Sponsored

How well will Mach 1's hold their value?

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
New cars are not an investment unless it is low production and you park it. BUT, I was looking on cars.com and in CA used Mach 1's with under 10K miles are listed for MSRP. All of the new M1's are $5K over MSRP, as well as few and far between.

So, in the short term, if you wanted to sell right away, after the new car smell goes away. You might get most of your money back, if you didn't get scalped by ADM.
any race red HP w/ stick and otherwise loaded?
Sponsored

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
Lots of talk here about Ford putting the Tremec in the S650's and decreasing the value of the Mach 1's which could be very possible. I'd be more worried about whether there will even be a manual transmission S650 or even a V8 for that matter. With the way car companies are dropping the manuals (See the Corvette) I'm seriously thinking the Mach 1 may be the last/best 5.0 manual transmission Mustang made. Now what's that do to the resale value?
The only thing that would make me sell my s550 is if they introduce DCT into the s650. That would be a game changer for a city driving/daily driver.

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
I figure it all comes down to what happens in the s650. If they only offer some hybrid v8, or the manual goes away the Mach 1 becomes the last traditional mustang and a niche trim. I don't expect auto mach 1's to be considered that special. manual mach 1's might be sought as the transmission really is special. I ordered one because it might be my last chance at a manual v8.

LikeMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Interesting thread. Really nobody knows. For starters Mustangs overall hold their values well compared to other cars. It's really not up for debate if it will depreciate less than a GT. You can say it's the same car but then look closer and you'll see depreciation can be different by even a car's trim and color. There's enough evidence here that it won't depreciate as fast as a GT. However, those paying high ADMs will feel the pain.

What the real debate here is if it will depreciate less than a GT350.

So far the Mach 1 has the following going for it
1: Significantly more reliable. A late gen model coyote mustang is as reliable as you'll get. This is taken into depreciation for cars that are meant to be driven.

2: Significantly less production numbers. From what I hear a dealer here has already met their 2022 allocation, likely limited from all 2021 reorders, with the rest straight-up canceled.

3. Drivability, the car has a better low end torque than the Voodoo and is designed for daily and track use

4. Closer to the end of ICE V8s. TO be realistic there's probably less than 5-15 years for the V8 Mustang. I'd assume would be second-hand owners would want those that are newer and would increase demand for the Mach 1 more than it did when the 350 came out.

This isn't to say the Mach 1 will depreciate less than a GT350, it's more like it's not really as clear cut as a "super GT" vs "5.2L". The market dynamics is significantly different now than years ago.

Reactions: 12g

stageron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2559, Lexus NX300
Interesting thread. Really nobody knows. For starters Mustangs overall hold their values well compared to other cars. It's really not up for debate if it will depreciate less than a GT. You can say it's the same car but then look closer and you'll see depreciation can be different by even a car's trim and color. There's enough evidence here that it won't depreciate as fast as a GT. However, those paying high ADMs will feel the pain.

What the real debate here is if it will depreciate less than a GT350.

So far the Mach 1 has the following going for it
1: Significantly more reliable. A late gen model coyote mustang is as reliable as you'll get. This is taken into depreciation for cars that are meant to be driven.

2: Significantly less production numbers. From what I hear a dealer here has already met their 2022 allocation, likely limited from all 2021 reorders, with the rest straight-up canceled.

3. Drivability, the car has a better low end torque than the Voodoo and is designed for daily and track use

4. Closer to the end of ICE V8s. TO be realistic there's probably less than 5-15 years for the V8 Mustang. I'd assume would be second-hand owners would want those that are newer and would increase demand for the Mach 1 more than it did when the 350 came out.

This isn't to say the Mach 1 will depreciate less than a GT350, it's more like it's not really as clear cut as a "super GT" vs "5.2L". The market dynamics is significantly different now than years ago.
Do you really think V8 Mustangs will be around for another 5 - 15 years? I'm betting the V8 is gone in 2. I think it'll be replaced by a turbo 6. I give the manual transmission Mustang just a little bit longer than that. Maybe another 3-4 years. Just my opinion. Also the reason I jumped on The Mach 1. I'm afraid of what the future holds for these cars.

Sponsored

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
Do you really think V8 Mustangs will be around for another 5 - 15 years? I'm betting the V8 is gone in 2. I think it'll be replaced by a turbo 6. I give the manual transmission Mustang just a little bit longer than that. Maybe another 3-4 years. Just my opinion. Also the reason I jumped on The Mach 1. I'm afraid of what the future holds for these cars.
I'm guessing 8 years/the life of the S650 but who knows. I'm too lazy to find all my sources but it will obviously be around through 2022, and I've read multiple interviews where it was mentioned it would be part of '23. If that's the case, you can bet it would be there through '24 as Ford does not release single year models.

The real question will be, does Ford release any special editions aside from the inevtible 2023 S650 GT. My personal guess is that there will be a Shelby/Boss/Cobra V8 in 2024, and Ford will hype the ever living shit out of it as the last V8/MT car for the line.

