Sponsored

Of these 3 mods, which one would you do?

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Stock cams don't give as much power as upgraded cams... No one is saying you can't run stock cams in high boost applications.

Cj is great for the street, if you are racing on the street, or even revving the car out. It will make more power than other manifolds and will have a nice flat hp curve from ~7k - ~8k rpm. It will also help a lot with cams.

And OP doesn't need another $4k for boost...

Ess 5600 + odds n ends,+ optional fueling upgrades. Or just id1050 bap g2 and be way ahead.

The amount of $$ and time to screw with any of the above, is very low yield, comparatively speaking dollar for dollar.
Sponsored

RacingRoger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKZ, F-150 Lariat, 2022 Mustang GT Premium

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
So what is this OPG y'all speak of?
Oil pump gears. The oil pump gears are mated to the crankshaft and sit in a housing. They pump oil through the engine and are a very important part of the engine.

There has been lots of reports of oil pump gear failures when hitting the rev limiter or having high hp. I suspect it’s mostly the rev limiter tho. For safety it’s suggested to upgrade the oil pump gears if adding power to the car or using a 2-step. The cranksprocket is also known to be an issue and can easily be replaced when doing the opg.

RacingRoger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKZ, F-150 Lariat, 2022 Mustang GT Premium
Oil pump gears. The oil pump gears are mated to the crankshaft and sit in a housing. They pump oil through the engine and are a very important part of the engine.

There has been lots of reports of oil pump gear failures when hitting the rev limiter or having high hp. I suspect it’s mostly the rev limiter tho. For safety it’s suggested to upgrade the oil pump gears if adding power to the car or using a 2-step. The cranksprocket is also known to be an issue and can easily be replaced when doing the opg.
Thanks for the explanation, and taking the time for the added details. I'm new here, trying to get up to speed on Mustangs beyond pushrod V-8's. Hopefully in a year I'll get my hands on a 2017 GT. So I'll spend the next 12 months studying up on things like which one of these 3 mods should I do....

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
Going N/A from the money point of view it’s completely dumb… you will put a shit ton of money and the $5k supercharger will take you to gapplebees… unless you are wild horse with his master launch technique lmao

why wasting +$1500 on a CJ mani to make more power when you can buy a return fuel system, go e85and get a smaller pulley and make even more money? Because you want to shift at 8k instead of 7500? Nah… I’ll pass… oh, btw, my car with +18 mani is shifting around 7800-7900 and was $350

Sponsored

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Going N/A from the money point of view it’s completely dumb… you will put a shit ton of money and the $5k supercharger will take you to gapplebees… unless you are wild horse with his master launch technique lmao

why wasting +$1500 on a CJ mani to make more power when you can buy a return fuel system, go e85and get a smaller pulley and make even more money? Because you want to shift at 8k instead of 7500? Nah… I’ll pass… oh, btw, my car with +18 mani is shifting around 7800-7900 and was $350
Yes financially all out N/A makes no sense on these cars, but they make decent power for what they are, and some people prefer N/A.

And yes the wild horse magic 2nd gear shift can not be matched, the way he caresses the shift knob can not be replicated, and a puny $5k supercharger will not even be in the same league.

I’ve seen a video of a coyote revving to 9k, but he only made like 500whp. Revs sound good and are definitely cool, but not faster than a supercharger.

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Car is a gen3 manual.
Mods are Wheels & Tires, Longtubes without cats, xpipe and catback, aftermarket air intake using stock airbox + tune.
(No idea on RWHP yet, goes on the dyno this Friday to get some baseline numbers before I do one of the next 3 mods)

I have about 4k budget on my next performance mod. (a little more if needed)
On the mods I'm considering, I would have a shop do the install, so the money must cover parts & labor.

I'm considering these 3 options.

Option #1: I was thinking about the new CJ intake manifold + supporting mods/parts & tune.
Option #2: Cams, OPG, cam sprocket & tune.
Option #3: Nitrous kit & tune.

I'm assuming that 4-5k is enough to cover parts & labor on any of the 3 options.

Would the CJ intake +required supported mods make more than the cams?
And for 4k could you get a nice nitrous quality nitrous kit?

Basically I can't make up my mind, and I need to spend my money before my wife wants to buy something.
This cracked me up. I've accumulated & been hiding 5k from my wife in her own closet lol. Slowly climbing my way back to Boost status. Soon, soon.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX

If opg failure is indeed caused by over reving more so than power then it must take a good amount of over reving abuse. (Or maybe ive been lucky) I've accidentally hit my 8k rev limiter more times than I'd like to admit. Now if I don't shift quite fast enough and I hit it, I shift immediately after so I'm not bouncing it like a jackass, but I have hit it.... a lot in the last 76k! 🤣

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
If opg failure is indeed caused by over reving more so than power then it must take a good amount of over reving abuse. (Or maybe ive been lucky) I've accidentally hit my 8k rev limiter more times than I'd like to admit. Now if I don't shift quite fast enough and I hit it, I shift immediately after so I'm not bouncing it like a jackass, but I have hit it.... a lot in the last 76k! 🤣
Haha I have hit the rev limiter a few times as well.

Honestly I don't know the exact cases that have caused opg failure. Some claim it is even a myth. I think if you are using 2-step you should definitely have upgraded opg. Just something everyone says, so I will continue to repeat, but I suggest everyone looks into it.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
go e85and get a smaller pulley
They just got rid of the last E85 pump for 50 miles from me. I spent 3 weeks dialing in my MAF to 1% went to the station that had real E85 and the pump was gone. Then I drove to the place that had flex fuel and that pump was also gone.

OP do what you want but if you want the baddest mustang around make it the baddest N/A car first. Then add a blower.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Honestly I don't know the exact cases that have caused opg failure. Some claim it is even a myth. I think if you are using 2-step you should definitely have upgraded opg.
The 2 step or riding the rev limiter seems to be the common denominator in the stock gear failures. The aftermarket gears I have seen gall and I would consider them to be a wear item at this point. Looks like FP quit making the performance gears.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
The 2 step or riding the rev limiter seems to be the common denominator in the stock gear failures. The aftermarket gears I have seen gall and I would consider them to be a wear item at this point. Looks like FP quit making the performance gears.
Ill pull mine out and check on them. They only have 10k miles on them.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd

i wonder if this is why ford went with a different design on the 2022 motors.