Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Thank you, yes, this stretch its a war zone. I-595 isn't better. I-75 out West is ok.
Land of Kamakaze SUV warriors. In the late eighties this crap would get you pulled over by FHP so fast you wouldn’t even know where heck they came from.
Sponsored

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
Great explanation of Perception time/Reaction time below. At 60 mph the approximate distance traveled is 123’ before the foot hits the brake once something is perceived. 1.4 sec@ 88fps

“Determination of whether a person could have reacted quickly enough to avoid an accident is commonly done by accident reconstruction experts. Often the issue is determining whether a driver was paying attention to the roadway, or whether a slower vehicle speed could have prevented an accident. Our engineering experts have investigated many of these accidents over the past decades; this article summarizes some of the more important aspects of such an investigation.
After a person becomes aware of a dangerous situation, some time will elapse before he can take evasive or defensive action against it. This time interval, commonly called the reaction time, has been found to be roughly 0.7 seconds for all normal persons, regardless of their background and training. This suggests that the reaction time depends on some basic aspect of the human physiology-involving the brain, nervous system, and muscles-which does not vary much from person to person. It also takes a finite amount of time for a person to perceive that there is a dangerous situation that requires action; the combined time for a person to perceive a threat and react to is is known as the perception-reaction time. This combined time is, of course, slightly longer than the reaction time; in cases relevant to accident reconstruction it is often on the order of 1.5 seconds, though it can be slightly faster (near 0.7 seconds) if the situation is anticipated to some degree. Alternatively, a highly ambiguous situation, where the need for a reaction is not obvious, can result in an even higher perception-reaction time.
Several considerations must be made before applying this concept to accident analysis. First, the time interval must be counted from the instant the brain, having perceived the potential danger, decides that an accident is imminent. For example, if a car approaches an intersection and the driver sees another car that might cross his path, some time may go by while he views the second car, but his reaction time-interval does not start until his brain perceives that there is actually danger of collision.
Second, the 0.7 second reaction time applies only if the person knows what to do to avert the danger. In the case of an impending collision, the use of the brakes to slow the car is well known and in fact is ordinarily habitual, so that there is no delay (other than the reaction time itself) in applying the brakes when necessary. In some cases, however, the driver may try to avoid the collision by steering. If he can immediately decide which way to turn, then the reaction time starts immediately. If he is indecisive, (as he may well be under conditions of panic) then a further delay takes place as he decides which way to turn; thus he cannot start to turn the steering wheel until 0.7 second after this decision is made. By this time, it may be too late to avoid the collision.
There are certain human reactions that occur in less time than 0.7 seconds. These involve reflex actions-as in withdrawing the hand from a hot surface that it has inadvertently touched. The apparent reason for this is that reflexes are instinctive rather than learned, and so bypass the physiological mechanisms that are responsible for the 0.7-second delay in responding to danger that is recognized in advance.
Now we return to the case of the two cars approaching the intersection with the possibility of collision, and consider the time interval in which car B is visible to driver A but before the latter has decided that collision is imminent. This time interval is often called the perception time. As another example, one may consider the case of a trucker unloading a truck such that, as the unloading proceeds, the remaining stack of goods on the truck becomes increasingly unstable. In this case, the perception time is the time during which the trucker becomes increasingly aware of the possibility of the stack falling on him, but before he decides that this dangerous possibility is imminent.
It is apparent from the above examples that perception time, unlike reaction time, is very different in different circumstances. Further, the more quickly one recognizes the potential danger, thereby reducing the perception time, the greater the chance of avoiding accidents-in the first example by stopping the vehicle earlier, and in the second by stepping out of the path of fall of the unstable stack.”

