Opinions from motorcycle owners

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Dude, that's absolutely ridiculous and epic. I love it haha.

I actually don't want a crotch rocket. I think (my opinion) they're a bit one dimensional. I'm worried I'd get too addicted to doing what they're designed to do.

All of that is actually why the Rebel 1100 is at the top of my list. It has ABS, wheelie control, three drive modes (rain, standard, sport), among other safety features. It also can be optioned with a DCT which I find really interesting.

I got my M class permit yesterday and on my way back I noticed my neighbor had his bike out. He has a rebel 300 he's looking to upgrade soon and he offered to show me how to ride it, so now I just need gear! I'm getting a headache looking up helmets, though. Online advice is irritating. I keep seeing "try it on first" pop up but then there's also advice to steer clear of the cheaper brands sold on shelf. That's a complete contradiction.

I want to protect my squishy bits but I'm also apprehensive to dump $700 on a helmet if I'm not even sure I'm going to commit to this.
I have several helmets. Half helmets, full face and a modular helmet that can be configured for half, 3/4 or full face. Maybe something like that would be a good idea for you. Here’s the modular one that I have.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/shop/pilot-3-in-1-x04-helmet/p/98193-17VX
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'd advise starting off with something smaller and lighter than 1100. That's a heavy, powerful bike for someone with zero experience.
I agree whole heartedly with this. Start with a 500 or smaller if possible. They have plenty of power to weight. Somebody earlier in the thread said you will lay a bike down - that everyone does. I laid down my first motorcycle a few times, but never since then. I think it's because I started with a Honda Elsinore 125 when I was 12 riding on gravel roads and trying to climb hills plus I rode my dad's Kawasaki KZ1000 a LOT during my late teens. Getting used to the weight and how to balance it is very important. Once a 1000 cc bike starts to tip over it gets HEAVY fast.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I started out on a 600, but knowing what I know now, I wish I would have gone for the bigger bike (750 or 1000), so that I could have grown into it, rather than going through several bikes before I arrived there. A 600 is physically the same size as a 750 and 1000, so if your budget permits, go big right off the bat and just have good throttle control.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I commuted 340 days a year in Chicago and in DC. Biking in suboptimal weather is a committed choice. Training is not a suggestion it is a non negotiable requirement - I've been an instructor for 10 years so fine, I'm sligtly biased on the topic.

Modern gear is vastly lighter than it used to be. But even so it takes a deliberate choice to have it with you. And yes you're gonna be "that guy" who walks in all Robocop with helmet in hand, safety vest on, swishing with each step. I've tasted asphalt a few (too many) times and I'd rather sweat than bleed thank you very much.

If your routes are mostly straight then a bike becomes a bit of a bore/chore. Still, if you examine a map you eventually will find some curves.

Your first bike is a LEARNING opportunity. Buy cheap. Once you practice and practice and practice and have the odd (near)mishap along the way and you're sure you want to be a motorcycle rider, THEN you can go out and buy your 'dream' bike.

I started on a 750cc Honda Nighthawk. Plenty docile if you want it to be. Did 20,000 miles the first year. Then I bought a GS500e about 8 months into my journey and REALLY learned how to ride properly. Then I was able to handle the Nighthawk MUCH more confidently. Then I learned what TOP HEAVY was with a Triumph Trident 885. I own a dozen bikes right now and multiple Mustangs and a GT sedan so yes my bikes don't get the workout they used to.

Last edited:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Motorcycles can't turn or brake like a car can, and if
Use the front brake, MC is unable to outmaneuver a car how many minutes do you say you road?
I do plan to get a car. This isn't car or bike but more expensive sports car or cheap commuter and fun bike.

Flying is incredibly thrilling. Even flying a tame little piper. My Mustang felt so... detached, after every flight. One moment I'm literally riding on the wind, the next I'm just... not. A plane is definitely in my future, but unfortunately I just can't financially handle one right now.
All good things come in time.

Sponsored

TrackMeisterWannabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 w/HP
The best safety recommendations I can make for anyone contemplating riding motorcycles are the following:

1) Take at least one, preferably two, classes on riding motorcycles then practice what you learned weekly afterwards to hone your skills until they become second nature.

