daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
First off, sorry to learn of your accident. I've got 40 years over you and I've had my share too.

But I've had bikes now having ridden and tracked and motorcrossed in my late teens and twenties. Now and for the last 45 years I'm pretty much a Night Train and a Road King guy. Still have a "76 Shovel Head Sportster that I share with a close friend in poor health but we've been everywhere Sturgis, Daytona, Laconia, Rendezvous you name it.

And you never really ridden as yet I take.

For me at the young age of 70 . Riding is a completely different thing. More freedom. Ok, more danger. Its part of living. Some day the keys on all these things cars, trucks, aircraft, snowmobiles, lawn tractors .... name it....they'll hang on a hook for good.

As for me, I want to pick and choose my slice of life. I want them all.

Only the weather and my mood or need to satisfy my wife's "honey do" list serve my intentions and desires. But having a variety of experience with varied wheeled things (go-karts too) are all instruments that have enriched my worth life. Freedom and expression is good for the soul always.

Hell yea.. I'd rather go out doing something I love and makes me feel alive, than to never live at all. Anytime you go outside your house, you are at some type of risk. Can't live in fear.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
whereabouts? Dekalb and Arlington Heights community colleges used to run classes into december just as long as the pavement was dry. Rider's Edge in Kenosha WI also. There are 2 commercial riding schools that operate out of Bulls Stadium parking lots but they are likely done for the season.

But really it's highly unlikely you're going to take a class and then ride all winter long so your skills will have atrophied to uselessness and you might as well take a Spring class. Early on you should ride 3 days/week or more. Doesn't have to be long rides, 40 minutes is fine just as long as it's not just going straight on a highway.
I haven't found any openings. I tried looking at idot.illinois.gov and msf. The latter led me to a website for H-D riding academy but no one has any openings until march or april. I'll wait until then but I was curious to dip take a safety course to properly dip my toes into the water. My neighbor actually let me ride for an hour today. First time on! I practiced low speed maneuvering and tight circles. Using the clutch wasn't too much different than a car so that came quick. Man... was that fun. Funny thing too is I was so absorbed that I didn't even notice how cold I was until I stopped.

But I do get your point. I can't even get an M class until the spring so it really limits my ability to practice right now.

Harper College motorcycle class is great if you can get signed up for one.. I rode dirty for a couple years and got tired of being paranoid.. so I got in the class, $20 to sign up and if its a big deal, you an even get your money back at the end.. I didn't bother.. to me the class was worth the $20.. and when you are done, you get a paper and take it to the DMV and boom you get your M class..

Too bad I just sold my grom.. I would have let you ride it around.. that thing was a blast, slow but fun.. I enjoyed riding it more than my GSXR600... I def need to get another one, someone made an offer I couldn't refuse on it.
Harper college stopped their motorcycle classes earlier this year, as I recently learned. Mchenry county college also used to have one but I haven't had any luck looking that up, either. I wonder if a lot of this is covid related.

Haha, I do appreciate the sentiment! The grom does seem like a fun little bike. It definitely seems like something that's easy to whip around without worrying about dumping it.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
But I do get your point. I can't even get an M class until the spring so it really limits my ability to practice right now.
well if your neighbor is willing, and you live close to one of the training sites, the parking lot has the exercise lines painted. And if you can wrangle an instructor to come out, he can show you a few things. That way you're not ingraining novice mistakes that you then have to unlearn. The biggest thing we harped on was "eyes up, look far ahead".

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
First off, sorry to learn of your accident. I've got 40 years over you and I've had my share too.

But I've had bikes now having ridden and tracked and motorcrossed in my late teens and twenties. Now and for the last 45 years I'm pretty much a Night Train and a Road King guy. Still have a "76 Shovel Head Sportster that I share with a close friend in poor health but we've been everywhere Sturgis, Daytona, Laconia, Rendezvous you name it.

And you never really ridden as yet I take.

For me at the young age of 70 . Riding is a completely different thing. More freedom. Ok, more danger. Its part of living. Some day the keys on all these things cars, trucks, aircraft, snowmobiles, lawn tractors .... name it....they'll hang on a hook for good.

As for me, I want to pick and choose my slice of life. I want them all.