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
I think the boss 302 is a fair comparison, although admittedly I don’t know the production numbers of that car. Like you mentioned the production issues this year are going to have a huge effect down the road as there was a level of demand that was not met and simply a lower number of cars produced keeping them more rare than they otherwise would have been. I think to a lot of buyers the gt350 will always be worth more than a Mach 1 even before you factor in performance. But the Mach 1 should have a pretty good following as well. I don’t put too much stock in gt350 values at the moment because all used values are inflated. Let’s see when things return to a more normal market what happens with them. Their value if I remember correctly had dropped as expected then skyrocketed in the last year. There really isn’t a reason for that anymore than all of the other vehicle prices that have reached crazy levels. Another thing and this is not meant as a shot at the gt350 but let’s see what happens to their values as they all come out of warranty and new owners are faced with the possibility of having to replace an engine out of pocket. That would keep me from owning one in the future.
As a 2019 GT350 owner I won't have any problem as eventually I'll have an extended warranty.
Continuing the same process as I did previously with my 2016 Corvette C7 Z06 that I strill enjoy immensely. With over 700hp it's always a thrill to drive, just like enjoying the engine sound from my 2019 GT350.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
Just curious asking. Is the allocation fixed per year could dealers add more orders during the year later? I believe there was a lot of customer orders during this year.

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
I am curious as to why.

I was seriously considering a DB9 because of the city civility from a torque converter and have avoided nearly every DCT aside from Porsche that was a nightmare of multiple trips to mutlple dealers to diagnose and failing pump.
IMO driving a DCT in manual mode is a lot better than the 10 speed auto with paddles. The downshifts a way crispier, and better for spirited drives. If you are just going to drive in D, there probably isn’t much of a difference.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I'm pretty sure the Mach 1 cars will hold their value very well!!
IF!!!!!!!,.............you don't register it and just leave it in the garage for 15-20 years with zero miles.

Sponsored

Nope

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Lots of talk here about Ford putting the Tremec in the S650's and decreasing the value of the Mach 1's which could be very possible. I'd be more worried about whether there will even be a manual transmission S650 or even a V8 for that matter. With the way car companies are dropping the manuals (See the Corvette) I'm seriously thinking the Mach 1 may be the last/best 5.0 manual transmission Mustang made. Now what's that do to the resale value?
How do we feel about it now after the announcement. I'm still planning on keeping my Mach 1 or trading it in whenever my Bronco order goes into production.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
After seeing the Dark Horse reveal, I am even happier with my car.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
The Dark Horse is awesome, you trippin

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
The Dark Horse is awesome, you trippin
Sorry dude, agree to disagree. Just can't make myself like the S650 body style, and the DH is just my car in a body style I don't like.

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
unfortunately, I think the S650s will hurt M1 values a bit. Full disclaimer I have ZERO interest in replacing my Mach 1 with any S650 variation.

I have always taken the position that if the M1 was the last hurrah on pure ICE non Shelby V8 Mustangs, that would help it holds it value. With the S650 not only being offered as pure ICE models, but with a revised Gen 4 Coyote V8, that is projected to make even more power will hurt us.

The exclusivity of the Tremec was also supposed to help the Mach 1, but the Dark Horse can be equipped with that transmission as well.

If the track performance of the Dark horse exceeds that of Mach 1, then it will be a further pull down on the M1's value. Mach 1 would no longer be "the most capable Coyote V8 powered Mustang" Lets wait and see on this point though. I fully expect the Dark Horse will exceed M1 on track measurables, and the magazines and media will make a bit deal about it even though in the real world virtually nobody outside the Randy Probst types would even benefit from it. Such is the case with incremental performance improvement, media typically hypes it up more than realities justify it.

On the other hand, if Dark Horse and S650 are priced too expensively, or just don't sell as well as Mach 1s did, this might outweigh everything I just said.

Its a tough thing to predict, and when you ask about resale, you have to determine the time frame we are talking about. What exactly are we saying in 5, 10, 20 years what will Mach 1s go for....? This is very hard to determine, governments globally are attacking ICE vehicles, especially V8s with gusto through various methods. Everything from outrageous registration fees, fuel taxes, emissions taxes, and outright bans. So as the "affordable" V8s are killed off by manufactures (this is purely because of regulation, not natural market choices by consumers) its hard to determine what that market will be like.

We also must remember this will not be the same market and collectors situation we saw coming out of the classic muscle car era. I argue modern cars, will never be as "collectable" as the classics. Those mechanical cars could be fixed, and tuned much more easily than modern computer controlled cars. The big devil in the details with the modern cars is emissions control. In most smog check jurisdictions, if you have a CEL on, regardless if that is actually raising your tail pipe emissions, that is an automatic fail, preventing you from getting smog clearance and registering the car. It can costs hundreds just figuring out what the problem is let alone to actually fix the damn things.

My wife had to give up a beautifully running 2004 Chrysler 300M because of this scheme, even though the actually tail pipe emissions was LOWER than the max values, CARB doesn't care. It is a scheme, the entire aim is to get gas vehicles off the road. You are put in a conundrum spend more money on the car than it is worth to track down a CEL problem, or give up the car because you can't register it and legally use it on the roads. In some cases guys have spent hundreds changing sensors to try and clear smog but the computer gets stuck in open loop, and therefore ineligible to test, even after hundreds of miles and now likely expired tags, another dead end for the owner. CARB already passed regulations that force SMOG check locations to provide 24 hour open access to their own test equipment and databases and will require biometric data of the inspector to be submitted for each test, including a webcam. This is an effort to crack down on inspectors who will pass failed cars under the table for extra money. Sounds dystopian and don't believe me check this out? CARB is the model many other jurisdictions follow, this is coming to a neighborhood near you in no time believe me.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/arsc/newslet...og-check-security-enhancements-in-development
Sponsored