scregan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2023 Atlas Blue convertible
Looking at a couple of Mustangs.
1. 2021 Roush RS3 convertible (6,500 miles)
2. 2023 Mustang GT Premium loaded convertible.
The Roush would be about 10K more than the GT Premium.

I know it's up to me, but I would like peoples thoughts on which one to get.
Sponsored

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I would buy the new car as well. All used Mustangs most likely got beat up imo.

jon.smith76063

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX Hatch, 1994 Cobra, 2020 Roush Stage 3
Get the Roush!!!

I bought my 2020 Roush Stage 3 with 1700 miles on it. I knew the previous owner so I felt confident it hadn't been beaten on. It is a very fun car on the street. I have made some suspension upgrades to make it more predictable. I am going to dive into the supercharger cooling this summer to keep the IAT2's at bay. I often wish I had a vert because in texas we get more good days than bad so a drop-top would be a nice cruiser.

You would undoubtedly be faster with the 23 and a Whipple but the wow factor isn't there if you just want a cruiser. I get compliments all the time on mine. The 21 will carry a 5-year 60 K miles warranty so you can feel safe in that aspect. You will get less if you throw a supercharger on the new car.

I was in your shoes a few years back deciding between the Roush and a Mach 1. I go back and forth but the performance of the Stage 3 for the price could not be beaten. I know all about the options on these cars and what to look for. Hit me up if you have any questions.

Last edited:

PonyLance

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium Convertible
I'd go for the new GT vert probably 'cause I'm a little bias as I have one. Also you would be the original owner and a good warranty to boot.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Get the new one and use the $10k saved to put a Roush or Whipple on the new one.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The stage 3 is so much more than a GT with a SC bolted on.
Yes they are, I’m aware of that. However, I’d be leery of buying a used boosted car in general, mostly because you don’t know if the prior owner messed with any of the original Roush setup and if so, if it was done properly (but that’s just me and my line of thinking). So I lean toward new and if OP just wants a blower, it’s very doable with the $10k saved. Now, if you want the full RS3 package and OP is able to verify the original Roush tune and mechanicals are unmolested (or if modified was done by a reputable shop and is in good order), then it makes the used RS3 more intriguing for sure because you can’t replicate that for $10k.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Buy the 2023 model and add the Roush SC, so that you know the true history on the car. You would also have a full warranty if the SC was installed at an authorized Roush Ford dealership.
A stage 3 Roush car has a 5yr/60k mile powertrain warranty like a factory Mustang. Having a dealership add a Roush blower to a Mustang GT converts the factory Ford powertrain warranty from 5yr/60k miles to a Roush 3yr/36k powertrain warranty.

The 2021 could potentially have a longer warranty than a new car with the added Roush supercharger depending on the cars original in service date.

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 6 speed manual
I’d never buy a new mustang, not worth the money. Roush or any other 2019-2022 GT, they’re the same as 2023’s. Just try to spend the least money and you’ll be happy for it, it’s just a mustang.

Sponsored

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
I'd go with the new gt, and drive it, and if after awhile you think you need more, drop it of at a ford dealer that is a roush installer and go nuts.
Used cars, are you buying someone else's headache. They bailed before the problems start.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Paying cash or financing? Interest rates on a used vehicle are not as good as a new vehicle (well, at least it used to be that way before the market crazies).

That would be a consideration if needing to finance.

---

Used Car = how much left on the existing warranty and what is an Extended Warranty going to cost (one that covers EVERY IMPORTANT part of the vehicle with todays electronics)

New Car = 3/36 Bumper to Bumper, 5/60 Powertrain and 8/80 emissions. And these warranties are pretty comprehensive IF one reads their owners manuals.

---

One other thing to mention with "Ford", "Ford Performance" or Ford Sponsored Vendor Supercharger installs (like Roush, Saleen, etc) - READ the Vendor's Warranty provisions. On many of these installs, the Warranty starts as of the vehicle's in-service date and runs concurrently with the 3/36. Many do NOT start as of the date the Supercharger was installed. So with a "used" Roush S/C, I'd guess that warranty is done or close to it. I also suggest reading any Extended Warranty provisions to make sure that type of plan also covers ANY forced induction add-ons....

It's your money, your choice - we can't sway you into A vs B. We can give you opinions and/or information to help guide but the ultimate decision is yours.

If you're swayed more towards the Roush due to what it's packaged with, inquire about and actually READ a comprehensive Extended Warranty plan for a car like that one. Your focus for any Extended Warranty should be what is NOT covered, because that is usually the whammy down the road if needing to use it. Make sure all major electrical components, lighting, module systems, and/or rotating assembly is totally covered. These cars have lots of internal parts to the engines now as well as the electronics in them which is the most costly part of any modern vehicle repair.

bigred90gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Get the new one and use the $10k saved to put a Roush or Whipple on the new one.
That makes sense IF he is paying cash for the car. If financing, that would just be $10k saved on the money owed, then you would have to come up with the cash to make the mods if you wanted to go that route.

If it were up to me, I'd probably opt for the Roush. It would most likely take more than $10k to get the GT into a comparable state as the Roush, and I don't tend to worry too much about used cars with 6500 miles on them. All that tells me is a 2 year old car with only 6500 miles wasn't driven very much. With the remaining powertrain warranty, I wouldn't personally be worried.

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
i regret not doing the older used Roush vs my new 21 GT. Everyone says "I'll just add a supercharger later"...but few actually do as it's quite expensive and not rolled into the vehicle loan. And like mentioned, the warranty is a Ford Performance warranty, not Ford...and it goes by the in-service date of the car for 3/36. Another consideration is that adding a supercharger to a GT does not increase it's value (unless you find a buyer). A Roush on the other hand has that increased value set to that VIN. Both cars will be fun for sure, good luck!

jon.smith76063

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX Hatch, 1994 Cobra, 2020 Roush Stage 3
It's been 7 days OP. What did you decide? Inquiring minds want to know.
Sponsored