Sad, possible loss….

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
This is a tough one, but given that valuations are coming down, it might be best to take the money and run. If you do get it fixed and are not happy, chances are that by the time the repair is complete, the resale valuations will have dropped further (and having the repair on the CarFax will push resale value down even more). This may be your last chance to get a good price.
Sponsored

Turbo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt DHG; Electronics, MR, Recaros, Cover, 2017 Explorer Sport Ingot Silver, 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
The one sticking point for me to not rebuild is, according to Ford...even at 6000 miles...Salvage title or whatever your state calls it means factory warranty is OVER, voided.
I found out when pricing low mile Explorer Interceptors with rebuilt and salvage VINs.
Proceed with caution on that plan.

OP
OP
Adotcaruso86

Adotcaruso86

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
Appreciate all of the advice. I’ve come to grips with just accepting the buyout. $53,757 minus $1k deductible. Now just hope my insurance doesn’t get absolutely clobbered but that’s also something that I’ll just have to accept

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Appreciate all of the advice. I’ve come to grips with just accepting the buyout. $53,757 minus $1k deductible. Now just hope my insurance doesn’t get absolutely clobbered but that’s also something that I’ll just have to accept
It sucks but that’s probably the best course of action. Hopefully you’re able to find something else to fill the void, whether it’s another Bullitt or something else.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Sorry it all worked out this way, but it seems like you got a reasonable settlement. Now that the hard part is over, maybe have a bit of fun looking at what's next. If you can't find another Bullet, maybe you can find a Mach 1, or even hold out for a Dark Horse.

Sponsored

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Thanks man. I appreciate it. It just seems all so weird to me but that’s not the business I am in. You said “buy another car and go FI”. What’s “FI”?
Forced induction. So either a supercharger or a turbocharger. Don't think there's a turbo for this engine tho, just superchargers, but I might be wrong.

And joining others in saying "sorry" about your situation. Bullitts are special, which I'm obviously very subjective about, so getting back into one wouldn't be a bad idea. Good luck and hope you find a good place to park that cash.

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hi - Sorry about your accident and dilemma. I will take your experience to heart and drive a bit more cautiously and defensively… Bruce

OP
OP
Adotcaruso86

Adotcaruso86

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
Ended up finding a 2019 with all
The options I had with the exception of the recaros….only 720 miles. Priced less than what insurance gave me. 13 hours away from me. Flying there Friday and taking a two day drive home…maybe with some sort of reckoning of what I lost and to be more careful next time…under 1,000 miles is it advisable to fluctuate speeds and rpm? Or is that just hocus pocus?

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Maybe you can swap your recaros in…

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The options I had with the exception of the recaros….only 720 miles. Priced less than what insurance gave me. 13 hours away from me. Flying there Friday and taking a two day drive home…maybe with some sort of reckoning of what I lost and to be more careful next time…under 1,000 miles is it advisable to fluctuate speeds and rpm? Or is that just hocus pocus?
Good to hear you found something! While it’s not a bad idea to change speeds and RPM for a few hundred more miles, at least there’s some mileage on it already so it’s already got some break-in on it. Not sure how hard and fast the 1,000 mile rule of thumb is, but I tend to follow the manufacturer on stuff lIke that. And as @IPOGT said, maybe you can swap seats and put your Recaro’s in

Sponsored

Cpcloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - 6MT
Nice!!

I believe the car manual says up until 900 miles

I drove the first 300miles on highway shifting between 4th, 5th and 6th gear .. ..

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Break-in period states (I think even in the manual) to vary speeds and RPMs and to avoid a long cruise control until you pass 1,000rpm.

I'd shift frequently up to about 4000-4500 rpm until it's broken in. That's what I did on my Bullitt and a recent oil change analysis states the engine is breaking in extremely well.

OP
OP
Adotcaruso86

Adotcaruso86

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
Thanks everyone. I’m still blown away to find a car with 700 miles on it. Only thing that looks off to me is that this dealer or original owner waxed the car rather poorly and there looks to be some old wax on the plastic rocker panels. I’m wondering if my insurance company would let me buy the recaros or I’d have to wait to see who they sell the salvaged car to

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
I'll just say that if you don't fix her, she will end somewhere in east europe and somebody will enjoy the hell out of her for the rest of the life.

I can never understand how a medium intensity damage can have american insurance companies declare a total loss. Probably the cost of labour + the throwaway culture.

Fix it, that car is completely fixable. And without too much effort I would say.

Edit: came too late, already thrown away. Sorry for your loss. But really, if somebody could elaborate for me... why? Why americans throw away perfectly repairable cars so easily?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Adotcaruso86

Adotcaruso86

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
I'll just say that if you don't fix her, she will end somewhere in east europe and somebody will enjoy the hell out of her for the rest of the life.

I can never understand how a medium intensity damage can have american insurance companies declare a total loss. Probably the cost of labour + the throwaway culture.

Fix it, that car is completely fixable. And without too much effort I would say.

Edit: came too late, already thrown away. Sorry for your loss. But really, if somebody could elaborate for me... why? Why americans throw away perfectly repairable cars so easily?
my understanding of the damage was that at surface level it was already getting close to a limit they were comfortable with. And as parts start coming off, they can only assume the price can go up. They provided additional photos that Showed multiple structural Parts were damaged and that to repair the car properly could take 6 months. I talked to three heavy collision places and none of them wanted the job
Sponsored