Precision-Turbonetics NX2 turbo EcoBoost build thread

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
So your recommendation is to do some cheaper upgrades like, intercooler, pipes, down pipe, CAI, and get a tune? Mind you I'm not racing, I just want to wake it up and have fun with the car. This is my DD so I don't want to hurt it. Everyone has delusions of grandeur but honestly I just want to have fun but keep it reliable.
You have to add an intercooler no matter what you're doing, so CVF Street. The hot/cold pipes aren't a big deal for power, but they do look nice. The downpipe is also not necessary, but sounds good and gives a quicker turbo spool. There's no real reason for a CAI, because it has one stock. Change to a free-flowing air filter if you want.

The engine tuning is the big deal. All that stuff above just supports the tune. I can see a good argument for using the Ford Performance tune (keeps warranty), but a custom tune is really the best plan. With an intercooler alone, you can see 300-325 HP at the wheels. The more you add, the more you can make. The stock turbo is pretty much done at about 350 HP on e30, but that is a completely different driving car than what you have now.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
So your recommendation is to do some cheaper upgrades like, intercooler, pipes, down pipe, CAI, and get a tune? Mind you I'm not racing, I just want to wake it up and have fun with the car. This is my DD so I don't want to hurt it. Everyone has delusions of grandeur but honestly I just want to have fun but keep it reliable.
Best bang for the buck on my Ecoboost was cat back for the sound, intercooler and a tune for the power. After that everything else was minimal to no gains. Made for a fun back roads car that never gave me trouble. NX2 was questionable vs the price, piping and blowoff valve was all useless unless you really want the wooshies. Downpipe was nothing but hassles for no real gains.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Mind you I'm not racing, I just want to wake it up and have fun with the car.
then tune, intercooler, and fix the chassis. Everything else (CAI in particular) and downpipe are worth little.

I had a Wagner Race intercooler. Loved it. The hot/cold pipes are a hassle to install and don't really bring anything.

I have a Borla S for a GT and a CVF Y-pipe that is in the queue to install. Just to have more noise.

Last edited:

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
Is that Ryan Martin from Street Outlaws?

Yeah this kind of stuff scares me some. Others have said it works great, others have had to stud the block and replace the head gasket...
I'll check out the link you sent over. Thanks
No, it is not the same Ryan Martin , no relation at all.

BD

Knuckle66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Mustang, 00 Mercury Cougar, 98 F250
Sounds like I might be able to budget this without spending 4k. Thanks guys! About how much is a custom tune and recommendations on who to use is I just do what you all suggest with an intercooler, down pipe. Since the rest seems to be window dressing.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like I might be able to budget this without spending 4k. Thanks guys! About how much is a custom tune and recommendations on who to use is I just do what you all suggest with an intercooler, down pipe. Since the rest seems to be window dressing.
What are your goals?

Knuckle66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What are your goals?
They very from one day to the next. Basically I want to wake the car up, make more power without hurting the car. I cannot afford to put a new engine in it, and I really, and I do mean really do not want to do a head gasket and studs, and I defiantly do not want to have to pay to have it done.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
They very from one day to the next. Basically I want to wake the car up, make more power without hurting the car. I cannot afford to put a new engine in it, and I really, and I do mean really do not want to do a head gasket and studs, and I defiantly do not want to have to pay to have it done.
Then leave it stock and give it an intercooler and the FP tune. It really does wake the car up. If you're not in the position to replace what you break, then I wouldn't get overly frisky on the engine side.

These engines are powerful for their size, but they're also fragile when pushed.

Knuckle66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So how does the warranties work if I have it tuned instead of buying the FP tune? My cousin has a guy who can tune it. But will Ford know it's been touched or can I upload the default config if it needs to go in for service?

77Highboy77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
So how does the warranties work if I have it tuned instead of buying the FP tune? My cousin has a guy who can tune it. But will Ford know it's been touched or can I upload the default config if it needs to go in for service?
Among other things that Ford uses to monitor if a car has been tuned, one of the main things they check is the number of start cycles since the last ECU flash. Unless you have extremely low miles and run through a number of ignition cycles before going in, they'll know right away. Also, "my cousin has a guy who can tune it," sounds like a quick way to blow an engine unless they're a professional tuner.

Sponsored

Knuckle66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Among other things that Ford uses to monitor if a car has been tuned, one of the main things they check is the number of start cycles since the last ECU flash. Unless you have extremely low miles and run through a number of ignition cycles before going in, they'll know right away. Also, "my cousin has a guy who can tune it," sounds like a quick way to blow an engine unless they're a professional tuner.
Thanks for the info. On the tuning front this guy is a professional tuner, has a dyno and all of that. I just didn't know about him until recently. My cousin went from carb/pro-charger to the Holley EFI system with his pro charger. And this guy has him tuned up. But not so much it kills his build. He wanted more out of his 5.0 but being it's an 80s 5.0 and going off of his build sheet the guy gave him the tune for the car, not the tune he wanted. My cousin is now building an entirely new engine to handle more boost, and power to get where he wants to go. So I'd say the tuner is reliable. I just don't know if I should go that route or get the FP tune from Ford.

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Thanks for the info. On the tuning front this guy is a professional tuner, has a dyno and all of that. I just didn't know about him until recently. My cousin went from carb/pro-charger to the Holley EFI system with his pro charger. And this guy has him tuned up. But not so much it kills his build. He wanted more out of his 5.0 but being it's an 80s 5.0 and going off of his build sheet the guy gave him the tune for the car, not the tune he wanted. My cousin is now building an entirely new engine to handle more boost, and power to get where he wants to go. So I'd say the tuner is reliable. I just don't know if I should go that route or get the FP tune from Ford.
If you're this worried (like I was after reading all the ecoboom horror stories), get the FRPP tune. It makes your 5 yr powertrain become 3 yrs but at least you still have a warranty. Combine it with an MBRP race exhaust, CVF street intercooler, Roush CAI, and Turbosmart BOV and you'll have lots of fun. The coyote engine is way more stout so I voided mine after 1500 miles of ownership lol.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Just be aware that with the FP tune you will not have the ability to return to the stock tune except by paying a dealer to reflash back to "as built" PCM calibration for a charge on an ecoboost mustang only.

2018-2023 MUSTANG ECOBOOST PERF CALIBRATION| Part Details for M-9603-M4CA | Ford Performance Parts
Note: Due to limitations in the PCM, if stock calibration re-installation is required, you must go to a Ford dealer for 'as-built' calibration installation. Any questions, please contact the Ford Performance Tech-line.

BD

Knuckle66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like I'll be visiting the tuner, or an OTS from Cobb.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like I'll be visiting the tuner, or an OTS from Cobb.
I do like how the FP tune performs in my eco but if I had realized I could not go back to stock tune at will like the 15-17 eco FP tune allows I would not have bought it, I did not realize it till after tune was installed. I have a buddy with a 17 and liked how his runs with the FP tune but he can go back to stock tune, its only 18+ that cannot.

BD
Sponsored