Sponsored

street/track brake pad

thornclaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
for a mixed use brake pad there seems to be no good option. one possible solution would be to mix pads. for example, have the inner pad on one caliper be the gloc gs1 that is a street pad, and have the outer pad on the caliper be a gloc r8. potentially you would have the best of both worlds.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Hahah, no, thats the worst of both worlds. Your street pad would do street oad things at the tracl and the track pad would do track pad things on the street.

just swap them, it takes a couple minutes but you should be in there bleeding fresh fluid to the calipers before your track days anyway.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
for a mixed use brake pad there seems to be no good option. one possible solution would be to mix pads. for example, have the inner pad on one caliper be the gloc gs1 that is a street pad, and have the outer pad on the caliper be a gloc r8. potentially you would have the best of both worlds.
Or just run R10 fronts and R8 rears all the time and have very good street manners and still pull over 1.4g's in braking with a mild street tire.

It would be extremely bad to have different COF pads on the same rotor, not to mention the same end of the car. You would be attempting to slow down one side of the rotor at a different rate than the other connected side. Also the temperature delta one side to the other would be so great you would be asking A LOT from the materials of the rotor.

Pretty sure your ABS module would just burst into flames trying to figure out what is happening 😆

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Or just run R10 fronts and R8 rears all the time and have very good street manners and still pull over 1.4g's in braking with a mild street tire.
That combo is very tire depended though you need to run not top of the list tires. Nankang AR-1's overload the R10's and they overheat at least for me. I switched to R12 fronts with R8 rears and now the braking is insane but so is the brake dust. You ether drive a street pad or a track pad that's the reality and ones you go to 1.6g's of braking there is no going back.

OP
OP

thornclaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
the r8 has a minimum temp of 75degrees. in the midwest freezing temperatures that wouldnt work well. the combo of gs1 and r 10 would give a reasonable mu from zero to 1500 degrees. no single pad on earth could cover that range. the friction curve of that combo would be an exaggerated bell curve, but wouldnt be an off/on phenomenon. yes, the rotor would heat unevenly but im not sure how big of a problem that would be. the rotor would also wear unevenly. the abs shouldnt be affected. i feel there should be some real world testing of this concept prior to it being dismissed. the idea would be one set up that could handle a wide range of uses- for people that track only occasionally. also, you could put the r10 on the inside position to minimize dust.

Sponsored

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
That combo is very tire depended though you need to run not top of the list tires. Nankang AR-1's overload the R10's and they overheat at least for me. I switched to R12 fronts with R8 rears and now the braking is insane but so is the brake dust. You ether drive a street pad or a track pad that's the reality and ones you go to 1.6g's of braking there is no going back.
This is close to what I'm running. R12 front / R10 rear. Brake dust and noise on slow stops is insane. I'm definitely going to to be getting a street pad for non-track use to keep my sanity.

In terms of this thread, it sounds like a terrible idea to mix pad material on the same rotor...if that's what I'm reading? That sounds crazy for the reasons already stated.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Never heard of it being done on the same rotor, but someone would need to test the performance aspect of it. If you're worried about uneven wear, I think that the least of the worries when you're taking a car to the track. A rotor then becomes a true wear item anyway.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
The G Loc pads (and carbotech) are not the best for dual usage because they are extremely dusty and when u brake it seems you're killing a cow.

There are great options how there.
Counterspace garage (CSG) is what i use in my racecar.
But when i use the car in the street they are phenomenal and no noise.
They are on expensive side but they last A LOT.
And hella brake power .

Alternative are the DCT 60 or 70 by hawk. OR dsuno by ferodo

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
the r8 has a minimum temp of 75degrees. in the midwest freezing temperatures that wouldnt work well. the combo of gs1 and r 10 would give a reasonable mu from zero to 1500 degrees. no single pad on earth could cover that range. the friction curve of that combo would be an exaggerated bell curve, but wouldnt be an off/on phenomenon. yes, the rotor would heat unevenly but im not sure how big of a problem that would be. the rotor would also wear unevenly. the abs shouldnt be affected. i feel there should be some real world testing of this concept prior to it being dismissed. the idea would be one set up that could handle a wide range of uses- for people that track only occasionally. also, you could put the r10 on the inside position to minimize dust.
Well tons of us have real world experience with GS1 pads on the track (they glaze quickly and then don't slow you down nearly enough), and tons of us also have experience running track pads on the street (first stop can suck at low temps and they dust like mad, and often squeal badly).

Individually the pads are not able to handle anything outside the range of uses they normally handle. You have not blended the compounds. The system can't be averaged out and treated as a whole.

The pads are acting individually, so you get the problems of both pads and a middling amount of braking force which is worse than using the correct pad for the correct use. Braking force would be an average of the two pads, but neither the street or track pads will operated well when used outside their range of temperatures, so the result will be inferior.

There's no silver bullet for this. Our cars are very very heavy and when you need a track pad, you need a track pad.

OP
OP

thornclaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
i respect and appreciate the input from the above members. certainly with brakes, caution is of paramount importance. however, i think my point is best illustrated with 2 simple questions:
1)would a gs1/r10 combo have better braking than an an r10 only setup on the street?
2)would a gs1/r10 combo have better braking than a gs1 only setup on track?

i think the answer to both would probably be ‘yes’

Sponsored

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
i respect and appreciate the input from the above members. certainly with brakes, caution is of paramount importance. however, i think my point is best illustrated with 2 simple questions:
1)would a gs1/r10 combo have better braking than an an r10 only setup on the street?

The answer would be no, this is not how any of this works.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1

Please don't take this personally, but both options are idiotic. It's all backwards - gs1 is not designed for track and r10 is not recommended for street. If you don't want to swap pads (which is not a big deal if you swap wheels anyways and already have car in the air), then cash out for something like pagid rsl29.

OP
OP

thornclaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
ok
i will yield here
however, my quest for the lazy man’s solution to this problem continues.
stay tuned

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Please don't take this personally, but both options are idiotic. It's all backwards - gs1 is not designed for track and r10 is not recommended for street. If you don't want to swap pads (which is not a big deal if you swap wheels anyways and already have car in the air), then cash out for something like pagid rsl29.
Besides the dust issues in track season I don't see a big reason for changing for something like r10/r8 or r12/r10 to street pads. Considering outside temps are normal spring/summer temps this types of pads should work reasonably well on the street providing you are careful when braking.