Jstang23

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
I reviewed the RaceChrono data and it showed that I overheated at around 31 minutes.
What rear end do you have? 3.55, 3.73? I have the 3.15 rear end in the aluminum housing and I have never experienced any overheating form the rear diff. Granted I am almost positive I am not pushing as hard as you on track. But wondering if the aluminum really does a better job at cooling that its steel counterpart.
Sponsored

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
I think you're right.
Unless some 95F ambient track day triggers it before the 30min mark.

And there is something to be said about not overheating the diff oil anyway. Changing every 6 events probably mitigates that.

BTW I park over a battery shop fan next to the diff in between sessions. Works great.
i'm thinking about bringing one of those small pesticide pump sprayers filled with water to mist things while the pits next month during a track event.

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
What rear end do you have? 3.55, 3.73? I have the 3.15 rear end in the aluminum housing and I have never experienced any overheating form the rear diff. Granted I am almost positive I am not pushing as hard as you on track. But wondering if the aluminum really does a better job at cooling that its steel counterpart.
The 3.55 in my base model makes WAY less heat than the 3.73 Torsen. Both overheat eventually

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
3.55 Torsen with A10. Loads of fun on track.

The problem is, is that there is 1.6 quarts of gear oil in a small confined space. Need a 20+kBTU cooler exposed to air.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
I reviewed the RaceChrono data and it showed that I overheated at around 31 minutes.
I’m using a rudimentary data acquisition system (Track Addict/OBD2/GoPro). Do any of you know if ECT is available via OBD2 stream?

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I’m using a rudimentary data acquisition system (Track Addict/OBD2/GoPro). Do any of you know if ECT is available via OBD2 stream?
There is no physical ECT sensor in our cars from what I understand. Having said that, I have ECT data displayed on obd2 app dashboard (guess it's calculated though).

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no physical ECT sensor in our cars from what I understand. Having said that, I have ECT data displayed on obd2 app dashboard (guess it's calculated though).
Excellent. Or at least better than nothing. It can be directional if nothing else.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I realized that too using Race Capture via OBDII. So for learning purposes, what is the significance of knowing ECT when you have CHT available which is an actual sensor?

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I realized that too using Race Capture via OBDII. So for learning purposes, what is the significance of knowing ECT when you have CHT available which is an actual sensor?
Exactly, why not just use cht?

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You may be right there. I know oil temp is calculated. And ECT is (at a minimum) heavily managed for display purposes. Is CHT the only real sensor in the engine temp group with all the others derived?

Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Okay so based on the responses I’m assuming people put water temp gauges in their cars because they don’t have cylinder block temp sensors?

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
You may be right there. I know oil temp is calculated. And ECT is (at a minimum) heavily managed for display purposes. Is CHT the only real sensor in the engine temp group with all the others derived?
Oil pressure

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oil pressure
Right. Diff and transmission temp, too. Any other temp sensors?

If EOT and ECT are derived from CHT, it’s the only one we can affect directly. Is that confirmed?

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
looks like some 5.0's have actual oil pressure sensors, but only a CHT sensor. While the ecoboost has a CHT and ECT sensor. forscan shows a cht and ect value for my ecoboost and they read a few degrees different

5.0.JPG

23.JPG

51.JPG

231.JPG
Sponsored