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
Great explanation of Perception time/Reaction time below. At 60 mph the approximate distance traveled is 123’ before the foot hits the brake once something is perceived. 1.4 sec@ 88fps

“Determination of whether a person could have reacted quickly enough to avoid an accident is commonly done by accident reconstruction experts. Often the issue is determining whether a driver was paying attention to the roadway, or whether a slower vehicle speed could have prevented an accident. Our engineering experts have investigated many of these accidents over the past decades; this article summarizes some of the more important aspects of such an investigation.
After a person becomes aware of a dangerous situation, some time will elapse before he can take evasive or defensive action against it. This time interval, commonly called the reaction time, has been found to be roughly 0.7 seconds for all normal persons, regardless of their background and training. This suggests that the reaction time depends on some basic aspect of the human physiology-involving the brain, nervous system, and muscles-which does not vary much from person to person. It also takes a finite amount of time for a person to perceive that there is a dangerous situation that requires action; the combined time for a person to perceive a threat and react to is is known as the perception-reaction time. This combined time is, of course, slightly longer than the reaction time; in cases relevant to accident reconstruction it is often on the order of 1.5 seconds, though it can be slightly faster (near 0.7 seconds) if the situation is anticipated to some degree. Alternatively, a highly ambiguous situation, where the need for a reaction is not obvious, can result in an even higher perception-reaction time.
Several considerations must be made before applying this concept to accident analysis. First, the time interval must be counted from the instant the brain, having perceived the potential danger, decides that an accident is imminent. For example, if a car approaches an intersection and the driver sees another car that might cross his path, some time may go by while he views the second car, but his reaction time-interval does not start until his brain perceives that there is actually danger of collision.
Second, the 0.7 second reaction time applies only if the person knows what to do to avert the danger. In the case of an impending collision, the use of the brakes to slow the car is well known and in fact is ordinarily habitual, so that there is no delay (other than the reaction time itself) in applying the brakes when necessary. In some cases, however, the driver may try to avoid the collision by steering. If he can immediately decide which way to turn, then the reaction time starts immediately. If he is indecisive, (as he may well be under conditions of panic) then a further delay takes place as he decides which way to turn; thus he cannot start to turn the steering wheel until 0.7 second after this decision is made. By this time, it may be too late to avoid the collision.
There are certain human reactions that occur in less time than 0.7 seconds. These involve reflex actions-as in withdrawing the hand from a hot surface that it has inadvertently touched. The apparent reason for this is that reflexes are instinctive rather than learned, and so bypass the physiological mechanisms that are responsible for the 0.7-second delay in responding to danger that is recognized in advance.
Now we return to the case of the two cars approaching the intersection with the possibility of collision, and consider the time interval in which car B is visible to driver A but before the latter has decided that collision is imminent. This time interval is often called the perception time. As another example, one may consider the case of a trucker unloading a truck such that, as the unloading proceeds, the remaining stack of goods on the truck becomes increasingly unstable. In this case, the perception time is the time during which the trucker becomes increasingly aware of the possibility of the stack falling on him, but before he decides that this dangerous possibility is imminent.
It is apparent from the above examples that perception time, unlike reaction time, is very different in different circumstances. Further, the more quickly one recognizes the potential danger, thereby reducing the perception time, the greater the chance of avoiding accidents-in the first example by stopping the vehicle earlier, and in the second by stepping out of the path of fall of the unstable stack.”
i really hope this was cut'n'paste! :crazy:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Great piece of the subject of spacing. Almost every day I have someone so close that I almost cannot see their headlights. Obviously they have not the slightest clue as to spacing. I'm an observant, detailed person, so in that light I hate to state what I see continuously. Most of the drivers driving on my bumper are young women, with no clue as how long it would take to stop their car. If they had a formula 1 car they would have zero chance to stop before crashing into my car. Anyone who doubts my observations can bet me, put money on the table, and take a ride with me. I can tell you that I would enjoy immensely spending the winning bets.
True.

My general rule is to follow 2 seconds behind the car in front and add another two seconds if the car behind me isn't doing the same. That way if the car in front slams on the brakes, I can tippy tap mine for a few seconds to give the one behind a heads up.

When someone pulls into the gap in front of me, I back off to recreate the gap. But even with BMW and other drivers who don't signal, you can often tell when someone wants in that gap. So, I treat them like they used the signal and back off before they change in.

I don't mind paying for any slight delays to my destination.

My driving pleasure is about max street safe Gs. You can't accelerate or brake at those Gs on the street when you're closer to cars in front or back. Pretty much the same turning.

Payback has been very few and zero at fault accidents since one at age 16, 57 years ago. And the two times I was rear ended I was at a stop with no way to get out of the way.

