Sponsored

Have to Replace Hood Decal - Options/Opinions?

OP
OP
swoop1156

swoop1156

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach HP, 22 Raptor 37PP, 22 Cayenne Turbo SE
Put a brand new one back on or reuse the original? I would be shocked if any PPF guy would try to reuse it.
I guess I did smash my words together in there. No, I already have the replacement stripe on the way. Take off the old and replace with the new.
Sponsored

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
Like others, I had my PPF go right to the edge of the hood sticker. The whole car was then ceramic coated including the sticker, no paint protection but easy cleaning. I also did 1 foot up the roof line in PPF, with black you need all the help you can get.
I was hesitant about getting a black car again but they M1 looks so good in black with the red accents (even ordered red calipers). That's why I'm planning to PPF the whole car. Glad I found this thread.

I would rethink not doing the roof, maybe at least a portion like that first foot. On my previous mustang I got several chips along the leading edge of the roof. In fact, my previous car is what led me to just do a full wrap instead of just front ppf. While the front takes the majority, my previous car taught me that many unexpected places end up with chips and while ppf may not protect against everything, I just wanted to do the best I can to not have my Mach 1 end up the same way. I have FJG so I don’t have direct experience that can help, but personally I would go with trimming around the decal. On a brand new car I wouldn’t want to remove it and pay extra for a new decal, something you’re sort of already paying extra for with the car.
Yep, that's what I found with my 2019. Did the whole front end, a pillars, roofline, door edges and door pockets. Ended up with some (mostly minor) issue on other parts of the car. New car gets full PPF.

The OEM stripes are too soft and scratch easily. And if you look at the price of replacement stripes, you'll probably want to protect them more than the paint itself, lol.

I recommend you PPF over the stripe, which is how it was done on my car. Make sure you go with a good quality PPF that self-heals, like XPel.
I don't believe the GT350 stripes are rough like the matte section of M1 hood stripe.

OP
OP
swoop1156

swoop1156

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, that's what I found with my 2019. Did the whole front end, a pillars, roofline, door edges and door pockets. Ended up with some (mostly minor) issue on other parts of the car. New car gets full PPF.
I know it's dumb to say when we spend this kinda money on a vehicle like this (and in our case, a Raptor and GT Aviator soon) but a full car PPF is wild $$$! Sure, do it once and be done, especially since this is a special car and isn't driven daily, it's mostly a garage queen with no tracked usage in its future. On one hand, it's never really driven so why PPF, but then again, it'd be just my luck that in the minimal mileage, I'd get blasted by a gravel-hauling dump truck.

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
I was hesitant about getting a black car again but they M1 looks so good in black with the red accents (even ordered red calipers). That's why I'm planning to PPF the whole car. Glad I found this thread.
I was the same, my 03 Mach was black, and it only looked clean for 10 minutes after a wash. PPF protection along with whole car ceramic, makes it easy to keep it clean, you will not be disappointed in the finished product. I would also get the ceramic window tint, internal temps are much nicer in the summer.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was the same, my 03 Mach was black, and it only looked clean for 10 minutes after a wash. PPF protection along with whole car ceramic, makes it easy to keep it clean, you will not be disappointed in the finished product. I would also get the ceramic window tint, internal temps are much nicer in the summer.
Everything I've driven since like 1993 has gotten window tint. One of the first places I go with new (to me) vehicles if they don't already have tint. My window tint guy gave me a recommendation for a good PPF guy. I didn't take his advice on my 19 but I will on my 23 M1. Tint guy did PPF for a short time but decided just doing tint was keeping him busy enough I guess. The first places for the new car will for PPF/ceramic coating and then window tint.

Sponsored

OP
OP
swoop1156

swoop1156

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't speak for the M1, but the GT350 stripes are imo semi-gloss and smooth.
Think of the center portion of the Mach 1 stripe to be about 600grit sandpaper 😂

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
Think of the center portion of the Mach 1 stripe to be about 600grit sandpaper 😂
Yep, don't touch it or you'll leave a mark of dead skin from your finger, and it isn't that easy to remove. :explode:

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
I would be real nervous putting a decal over the ppf just knowing how exposed it will be to the environment. I didn't blink covering my whole hood and decal and so glad I did after seeing a couple of rocks skip across the hood.

