph in 25.4 seconds.

Their exact statement on top speed is:

Top speed (governor limited): 164 mph

You guys that have a new '15 GT, first of all Congratulations, and second, if any of you get to a track where you can reach those speeds, it be good to hear (and see) what the car can do. I'm leaning towards a convertible but waiting to see what the GT500 brings (and saving money in the meantime), either way a convertible won't be as fast on the top end as a hardtop.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Governor Limited Top Speed is 155mph not 164 mph. Also this car with 3.15 or 3.31 gears should be capable of hitting 180+ mph no problem. I grew up in europe and even a Stock Honda Civic with a whimpy 1.6 lt 120 hp motor can reach up to 231 km/h or 144 mph. There is a youtube video to prove this. Our cars however are geared for acceleration not top speed. But if a civic can do 144 mph what do u think a 435 hp more aerodynamic beast can do? I m estimating 180+ mph.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Governor Limited Top Speed is 155mph not 164 mph. Also this car with 3.15 or 3.31 gears should be capable of hitting 180+ mph no problem. I grew up in europe and even a Stock Honda Civic with a whimpy 1.6 lt 120 hp motor can reach up to 231 km/h or 144 mph. There is a youtube video to prove this. Our cars however are geared for acceleration not top speed. But if a civic can do 144 mph what do u think a 435 hp more aerodynamic beast can do? I m estimating 180+ mph.
You sure about that 155 thing? I know 155 is the standard on European cars, but everything I've read says that it's 164 on the GT.

FiveLiterDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I've done 143 MPH in a 300A GT with 3.55 fifth gear and still pulling strong.

***"Closed Course, Professional driver"***

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If you guys think a ticket and a car impounded for going over 100mph is harsh, you should come to the UK! If you're caught doing over 100mph its a court appearance and a sizable risk of your license just being flat out taken from you for between 7 to 56 days depending on the circumstances surrounding the incident. Ban or not, its 6 points on the license (12 is the total we can accrue).

Thankfully, I live in the far North of England, meaning Westminster couldn't care any less about how we live so we don't have as many nannies patrolling the road network due to decreased funding (hell, sometimes there aren't any there at all).

Going in excess of 100mph is a very common sight indeed. Interestingly, whenever I see or hear about a major crash in the North its never excessive speed - its always distracted or inattentive drivers. Mobile Phones were the biggest cause of accidents in my local area at last check.

I myself have done 125mph in my Hot Hatch (Mustang's aren't in the UK yet! :D ).

I have a friend in PA who recently stepped up from a Honda Jazz (Honda Fit) into a 2014 Dodge Charger. He went 120~130mph without noticing for the first month with that boat of a car! Me going from a 201bhp Hot Hatch to a 400+hp V8 will probably end up doing the same thing.
Sponsored