Only the weather and my mood or need to satisfy my wife's "honey do" list serve my intentions and desires. But having a variety of experience with varied wheeled things (go-karts too) are all instruments that have enriched me and help me to both cope with stuff and helps me to enjoy life. An outlet, an adventure, an obsession. Freedom and expression is good for the soul always.
Well said! And you're correct, I haven't really ridden. I got my first taste a couple hours ago on my neighbor's Rebel 300, for about 40 minutes. The way you and everyone on here, who's passionate about riding, describe it is something else. It's evident how much some of you truly love it. I hear pilots talk in a similar manner and it's almost intoxicating.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't found any openings. I tried looking at idot.illinois.gov and msf. The latter led me to a website for H-D riding academy but no one has any openings until march or april. I'll wait until then but I was curious to dip take a safety course to properly dip my toes into the water. My neighbor actually let me ride for an hour today. First time on! I practiced low speed maneuvering and tight circles. Using the clutch wasn't too much different than a car so that came quick. Man... was that fun. Funny thing too is I was so absorbed that I didn't even notice how cold I was until I stopped.

Harper college stopped their motorcycle classes earlier this year, as I recently learned. Mchenry county college also used to have one but I haven't had any luck looking that up, either. I wonder if a lot of this is covid related.

Haha, I do appreciate the sentiment! The grom does seem like a fun little bike. It definitely seems like something that's easy to whip around without worrying about dumping it.
Wow, that sucks.. It was a great weekend class with a supplied bike. I wonder why, they were always jam packed with people. Such a shame and bad news for a lot of people... it was very easy to pass and get your license. I took my class during the height of COVID.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
well if your neighbor is willing, and you live close to one of the training sites, the parking lot has the exercise lines painted. And if you can wrangle an instructor to come out, he can show you a few things. That way you're not ingraining novice mistakes that you then have to unlearn. The biggest thing we harped on was "eyes up, look far ahead".
I wouldn't even know where to get in touch with an instructor. Maybe I'll get lucky and one will see me struggling in the parking lot haha.

That's something that holds true for quite a bit. I was told that when learning to drive a car and also when learning to fly. Trying to star at the runway directly under the plane doesn't yield good results when you're trying to land and keep it straight!

I also was able to find a training video, on youtube, showing people make circles inside cones.
Wow, that sucks.. It was a great weekend class with a supplied bike. I wonder why, they were always jam packed with people. Such a shame and bad news for a lot of people... it was very easy to pass and get your license. I took my class during the height of COVID.
Really? Weird. The classes ceased on June 30th, and that goes for all northern locations. They're attempting to find a new host but who knows when that will happen. Man, the timing of losing my Mustang continued to get worse and worse haha.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Now that you jogged my memory, I recall that first Honda 450 I bought had automatic transmission. I didn't know any better; there wasn't any internet to ask questions on. I saw an ad in the newspaper for pretty new bike cheap, so I figured I'd give it a try. Wow, that was a mistake! After about 2 months I sold it to a woman who didn't have a left thumb, so she couldn't squeeze a clutch lever.

Sorry to go off topic... that's how old people roll sometimes!
It's not as off topic as you would think. I've been considering a DCT bike. It seems good for a beginner and a change of pace from using manual cars my whole life. Although, after riding today for the first time, getting the hang of shifting wasn't as difficult as I was expecting. It was hard to determine if I was in neutral or gear but I didn't stall the bike once! So maybe I'll opt for a manual after some more seat time.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't even know where to get in touch with an instructor. Maybe I'll get lucky and one will see me struggling in the parking lot haha.
call the program office of the CC that hosts a class. Or call around to dealers. They commonly sponsor the bikes used in the program and would know a couple of the instructors or the site/regional coordinator. Sadly the names I have are probably long gone by now.

If the Motorcycle Show still comes to Chicago Convention Center, the MSF/training booth will be staffed by instructors or people very close to the program.

TrackMeisterWannabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 w/HP
It's definitely on my list, especially with no one to actively coach me. But, unfortunately, it's a good 4 months before one starts.

Ah, so that's what those are! I've noticed some bikes had that effect but didn't even really think about what it was.

Definitely! Drive modes, abs, traction control, etc. I didn't even realize bikes had all of that and it's great to see they do.

Fortunately I live in the suburbs. I hate even driving a car in the city.