Ask the installer if you have to remove the decal later will it damage the PPF?

OP
OP
swoop1156

swoop1156

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would be real nervous putting a decal over the ppf just knowing how exposed it will be to the environment. I didn't blink covering my whole hood and decal and so glad I did after seeing a couple of rocks skip across the hood.

Ask the installer if you have to remove the decal later will it damage the PPF?
I suppose there's no real difference between not doing anything to the car in general and leaving the decal where it's at from the factory. This is the first car I'm ever getting done with PPF and I've never had any real damage ever to any of my other 30+ vehicles over the years. I dunno, maybe I'm lucky or half stupid. Not sure why I'd need to remove the decal later on down the road, and if something forced my hand at that, it'd probably be a larger job any way that would necessitate the PPF to come off anyway.

I feel like I should say screw it all and just ceramic it and call it good. This is all too much of a pain in the ass - at least it's getting there.

Sponsored

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
I suppose there's no real difference between not doing anything to the car in general and leaving the decal where it's at from the factory. This is the first car I'm ever getting done with PPF and I've never had any real damage ever to any of my other 30+ vehicles over the years. I dunno, maybe I'm lucky or half stupid. Not sure why I'd need to remove the decal later on down the road, and if something forced my hand at that, it'd probably be a larger job any way that would necessitate the PPF to come off anyway.

I feel like I should say screw it all and just ceramic it and call it good. This is all too much of a pain in the ass - at least it's getting there.
I hate to see you just throw money away. I'm very happy the way mine turned out with covering the decal under PPF everything's protected and looks awesome. Good luck with your decision!

If you're planning on trading down the road it's a no-brainer.

OP
OP
swoop1156

swoop1156

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hate to see you just throw money away. I'm very happy the way mine turned out with covering the decal under PPF everything's protected and looks awesome. Good luck with your decision!

If you're planning on trading down the road it's a no-brainer.
Did you read the entirety of this post as well as the linked post that explains how you FJG guys can cover the entire decal without an issue, whereas other colors have a different material on the stripe and PPF doesn't take well to it?

Kachøw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1

Honestly that's where I came out at after thinking about it and getting prices. I was quoted at $2,700 for full frontal coverage, rockers, A pillars, and roof when I looked around for prices. If it was a Porsche 911 or some other car that's 6 figures, I'd say that's worth it, but these are still Mustangs at the end of the day. If PPF could cover the decal on the front of our non-FJG cars, then I'd say maybe it's more worthwhile — but it's not a good idea based off of photos I've seen on here from people who have tried.

IMO, PPF isn't really worth the money if you are not tracking the car constantly imo. If you have disposable income, don't care about the cost, and like having your car pristine at all times, then go for it.

As for me, I plan on getting mine detailed and ceramic coated when spring comes. I don't track my car and it's also my daily, be it rain, snow, or sunshine.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
I already have a few chips on the windshield but nothing on the PPF, pretty sure there would be several on the bumper and hood and sides too. PPF really works, it's expensive but lasts a really long time (10y warranty for me) so it's worth it.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my 19 PP2 I had PPF on the whole front of car. I had various marks on rocker areas, some on the roof and some marks on the PPF in a few areas. Most of the marks on the PPF cleaned up easy enough. It was also ceramic coated. The biggest thing I had was a rock hit on top of the hood. The PPF took damage (too much for the self healing) but the paint was 100% fine. The other minor marks on rocker/roof seemed permanent. I track regularly so I feel like it's a must. Have you ever seen the windshield of a track car? I don't want that being my paint. Although the rock that hit the hood was on the road.

That being said, I'm not sure which way I'll deal with the hood stripe. I'll try calling PPF guy and see what he says.
Sponsored