Sponsored

Have to Replace Hood Decal - Options/Opinions?

jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
Understood. I get all the properties of the PPF and the reason that most get it. This is my first time with PPF on any vehicle, and I am also listening to the recommendation of the shop at the same time as doing my own research. They are good with trimming around the decal, though say they prefer and have done many with removal and reapplication of any decals. Just their preferred method, I suppose.

I made this post for exactly this point, to see what most have done, what works, what hasn't, and go from there.

I don't plan on doing the roof, but the one-foot-up idea ain't bad!
I would rethink not doing the roof, maybe at least a portion like that first foot. On my previous mustang I got several chips along the leading edge of the roof. In fact, my previous car is what led me to just do a full wrap instead of just front ppf. While the front takes the majority, my previous car taught me that many unexpected places end up with chips and while ppf may not protect against everything, I just wanted to do the best I can to not have my Mach 1 end up the same way. I have FJG so I don’t have direct experience that can help, but personally I would go with trimming around the decal. On a brand new car I wouldn’t want to remove it and pay extra for a new decal, something you’re sort of already paying extra for with the car.
Sponsored

OP
OP
swoop1156

swoop1156

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach HP, 22 Raptor 37PP, 22 Cayenne Turbo SE
I would rethink not doing the roof, maybe at least a portion like that first foot. On my previous mustang I got several chips along the leading edge of the roof. In fact, my previous car is what led me to just do a full wrap instead of just front ppf. While the front takes the majority, my previous car taught me that many unexpected places end up with chips and while ppf may not protect against everything, I just wanted to do the best I can to not have my Mach 1 end up the same way. I have FJG so I don’t have direct experience that can help, but personally I would go with trimming around the decal. On a brand new car I wouldn’t want to remove it and pay extra for a new decal, something you’re sort of already paying extra for with the car.
Agreed on all, actually! I asked the shop about a full PPF and they quoted me something nuts like $8k. Their "track pack" is the full front, entire hood, mirrors, rockers, and rear quarters. They're basically not doing the side doors, roof, rear bumper, or decklid. I think that should be good enough for a non-daily driven vehicle that won't even see rain. I would love a full PPF wrap, though I just don't see the justification in my use-case. Watch me want it later!

Seeing more and more elect to trim around the decal. I appreciate everyone's view on this!

Fishtales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2001 Harley, 1964 Volkswagen Beetle, 2016 Toyota Avalon
I did exactly this. Just 8" on the roof though. That and full window tint using the top end expel was $3.2K. The rear badge was cut around, the sides were removed and then re-installed. On th hood, I did the painted sides up to the decal. Came out great - very happy.

I was told that this is a must today especially with Ford and Mazda vehicles. The enviro paint is soft and prone to excessive chipping.

MX915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500, 2022 Mustang GT Premium
Hi all. Long time lurker but first time poster. Just wanted to share my experience.

My Mach is fully covered in Suntek Ultra PPF. I chose to remove the hood decal and reinstall an OEM decal on top of the hood PPF. The side decals we went directly over.

A few things to note. The black/red and black/white decals have a rough surface where the matte is in the middle of the decal. Several installers I spoke with were not comfortable with going over that texture and having a good long term result.

With respect to cutting at the decal edge, your installer should be doing their best to eliminate exposed edges of PPF. You'll find that these edges tend to collect dirt and can be difficult to clean because of residual adhesive from the trimming process. Keep in mind that if you cut around the decal you will have a continuous exposed edge that may or may not be a dirt / dust magnet down the road. For me, having a continuous hood piece seemed like the "right" way to do it and I tend to be a little OCD when it comes to the car being clean. My Mach is white so having a big exposed edge on the hood would have driven me crazy when cleaning.

Good luck with the install! Either way, it should be a good improvement in terms of enjoying the car without worring about chips and swirls.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I have full PPF, 3M Xpel, w/o ceramic coating. I have not PPF'd the decals or stripes.

If the installer is a franchisee of 3M's Xpel program, they gain access to 3M's database. All PPF for my car was cut using a plotter; they matched perfectly, up to the edge of all decals. Even now, I still have to pause and study the surface to tell where the edge of the PPF is.

I left the decals as-is; many have ceramic coated theirs.

For FTG cars, their hood decals have a different texture; PPF often covers these cars without issue. For all other colors, I've witnessed mixed success. Some cover and hold well, others, not.

