Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I have a 2018 GT-PP1 and a 2016 HD FLHTKL and they both have about the same mileage on them (also have a daily commuter car). I ride the bike more frequently, but when I drive the PP1 it's for longer distances - normally. I do ride on multi-day rides with my boys.

I also spend a ridiculous amount of money on mods for both yearly. I had a 2nd bike, but sold it... didn't ride it enough.

There is nothing like the freedom of a bike and the sound of a V8 - here's to keeping a foot in both worlds!

I am happy as fork!
A v8 is just so cool. Even if riding a motorcycle may subjectively be more fun, a v8 is a v8. I'm definitely gonna miss mine. I just put a new EFB battery in it, fresh alignment, brand new PS4S tires... I was behind a pp1 today in my boring rental Altima. It's like the universe is rubbing it in haha. But it seems like I won't regret the decision to move the fun over to two wheels, even if just for a little bit.

Definitely hold onto both! The v8 is a dying breed and the motorcycle isn't far behind if self driving cars ever matures.
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Damn. I'm glad you're okay! Is that an old photo or did you keep the helmet as a reminder?

I do find it cool that everyone seems to really enjoy the Mustang alongside a motorcycle. Makes me excited to learn how to ride but also a bit depressed that I have to say goodbye to mine... What bikes do you currently have?
The photo is old, taken after the accident, but I still have the helmet for posterity perched on top of a rack in my shop. A constant reminder, although once you go through something like this you don't forget it.

Of the four bikes I still own, three are Harleys: a '06 Street Rod, hardtail panhead chopper, and an Evolution powered FXR custom that was the first custom bike I built back in the mid-'90s. The fourth oddball is a '66 Sears 250 that belonged to my Dad that had been sitting since 1982, which I resurrected a couple of years ago. I keep toying with the idea of buying a Road King and another Ducati (had a Monster which I loved), but four is plenty.

Last edited:

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
I've got a 2021 Rebel 1100 DCT, 19 CBR650R and now a 22 Grom. I love my 21 GT manual, but it really does sit way more than I would have thought. I bought the Rebel DCT due to a nagging injury (went down a year ago) and really didn't think I'd like the DCT as much as do, but it's damn quick. It's probably a 50/50 vs the GT 0-60, but it does it so effortlessly.

20220807_165159.jpg

In terms of actual miles I did 4 to 1 over the summer on the Rebel vs the Mustang, and now with heated grips it's probably still 3 to 1. It's insanely quick and doesn't hurt that it gets 45-50 mpg even when driven like I stole it. I honestly have to make a concerted effort to drive the Mustang.

However, with that said if you're really interested in getting a bike I would highly recommend getting a small bike 1st. The Grom is hands down the most fun I've had on 2 wheels. 9.7hp and it's a blast. You'll learn more on it than you'll ever learn if you start on an 1100 DCT. The power of the Rebel can mask a lot of bad behaviors and make you a worse rider than you would be by learning on a smaller less powerful bike.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
The photo is old, taken after the accident, but I still have the helmet for posterity perched on top of a rack in my shop. A constant reminder, although once you go through something like this you don't forget it.

Of the four bikes I still own, three are Harleys: a '06 Street Rod, hardtail panhead chopper, and an Evolution powered FXR custom that was the first custom bike I built back in the mid-'90s. The fourth oddball is a '66 Sears 250 that belonged to my Dad that had been sitting since 1982, which I resurrected a couple of years ago. I keep toying with the idea of buying a Road King and another Ducati (had a Monster which I loved), but four is plenty.
I could only imagine you'd never forget. It's cool though, in a slightly morbid sense. I can only hope to never relate. At least safety gear seems to have advanced a good amount. I ended up finally getting to cycle gear and got a Shoei RF 1400. It was the only one that seemed to actually fit my weirdly shaped head.

I had to google the Sears 250. I'm sure that catches some looks when you take it out. That would be a tough choice. The road king is awesome but a Ducati monster would add a bit more variety to the group.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I've got a 2021 Rebel 1100 DCT, 19 CBR650R and now a 22 Grom. I love my 21 GT manual, but it really does sit way more than I would have thought. I bought the Rebel DCT due to a nagging injury (went down a year ago) and really didn't think I'd like the DCT as much as do, but it's damn quick. It's probably a 50/50 vs the GT 0-60, but it does it so effortlessly.

20220807_165159.jpg

In terms of actual miles I did 4 to 1 over the summer on the Rebel vs the Mustang, and now with heated grips it's probably still 3 to 1. It's insanely quick and doesn't hurt that it gets 45-50 mpg even when driven like I stole it. I honestly have to make a concerted effort to drive the Mustang.