I had to google gremlin bell... I appreciate all the points!
Check out former motorcycle instructor Kevin Morris's channel on Youtube. He had to quit teaching in person due to knee issues that precluded him from standing long hours. I've been watching his videos since shortly after he started his channel. He is the real deal when it comes to learning about riding a motorcycle as well as everything that goes with it..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC4gEs8RahtTYiBqsiziudQ

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Call around to your local Harley Davidson dealers. Many of them offer the course. My son just took it 6 months ago here in Florida for $175, where he received his paperwork at the end of the course and took it to the DMV to get his endorsement.

Prior to receiving my endorsement, I would ride my MC up to the DMV after hours and/or on weekends and practice on the actual course which was painted on the ground. I was capable of riding on the highway and street before already, but wanted to make sure I knew what the course was like before taking the rider’s test, so I would pass on the first try.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Definitely get some training, and always wear full gear. There's nothing short of flying that gives the freedom of a bike.

As for the gear, here's a picture to consider. I clipped a deer in the fall of '09 on one of my Harleys. My gear saved my life. Even though I was wearing full gear, I still spent a night in the hospital and had a hell of a concussion for the better part of a week.

helmet.jpg

I'm down to four bikes, but due to them competing with the Mustang for nice days the car still only has a little over 12K on the odo. I see this changing as I get older though, and I've had thoughts of thinning the herd of bikes further to make room for another car. My back doesn't enjoy my hardtail panhead much anymore, let alone kicking over its 93" engine.

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I have a 2018 GT-PP1 and a 2016 HD FLHTKL and they both have about the same mileage on them (also have a daily commuter car). I ride the bike more frequently, but when I drive the PP1 it's for longer distances - normally. I do ride on multi-day rides with my boys.

I also spend a ridiculous amount of money on mods for both yearly. I had a 2nd bike, but sold it... didn't ride it enough.

There is nothing like the freedom of a bike and the sound of a V8 - here's to keeping a foot in both worlds!

I am happy as fork!

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
call the program office of the CC that hosts a class. Or call around to dealers. They commonly sponsor the bikes used in the program and would know a couple of the instructors or the site/regional coordinator. Sadly the names I have are probably long gone by now.

If the Motorcycle Show still comes to Chicago Convention Center, the MSF/training booth will be staffed by instructors or people very close to the program.
Ah, for sure. Great suggestions, I appreciate it! I'll start by calling the program that hosts the class and go from there.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Check out former motorcycle instructor Kevin Morris's channel on Youtube. He had to quit teaching in person due to knee issues that precluded him from standing long hours. I've been watching his videos since shortly after he started his channel. He is the real deal when it comes to learning about riding a motorcycle as well as everything that goes with it..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC4gEs8RahtTYiBqsiziudQ
Awesome! I'll definitely check it out. Thank you!

Call around to your local Harley Davidson dealers. Many of them offer the course. My son just took it 6 months ago here in Florida for $175, where he received his paperwork at the end of the course and took it to the DMV to get his endorsement.

Prior to receiving my endorsement, I would ride my MC up to the DMV after hours and/or on weekends and practice on the actual course which was painted on the ground. I was capable of riding on the highway and street before already, but wanted to make sure I knew what the course was like before taking the rider’s test, so I would pass on the first try.
Some of the Harley dealerships are listed on the MSF site but the classes don't start until spring. Although it definitely couldn't hurt to pay them a visit. And I know the exact markings you're talking about. The DMV is a bit of a haul but that's a great suggestion if I can drag my neighbor to it!

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Definitely get some training, and always wear full gear. There's nothing short of flying that gives the freedom of a bike.

As for the gear, here's a picture to consider. I clipped a deer in the fall of '09 on one of my Harleys. My gear saved my life. Even though I was wearing full gear, I still spent a night in the hospital and had a hell of a concussion for the better part of a week.

helmet.jpg

I'm down to four bikes, but due to them competing with the Mustang for nice days the car still only has a little over 12K on the odo. I see this changing as I get older though, and I've had thoughts of thinning the herd of bikes further to make room for another car. My back doesn't enjoy my hardtail panhead much anymore, let alone kicking over its 93" engine.
Damn. I'm glad you're okay! Is that an old photo or did you keep the helmet as a reminder?

I do find it cool that everyone seems to really enjoy the Mustang alongside a motorcycle. Makes me excited to learn how to ride but also a bit depressed that I have to say goodbye to mine... What bikes do you currently have?
Sponsored