For best fit, if covering decals, my detailer suggested a ghost PPF. The initial series of PPF covers everything except the decal. The ghost PPF covers only the decal. This would help prevent unwanted rises and lifts in the materials.

I feel the best bang for the buck is PPF the paint as much as you can afford, using a little more to ceramic coat the decals.

IMO, while not as durable as PPF, the decals and stripes are PPF-like; they are a sacrificial layer, helping protecting the paint underneath.

Sponsored

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
I'd PPF up to and around the decal. You can put a separate piece or type (matte) of PPF on top of the decal. Or just leave the decal as your "PPF". Doing so will leave you a nice pattern around the existing decal so if you ever do have to replace it, you'll know exactly where it is supposed to lay. Also, you can replace pieces/sections of PPF or decal for maintenance and repair purposes later without having to remove one large piece which is much more expensive. You're going to spend money no matter how you do it. Might as well have options down the road.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
They PPF'd around the stripe on mine. It looks fine, but jeeze that matte stripe is pretty annoying to clean. There is clear matte wrap that could go over it to protect that though if one were so inclined.

K3993

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K3993 traded. 2022 MACH 1
As others have said ....would not remove. Full front and other places around car PPF, full car Ceramic. PPF was taken right to the edge of hood decal. Looks great, as to the decal, the only real way to deal with the it in my humble opinion, is to have it Ceramic coated, once done, no worries with cleaning, just cleans right off. That decal will be an absolute pain otherwise, it was a pain the moment we picked up the car and ran our fingers across it and left marks. Knew then it was a bad design and had to coated.

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As others have said ....would not remove. Full front and other places around car PPF, full car Ceramic. PPF was taken right to the edge of hood decal. Looks great, as to the decal, the only real way to deal with the it in my humble opinion, is to have it Ceramic coated, once done, no worries with cleaning, just cleans right off. That decal will be an absolute pain otherwise, it was a pain the moment we picked up the car and ran our fingers across it and left marks. Knew then it was a bad design and had to coated.
The OEM stripes are too soft and scratch easily. And if you look at the price of replacement stripes, you'll probably want to protect them more than the paint itself, lol.

I recommend you PPF over the stripe, which is how it was done on my car. Make sure you go with a good quality PPF that self-heals, like XPel.

Sponsored
OP
OP
swoop1156

swoop1156

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's a thread (though not the one I was thinking about with the pictures of covering the stripe) that says you shouldn't cover the stripe with PPF due to the rough texture. I'm going to be talking to the shop tomorrow that routinely works on exotics and much more expensive vehicles than a Mustang and they really seem to know their stuff. I already ordered a replacement stripe and likely will just have them peel it off, PFF, and then apply on top, and then ceramic over the entire car (+ wheels/calipers).

MACHtobers Very Own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang MACH 1
I have a fighter jet grey and did

xpel:
Front bumper
Fenders
Hood
Headlights
Almost to top of A Pillars
Roof
Along the sides to rocker panel

xpel satin:
Over the decal

ceramic coating over whole car/rims and calipers

ceramic window tint

Decal looks great and I can see a little bit of a line but nothing serious. They did a solid job. If I knew what I knew now about the protection and how easy it is to clean I would have done whole car. Might go back at my yearly check up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
swoop1156

swoop1156

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Again, I'll state that the FJG hood stripe is different than the other color Mach 1's and you FJG guys have had much more success covering your decal. At this point, I think the car goes tomorrow for the correction, PPF, and ceramic - and the replacement decal should be to them on Wednesday. I am just gonna have them pull it off and put it back on top of the PPF. That's their recommendation, so I'll stick with it and report back on how it goes/went.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
On non-FJG colours you can cover the glossy part of the hood stripe and side stripes and leave out only the matte part which can be ceramic coated. After a year and 5000 miles it's still without a flaw on mine.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
Again, I'll state that the FJG hood stripe is different than the other color Mach 1's and you FJG guys have had much more success covering your decal. At this point, I think the car goes tomorrow for the correction, PPF, and ceramic - and the replacement decal should be to them on Wednesday. I am just gonna have them pull it off and put it back on top of the PPF. That's their recommendation, so I'll stick with it and report back on how it goes/went.
Put a brand new one back on or reuse the original? I would be shocked if any PPF guy would try to reuse it.
Sponsored