Had my share of close calls, many of which would have been accidents if I didn't use the 2 second rule. I've had a few accidents with stop sign and red-light runners. Some were situations where I could not see the runners due to other traffic but might have been avoided if I slowed to get a better view.

And I admit to having decided it's not practical to ALWAYS make sure you can see any avoidable runners. Hidden runners can happen at virtually any intersection, not to mention that slowing down to get a better sight picture might get you drilled by the cars behind.

Sponsored

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport

"Defensive driving" is a term you don't hear much anymore but it's still very, very applicable. I think that a lot of drivers who think this way don't wait to react until they see an imminent danger, they probably begin slowing down in anticipation of a potential danger in front of them and slowing also increases their distance from the vehicle ahead of them. That will cut your reaction time down a bit as you're focused on the "threat" that may lie ahead. It's like professional drag racers who have reaction times half of the "norm" in the area of 0.2-0.4 seconds because they're focused on the lights. Granted, they do have a couple of yellows before the green so they could sort of anticipate to a degree but not like in the past because they don't know when the tree will activate. Of course we know that the guys with 0.1 or less reaction time without red-lighting was pure luck.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
and I learned a whole lot about safe spacing taking the online Drivers Ed after getting my first ticket in Ohio on the 2nd day I had my Mustang. Oof. :shock:
I've heard a number of states actually enforce a "tailgating" law, but most don't which explains why there are so many multi-vehicle crashes and rear-enders on the highways. Clearly in those 12-vehicle pile-ups pretty much everyone in that "line" was following too close or not paying attention.

OP
OP
Gnatsum21

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
Meanwhile back to the fun, did you find that on a dealer lot???? wow!
Yes, while on a business trip in Atlanta I started searching for GT500s etc. Then I found 2 2022 GT with manual transmissions at the same Ford dealer, both black, one with red interior. I called them up and told them not to sell the one I have now, I will be there as soon I am back in Florida!
And the mods already started, right away I jailbroke my Sync3 to get all the fun back with custom graphics, etc. Ripped off the dealer decals and ordered a new shift knob. Tints next week, wider tires and rims will be next month. As soon I got my first 1k - 3k miles the car is going back to Steeda for a Roush "upgrade". Oh, and H-Pipe of course. Not sure about the short throw shifter, but definitely the Steeda clutch spring replacement. Ordering that now. Then lowering the car at Steeda and adding all the fun stuff underneath, stop the hop, K member brace etc.. And soon we'll have a decent ride again. Thinkin of getting red hashmarks for the front fenders.. Oh, and the most important mods is the shopping net for the trunk..so shit doesn't fly around after shopping! :blush:

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Yes, while on a business trip in Atlanta I started searching for GT500s etc. Then I found 2 2022 GT with manual transmissions at the same Ford dealer, both black, one with red interior. I called them up and told them not to sell the one I have now, I will be there as soon I am back in Florida!
And the mods already started, right away I jailbroke my Sync3 to get all the fun back with custom graphics, etc. Ripped off the dealer decals and ordered a new shift knob. Tints next week, wider tires and rims will be next month. As soon I got my first 1k - 3k miles the car is going back to Steeda for a Roush "upgrade". Oh, and H-Pipe of course. Not sure about the short throw shifter, but definitely the Steeda clutch spring replacement. Ordering that now. Then lowering the car at Steeda and adding all the fun stuff underneath, stop the hop, K member brace etc.. And soon we'll have a decent ride again. Thinkin of getting red hashmarks for the front fenders.. Oh, and the most important mods is the shopping net for the trunk..so shit doesn't fly around after shopping! :blush:
It‘s a beautiful car, you were fortunate!

Quick question since I’m not all that far away: you can get Roush stuff done at Steeda, or did I read that wrong?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gnatsum21

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
It‘s a beautiful car, you were fortunate!

Quick question since I’m not all that far away: you can get Roush stuff done at Steeda, or did I read that wrong?
Yes, call them up and ask for Rodney Williamson, or any other Rep, all are great. I go the Pompano Beach FL location since I only live 15 mins away. You can have the Roush kit shipped there, but they want you to order from their website. Once it's there you can schedule an install date, usually takes 3 days. Yes, they are certified Roush installers, had my orange one done there last year.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Happy for you. Good luck with the new ride!

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)