Sponsored

Mach 1 Tremac lurching forward after recall update / Oil change / Failed Emissions test

LikeMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I had an oil change covered by service contract at a reputable dealer. All was good with the car, just needed an oil change, decided to get the recall update and get an emissions test as well.

Youd think id be straight forward but I guess not, and this dealer had very good ratings. My GPS did not show any joy riding, but I am left with the following issues:

1. The most annoying is that the car lurches forward in speed when I upshift and let out the clutch, and then slows down as I haven't yet applied continuous throttle. Makes the car rock up and then down every upshift

2. The transmission now rev matches on UP SHIFTS, this caught me by surprise because I could have swore it only did it on downshifts. It does not rev match on the upshift all the time

3. Very bad brake squeal when braking at low speed. No way did they remove the wheels, the locks are "undefeatable".

The car also failed emissions. This is my fault as I removed the carbon trap, I didn't believe this trap actually had enough impact to fail me in a state that has loose emission laws.

I brought this up to the person who handled the service and he's just clueless. He still made sure I was charged for that failed test though lol. I also heard the guy grind a gear, either 1st or reverse when he first got in, not sure how bad. I think these service guys are really killing the 1st gear, not the first I've seen Ford tech grind them, they dont FULLY engage the thing. Everything seems normal, but I do feel a "crunch" when going in 5th and I used to be able to get over speed bumps in 2nd no throttle, a bit harder to do now.

My question is, is there anything they could have done during this that is the cause of this. My suspicion is that the cars "learning" has been reset or some parameter in the BCM/ECU was changed thinking it would help with emissions and left uncorrected.

Initially it was really bad, I've gotten several miles on it and it's decently better but still doesn't feel 100%. Also cant tell if it's just me that's doing the learning here lol. It's like the car wants to either let me clutch out real slow or just shift fast and go full WOT on it.
Sponsored

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
Hello,

First off, sorry you are having these issues after what should have been a routine visit. It looks like the "update" was installed wrong. I had the recall performed at my house, the technician did a quick 15 minute flash, and the car drives great.

I would choose another dealer if you have one close by, for a second check of the system. The brake squeal is normal if the car sits for a period of time, or if the rotors have accumulated some moisture, but they should clear up with normal driving.

Rev-Matching should only be on down shifting, not upshifting. Its like the No lift Shift option has been applied permanently, or something to that effect.

As far as failing emissions due to the carbon trap being removed, that is not the issue. Most everyone has it removed, and because it's before the MAF in the tube, it has no reference of it being in place for measurements.

My Mach has passed NC Emissions testing with the trap removed, so I do not think that's the issue. If you have a code scanner, check and see if any trapped codes are stored, if so clear them and try again.

Good luck with getting this resolved, hope some of this long reply was helpful.

jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
Regarding the emissions part of your post, as Coastal Mach said, the removed carbon filter is unlikely to be your issue. My initial thought is that they did the recall update, which is an update to the computer. Not sure exactly how that system works, but from past experience I know with something like a tune where you’re updating the computer, it always resets the emissions monitors, and there is a cycle of driving you need to do before they reach readiness again to pass emissions. If the update affects those monitors, the techs should’ve known that and not done the test right away, but you mentioned they didn’t really seem completely knowledgeable. This is all assuming for your emissions test they’re just reading what the computer says, not actually measuring anything at the exhaust.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Guessing here. And curious if anyone has experience with the following.

I know people tune and rollback all the time, but what if a person attempts to load an older or different BCM/PCM version of software than previous? Would it take?

I need to schedule the most recent recall fix as well. The dealer I'd rely on has multiple web sites, supporting multiple physical locations.

Interesting, while one web site did did not list the "23C35" recall, for the brake warning light, they did reference a "22S37" recall, specific to manual transmissions and PCMs.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCMN-22V382-0242.pdf

So my question is, if I take software in support of a 19/20 MY with a manual transmission and PCM, then apply that to a 22MY with a manual, would it take? If a tech selected the wrong software update, would the update even occur?

Edit: I'd think any updates at all would look at build/VIN information pulled from the car and tell the tech, "No. This patch, version does not apply."

Last edited:

iceman145

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Byron
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 / Chassis# 1011 / Oxford White
Took mine in to the local Ford dealership about 2 weeks ago for oil change and BCM update. Apparently, it threw a transmission code and they had to re-do the update. All in all, it took about 2 hours. Car drives normally, but they told me that this has happened to a few other cars, all Mach's and Shelby's. Not really buying that, but it seems to drive fine now.

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Regarding the emissions part of your post, as Coastal Mach said, the removed carbon filter is unlikely to be your issue. My initial thought is that they did the recall update, which is an update to the computer. Not sure exactly how that system works, but from past experience I know with something like a tune where you’re updating the computer, it always resets the emissions monitors, and there is a cycle of driving you need to do before they reach readiness again to pass emissions. If the update affects those monitors, the techs should’ve known that and not done the test right away, but you mentioned they didn’t really seem completely knowledgeable. This is all assuming for your emissions test they’re just reading what the computer says, not actually measuring anything at the exhaust.
I agree with this. A reset will mean you need to drive some distance to get the car ready to test. The button pusher OP was talking to is just that.