However, with that said if you're really interested in getting a bike I would highly recommend getting a small bike 1st. The Grom is hands down the most fun I've had on 2 wheels. 9.7hp and it's a blast. You'll learn more on it than you'll ever learn if you start on an 1100 DCT. The power of the Rebel can mask a lot of bad behaviors and make you a worse rider than you would be by learning on a smaller less powerful bike.
You even had to go post a picture... haha. That 1100 is a gorgeous bike. That didn't help! It's cool to get a first hand opinion between it and the Mustang! Is the Mustang manual or auto?

I started looking into the Grom after someone else mentioned it. I doubt it'll be my first bike but I can definitely see myself owning one. It looks incredibly fun and easy to just hop on for quick spurt around the neighborhood. Although I'd be terrified to take it out into traffic. It's like the motorcycle equivalent of a smart car (something I also think would be hilarious and awesome to own someday).

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I could only imagine you'd never forget. It's cool though, in a slightly morbid sense. I can only hope to never relate. At least safety gear seems to have advanced a good amount. I ended up finally getting to cycle gear and got a Shoei RF 1400. It was the only one that seemed to actually fit my weirdly shaped head.

I had to google the Sears 250. I'm sure that catches some looks when you take it out. That would be a tough choice. The road king is awesome but a Ducati monster would add a bit more variety to the group.
You‘ve taken the first step, in buying a helmet. Next time you’re at Cycle Gear, check out their Built brand riding jeans/pants. They’re Kevlar lined and have armor inserts in the knees. I have a few pairs. In addition, get yourself some good gloves (not the ones with fingers out of them, but some with Kevlar lined palms and the backs of fingers and/or knuckles to deflect pebbles that might bounce up and hit your hands). Finally, pick out the bike of your dreams and get ready to “Let the good times roll.”

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
You‘ve taken the first step, in buying a helmet. Next time you’re at Cycle Gear, check out their Built brand riding jeans/pants. They’re Kevlar lined and have armor inserts in the knees. I have a few pairs. In addition, get yourself some good gloves (not the ones with fingers out of them, but some with Kevlar lined palms and the backs of fingers and/or knuckles to deflect pebbles that might bounce up and hit your hands). Finally, pick out the bike of your dreams and get ready to “Let the good times roll.”
One step ahead! I actually dumped close to $1k at cycle gear. I got a Sedici jacket with shoulder/elbow armor, a CE level 2 back guard insert (w/e it's actually called), leather reax gloves with knuckle guards and palm sliders, and tall boots. I wanted jeans but all they had left, in my size, were tighter than the crap I wore when I would skateboard in middle school. So I'm still shopping. I'm also trying to sign up for an MSF course and another safety course that teaches more advanced riding, come spring.

And... despite the protest, I located a Rebel 1100 that I'm going to check out tomorrow. I'm diggin' it way too much.

It's needed to keep me mentally sane dealing with my insurance right now. If anyone wants to consider Encompass, don't.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted jeans
get overpants. I crash-tested a pair of Kevlar-lined "Draggin' Jeans" (early model) at 128mph just outside Bartlesville OK. I was wearing Joe Rocket overpants. They melted and shredded a little bit. Jeans were perfectly fine. The big win with overpants is the knee and hip armor.

And you can take them off without everyone in the room covering their eyes at the sight of your tighty-whities, though maybe the bulging package has an upside? :)

I commute in office attire which is completely inappropriate for the road. So with a good season-appropriate MC jacket and overpants I can do my best Kent imitation.

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
You even had to go post a picture... haha. That 1100 is a gorgeous bike. That didn't help! It's cool to get a first hand opinion between it and the Mustang! Is the Mustang manual or auto?

I started looking into the Grom after someone else mentioned it. I doubt it'll be my first bike but I can definitely see myself owning one. It looks incredibly fun and easy to just hop on for quick spurt around the neighborhood. Although I'd be terrified to take it out into traffic. It's like the motorcycle equivalent of a smart car (something I also think would be hilarious and awesome to own someday).
Yes, the Mustang is a 6spd manual. I have a bad habit of buying and selling bikes. Typically 2-3 per year, but I'll probably never get rid of the Grom. You can't be mad on a Grom. There's just something really special about those bikes so definitely pick one up at some point.

I still wouldn't recommend the Rebel 1100 for the first bike. Not that its a bad bike, but the power and DCT will limit how much you'll actually learn. I owned a Rebel 500 and CBR500R's also and those are both amazing bikes. Plenty of power, light weight, and will really help you learn the basics. In many ways I actually like both 500's better than the 1100.

I think it was mentioned in a previous thread, but in terms of gear check out Shoei RF-1400 or RF-SR helmets. They're not the cheapest, but they are the benchmark for what helmets are measured against. I went down hard last year and my Shoei RF took some pretty severe damage, thankfully I had zero head injuries. I'm still amazed by how well it performed.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I'll second this, especially the gloves.