2) Install headlight and taillight modulators. Undoubtedly, the best safety enhancement you can make to your bike. I marvel at the number of people that are about to pull out in front of me that abort their decisions when they see my flashing headlights.

3) As spoken about previously ABS brakes are the way to go. As I understand it, you can't even buy a bike in Europe without them.

4) Ride mostly outside of the city. It seems that the moronic drivers multiplied exponentially during Covid in the cities I frequent. Too many distractions, too little enforcement and too much horsepower in the hands of young inexperienced drivers who think they are playing a full motion video game while driving. If you must ride in the city try to avoid the congested highways during rush hour.

4) Ride like everyone is out to kill you. Keep your head on a swivel and don't forget your gremlin bell!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Use the front brake, MC is unable to outmaneuver a car how many minutes do you say you road?
How many bikes can pull over 1 G on a skid pad? Why can't you find published numbers for how many Gs motorcycles will pull? It's dangerous to even test the cornering limits of motorcycles in controlled conditions. In a car you just turn the steering wheel and you easily and safely can hit the limit of cornering. Any typical economy car will turn better than a motorcycle.

I definitely was careful with the front brake on a motorcycle back when I rode one. In the real world many roads have sand and other imperfections. When the front tire loses traction, you go down fast. But I haven't ridden new motorcycles with electronic devices like ABS to do the braking for me.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
How many bikes can pull over 1 G on a skid pad? Why can't you find published numbers for how many Gs motorcycles will pull? It's dangerous to even test the cornering limits of motorcycles in controlled conditions. In a car you just turn the steering wheel and you easily and safely can hit the limit of cornering. Any typical economy car will turn better than a motorcycle.

I definitely was careful with the front brake on a motorcycle back when I rode one. In the real world many roads have sand and other imperfections. When the front tire loses traction, you go down fast. But I haven't ridden new motorcycles with electronic devices like ABS to do the braking for me.
I guess it is all about experience, riding, and knowing how to handle the machine.

You read your skid pad data, I'll be out riding and experiencing life.

All machines have a point of no return, that's life in the fast lane

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I keep seeing "try it on first" pop up but then there's also advice to steer clear of the cheaper brands sold on shelf. That's a complete contradiction.
Cycle Gear has cheap to expensive. Yes you MUST try them on first - you don't have any idea how the different brands and models fit your head. I've had $100 lids that have been Euro and SNELL approved, and $500 ones. I think the sweet spot is 150-300.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Cycle Gear has cheap to expensive. Yes you MUST try them on first - you don't have any idea how the different brands and models fit your head. I've had $100 lids that have been Euro and SNELL approved, and $500 ones. I think the sweet spot is 150-300.
I plan to visit the one closest to me tomorrow. I was reading about the new ECE 22.06 certification but none of the newer helmets, with that cert, are available locally. So that's a bit disappointing.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
1) Take at least one, preferably two, classes on riding motorcycles then practice what you learned weekly afterwards to hone your skills until they become second nature.
It's definitely on my list, especially with no one to actively coach me. But, unfortunately, it's a good 4 months before one starts.

2) Install headlight and taillight modulators. Undoubtedly, the best safety enhancement you can make to your bike. I marvel at the number of people that are about to pull out in front of me that abort their decisions when they see my flashing headlights.
Ah, so that's what those are! I've noticed some bikes had that effect but didn't even really think about what it was.

3) As spoken about previously ABS brakes are the way to go. As I understand it, you can't even buy a bike in Europe without them.
Definitely! Drive modes, abs, traction control, etc. I didn't even realize bikes had all of that and it's great to see they do.

4) Ride mostly outside of the city. It seems that the moronic drivers multiplied exponentially during Covid in the cities I frequent. Too many distractions, too little enforcement and too much horsepower in the hands of young inexperienced drivers who think they are playing a full motion video game while driving. If you must ride in the city try to avoid the congested highways during rush hour.
Fortunately I live in the suburbs. I hate even driving a car in the city.

4) Ride like everyone is out to kill you. Keep your head on a swivel and don't forget your gremlin bell!
I had to google gremlin bell... I appreciate all the points!