OP, this might also explain the funky driving characteristics. Drive it a few more days, then find a better shop. Also, NYC is probably one of the most restrictive states when it comes to emissions...so there is potential it's your carbon trap. Unless you specifically tuned it out of the car, it wouldn't hurt to throw it back in for the test.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Suck OP, I would say put more miles on it first as mentioned. That settles it, I will avoid that useless recall as long as I can.

and I agree with the emission fail. If you have one of those OB2 scanners you can check when your car is ready for emission test after the drive cycle (which includes driving long period 50-60mph) I believe to set it.

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car
This is 100% correct. Even in CA which has some of the strictest SMOG testing standards, the tester will not preform the test if the battery has been disconnected or the computer reflashed before the monitors reset. (This is intentional to prevent people with emissions issues and check engine lights from simply disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it right before testing.)

There is actually a published Ford procedure for resetting the monitors to ready them for emissions testing, and any competent tester should know this. (The readiness procedure involves driving the car at varying speeds for a certain amount of time/distance. Or, it will do it automatically after a few normal key cycles, and warm up/cool down.)

You either should receive a free retest or have not been charged for the original test because of recent reflash.)

http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/...cle/View/41/7/ford-motor-obd-ii-driving-cycle

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
What recall is this? I'm only aware of the low brake fluid warning recall...

As for the rest, it's sound like that dealer screwed up the update and emission tested the car to soon.

OP
OP

LikeMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I agree with this. A reset will mean you need to drive some distance to get the car ready to test. The button pusher OP was talking to is just that.

OP, this might also explain the funky driving characteristics. Drive it a few more days, then find a better shop. Also, NYC is probably one of the most restrictive states when it comes to emissions...so there is potential it's your carbon trap. Unless you specifically tuned it out of the car, it wouldn't hurt to throw it back in for the test.
Thanks, I'm actually out in Houston with it. Highly rated place, they also had a new GT500 they were servicing. Was surprised to fail emissions when I see people rolling coal and all that every now and then in Texas lol. A lot of pickups that clearly sound like they have no catalytic or muffler. I haven't name them because I haven't given them a second attempt to look at it yet. I am seeing that I may have what's called "rev hang". Its like when I let out, the RPMs are too high, I get boosted forward.

My question is like what @Skye alluded to. How easy is it to apply the wrong updates. Or better yet from reading, rev hanging is how OEMs are helping pass emissions. Is this an adjustable parameter? How do I reset it to default?

This video implies that you can have an upgrade / repair but old "learning" will cause issues and you need to reset a a module

also I have about 100 miles since repair, probably 1/3 are highway miles.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
sounds like you need to fire your dealer.

it might help to try a Lincoln dealer? Or see if you can find one the Ford Performance certified locations. Somewhere on Ford.com is a way to pull up which dealers have such a tech on payroll.

I would check+reset all codes, and KAM reset. And then take it to be flashed properly by a non-mouth-breather.

my '23 M1 drove exactly the same before and after. And turn off revmatch.

OP
OP

LikeMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
sounds like you need to fire your dealer.

it might help to try a Lincoln dealer? Or see if you can find one the Ford Performance certified locations. Somewhere on Ford.com is a way to pull up which dealers have such a tech on payroll.

I would check+reset all codes, and KAM reset. And then take it to be flashed properly by a non-mouth-breather.

my '23 M1 drove exactly the same before and after. And turn off revmatch.
Yeah will see if I can get more information out of them next week. Something definitely happened. Dropped it off in the AM on time under a scheduled appointment and it took over 24hrs. Other here said 15min - 2 Hours.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Thanks, I'm actually out in Houston with it. Highly rated place, they also had a new GT500 they were servicing. Was surprised to fail emissions when I see people rolling coal and all that every now and then in Texas lol. A lot of pickups that clearly sound like they have no catalytic or muffler. I haven't name them because I haven't given them a second attempt to look at it yet. I am seeing that I may have what's called "rev hang". Its like when I let out, the RPMs are too high, I get boosted forward.

My question is like what @Skye alluded to. How easy is it to apply the wrong updates. Or better yet from reading, rev hanging is how OEMs are helping pass emissions. Is this an adjustable parameter? How do I reset it to default?

This video implies that you can have an upgrade / repair but old "learning" will cause issues and you need to reset a a module

also I have about 100 miles since repair, probably 1/3 are highway miles.
Ahh, your bio says NYC. I am in Houston. Where about in town are you? If you are on the west side (Katy), I have a shop you can try that I trust with for basic things like inspections. Just let me know. I actually have two of them, one near Tomball as well. That shop is much better at alignments and the owner races, and is willing to do just about any modification you are interested in.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Also, diesels don't have to pass emissions in Texas. Hence rolling coals. Probably the single best longevity mod a guy can do to his diesel IMO.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I am Curious, why did you have to do emissions testing on your vehicle? Its a brand new car unless you are trying to sell it I don't see the need to test it. Enlighten me.
Sponsored