When I had my deer incident, the thick jeans I had on served remarkably well. However, I wasn't wearing gloves at the time, and I have some lovely scars on my knuckles and tops of certain fingers. More permanent reminders, see. I still haven't found riding pants I like, but I wear armored gloves all the time with the rest of my gear.

As for jackets, the brand doesn't matter much but my Vanson armored (back, shoulders, elbows) textile jacket definitely saved me from injury. I bought another soon after since insurance kept the remains of the one from the accident (not sure why they didn't want the helmet). With the liner removed, you don't know you're wearing a jacket even in the summer when in motion.

The day I got out of the hospital I remember seeing a young couple on a rocket, both wearing nothing but shorts, tank tops, and sandals. I cringed.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'll second this, especially the gloves.
I knew a guy years ago with a Suzuki GSXR750. He got a little crazy at times, but I never heard of anything bad happening to him from riding wheelies or any of that. However, one day he was just riding around in town and hit some sand on a corner at maybe 20 mph. He went down and ended up with a lot of gravel inside his hand. He was lucky to not lose the hand.

I wouldn't be surprised if that injury still bothers him 30 years later.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Yes, the Mustang is a 6spd manual. I have a bad habit of buying and selling bikes. Typically 2-3 per year, but I'll probably never get rid of the Grom. You can't be mad on a Grom. There's just something really special about those bikes so definitely pick one up at some point.

I still wouldn't recommend the Rebel 1100 for the first bike. Not that its a bad bike, but the power and DCT will limit how much you'll actually learn. I owned a Rebel 500 and CBR500R's also and those are both amazing bikes. Plenty of power, light weight, and will really help you learn the basics. In many ways I actually like both 500's better than the 1100.

I think it was mentioned in a previous thread, but in terms of gear check out Shoei RF-1400 or RF-SR helmets. They're not the cheapest, but they are the benchmark for what helmets are measured against. I went down hard last year and my Shoei RF took some pretty severe damage, thankfully I had zero head injuries. I'm still amazed by how well it performed.
Well I have been spending the last couple days riding around on my neighbors Rebel 300. My gf also has expressed interest in riding that I didn't know about. I showed her the grom and she's legitimately considering getting one haha.

Funny you mention the RF 1400 😉
20221202_183320.jpg

That's exactly what I ended up getting a few days ago. Jacket, gloves, boots, and helmet. I didn't get pants but I'm going to look into the overpants @shogun32 mentioned.

Speaking of, how hot do those get in the summer?

@Tucker80 @Strokerswild @Hack I got a pair of reax leather/mesh gloves (pictured with helmet). Palm sliders and knuckle guards. I know reax isn't necessarily a top of the line brand but they felt much better than some of the popular brands I tried on. It's not exactly apples to apples but my time playing paintball taught me to never forget the gloves! Seriously, if anyone doesn't wear these while riding, I'll even push the point. Busted hands are legitimately debilitating. Busting my pinky knuckle caused more trouble than when I broke my left arm.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
As for jackets, the brand doesn't matter much but my Vanson armored (back, shoulders, elbows) textile jacket definitely saved me from injury. I bought another soon after since insurance kept the remains of the one from the accident (not sure why they didn't want the helmet). With the liner removed, you don't know you're wearing a jacket even in the summer when in motion.

The day I got out of the hospital I remember seeing a young couple on a rocket, both wearing nothing but shorts, tank tops, and sandals. I cringed.
That's good to know about the jacket not being an issue in the summer! That's the same kind I picked up. Although I needed to purchase a separate insert for the back but the insert is probably better than what comes in a lot of jackets.

That reminds me of when I was target plinking on a plot of land (friend of a friend of a friend...). A younger guy rolled up on an ATV with his girlfriend, while we were shooting, with absolutely zero ear protection. Several of us, in line, one shooting about 200 ft out with his mk14. I offered them some foam plugs for something but they declined. Like, guys... you can't fix your hearing. Some people are incredibly stupid just for the sake of looking tough, or whatever reason.

I wouldn't be surprised if that injury still bothers him 30 years later.
I cringed visualizing that if it was so had he almost lost his hand. Ugh.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
All motorcycle gear even the full mesh stuff gets sweaty hot standing around or walking. But it's very comfortable once moving 20mph. You can actually get chilled even when it's 85F out. Do not shirk gear because it's hot. Step out of it if you're getting hot walking to and from the garage or undo the leg zipper at the top to vent.

If you're in the saddle, the gear needs to be on. Always. Even if you're going 3 blocks for cigs.
Sponsored