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Now that you jogged my memory, I recall that first Honda 450 I bought had automatic transmission. I didn't know any better; there wasn't any internet to ask questions on. I saw an ad in the newspaper for pretty new bike cheap, so I figured I'd give it a try. Wow, that was a mistake! After about 2 months I sold it to a woman who didn't have a left thumb, so she couldn't squeeze a clutch lever.

Sorry to go off topic... that's how old people roll sometimes!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Fortunately I live in the suburbs
whereabouts? Dekalb and Arlington Heights community colleges used to run classes into december just as long as the pavement was dry. Rider's Edge in Kenosha WI also. There are 2 commercial riding schools that operate out of Bulls Stadium parking lots but they are likely done for the season.

But really it's highly unlikely you're going to take a class and then ride all winter long so your skills will have atrophied to uselessness and you might as well take a Spring class. Early on you should ride 3 days/week or more. Doesn't have to be long rides, 40 minutes is fine just as long as it's not just going straight on a highway.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Harper College motorcycle class is great if you can get signed up for one.. I rode dirty for a couple years and got tired of being paranoid.. so I got in the class, $20 to sign up and if its a big deal, you an even get your money back at the end.. I didn't bother.. to me the class was worth the $20.. and when you are done, you get a paper and take it to the DMV and boom you get your M class..

Too bad I just sold my grom.. I would have let you ride it around.. that thing was a blast, slow but fun.. I enjoyed riding it more than my GSXR600... I def need to get another one, someone made an offer I couldn't refuse on it.

DaveR.PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT PP2 ; 67 Shelby GT350; 67 Mustang S Code Coupe; 88 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe
TLDR. Those of you who own a motorcycle and the Mustang, do you find yourself riding the bike less or appreciating it more?

Long version. I'll start by saying I know this is only a decision I can ultimately make, but I want opinions from those who own both. My insurance is totaling my car (illegal to buyback in IL). I'm bummed. It's my first new car (2 miles on it when bought), my vice (cruising back roads when stressed does wonders), and my daily for the last 4 years. I don't want a used s550 and don't want to go into debt for the exact same thing. I'm looking at the s650 (might even test drive a camaro) but it's hard to get excited for it. Granted, that could just be because I'm depressed over this whole thing.

I'll need another car regardless, in the meantime, so I started humoring the idea of getting a motorcycle. I've never ridden one. I've flown planes, autocrossed and tracked my old car, driven stick my whole life, but literally have never even been on the back of a motorcycle. I've always wanted one but between the plethora of idiot drivers and me not trusting myself in my younger years, it never happened.

https://powersports.honda.com/motorcycle/cruiser/rebel-1100 that caught my eye. It has the styling I love, just as quick (maybe quicker) than my Mustang, and also comes with plenty of features that'll help a first time rider who doesn't want to start small. Not to mention I can get this and a commuter without taking out a loan (which I'd have to do with the s650).

I just don't really have a way of knowing if I'll end up missing the v8 and the comfort/safety a car brings.

EDIT: Here's the details of the accident if anyone is curious. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/well-at-the-ripe-age-of-30-i-had-my-first-accident.182345/
First off, sorry to learn of your accident. I've got 40 years over you and I've had my share too.

But I've had bikes now having ridden and tracked and motorcrossed in my late teens and twenties. Now and for the last 45 years I'm pretty much a Night Train and a Road King guy. Still have a "76 Shovel Head Sportster that I share with a close friend in poor health but we've been everywhere Sturgis, Daytona, Laconia, Rendezvous you name it.

And you never really ridden as yet I take.

For me at the young age of 70 . Riding is a completely different thing. More freedom. Ok, more danger. Its part of living. Some day the keys on all these things cars, trucks, aircraft, snowmobiles, lawn tractors .... name it....they'll hang on a hook for good.

As for me, I want to pick and choose my slice of life. I want them all.

Only the weather and my mood or need to satisfy my wife's "honey do" list serve my intentions and desires. But having a variety of experience with varied wheeled things (go-karts too) are all instruments that have enriched me and help me to both cope with stuff and helps me to enjoy life. An outlet, an adventure, an obsession. Freedom and expression is good for the soul always.
Sponsored

Last edited: