OP

Guzman_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6 speed
I used to put the old neon tubes on everything when I was young too. Hadn't done it to a car in a long time but my daughter loves all the lit up cars at car shows (and so do I) so I told myself I'd do it again to the mustang. I just made sure it was boosted first before I moved on to any ricey mods. I have to say the mustang looks way better lit up than most old cars I did it too. Especially the intercooler glowing through the grill.
I love how my car looks with it but i think the kit I have is damaging the battery. I’m going to look into a portable power supply for it so as to not wire straight into the cars battery
Sponsored

OP
OP

Guzman_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6 speed
So with everything comes pros and cons. And you have to decide if its worth it for you.

nitrous in my opinion is great for race application or maybe if you do a lot of street racing. But if you are going to ride around with something that is illegal and highly flammable only to use once in a while to me its not worth it. Plus your car will always feel slow without it.
So what would you recommend? I really don’t want to spend 7-10k to boost my car just to not be able to drive it comfortably with my kid in the car or not be able to put the power to the ground w/o drag slicks in the back. I know I have to work on the suspension a lot more so what has worked for you guys? Im still on stock suspension and no magnaride

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
So what would you recommend? I really don’t want to spend 7-10k to boost my car just to not be able to drive it comfortably with my kid in the car or not be able to put the power to the ground w/o drag slicks in the back. I know I have to work on the suspension a lot more so what has worked for you guys? Im still on stock suspension and no magnaride
In terms of staying naturally aspirated and reliable I think you are pretty much done.

At the current setup you are already faster than any stock non boosted mustang, camaro or dodge product. Only reason why you would lose in a race is because of the manual.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
The kid in me that grew up playing Need for Speed Underground is kinda happy that underglow is making a come back.
Would I put it on my car? Hell no, but makes me smile when I see it.

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I love how my car looks with it but i think the kit I have is damaging the battery. I’m going to look into a portable power supply for it so as to not wire straight into the cars battery
Why do you think it's damaging the battery?

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
So with everything comes pros and cons. And you have to decide if its worth it for you.

nitrous in my opinion is great for race application or maybe if you do a lot of street racing. But if you are going to ride around with something that is illegal and highly flammable only to use once in a while to me its not worth it. Plus your car will always feel slow without it.
hahahaha. not illegal and definitely not highly flammable. do you know anything about nitrous? you probably think that the fast and furious had it right that the car will blow up and come flying off the ground from the power of the explosion from nitrous. haha nitrous isn't even a little flammable. do some reading.

Last edited:

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
nitrous will not explode and does not make any extra power. the power is from being able to burn more fuel because you have more oxygen molecules. nitrous is non flammable

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I installed true original Neon tubes in 1991 on my mothers 1990 Geo Storm....

Not a hater, but that time has come and gone for me. :)
I put my mothers old table lamp under my car but for some reason I didn’t see what the excitement was all about. Maybe I should put a black light bulb in it.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
hahahaha. not illegal and definitely not highly flammable. do you know anything about nitrous? you probably think that the fast and furious had it right that the car will blow up and come flying off the ground from the power of the explosion from nitrous. haha nitrous isn't even a little flammable. do some reading.
I always thought the law with nitrous was kind of grey area and state by state. Yes, I stand corrected its not flammable.

I guess the only real downsize is that your car will feel slow when you are not on the juice. Which is why I have never gave it any interest.

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I always thought the law with nitrous was kind of grey area and state by state. Yes, I stand corrected its not flammable.

I guess the only real downsize is that your car will feel slow when you are not on the juice. Which is why I have never gave it any interest.
nitrous is legal to have in most states some states (california) it can not be in a state of ready. meaning if you can activate it then it's illegal. you can have it for use at the track. also it must be stored and transported correctly. to be fair in california it's illegal to add anything without a e.o number

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
The low hanging fruit for minor bolt ons would be to port the throttle body and intake manifold. Won't affect drivability and should be good for a small gain.

The next thing is weight reduction. I know you have aftermarket 20" wheels, but make sure they are light (I didn't look up the specs. on them). Reducing rotating unsprung mass makes a difference in acceleration. Some SVE 19" wheels are 23-24 pounds, which is pretty decent, esp. compared to the factory PP1 wheels. You can also save weight by replacing the rotors with Baer Eradispeed or Girodisc aftermarket rotors. Other ideas: Remove the engine cover (it weighs 4.5 lbs). Don't fill your tank up past 3/4 full (gas weighs 6.3 lbs per gallon).

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
There's a lot of "Ok" advice on this thread but let's go back to basics. Why are you so against boost? Even if your only building a show car boost will make you faster than most and look good under the hood for the shows. I run twins on my gt at low boost, smoke most cars (everything that has tried to F with me so far since boost) Plus DDs great and gets my daughter and me wherever we may need to go. FYI, my suspension is stock pp1 with 74k miles on it. Only upgrades are new bilstein rear shocks and steeda braces. And my car rocks cocomelon and kids bop on the regular...

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
The low hanging fruit for minor bolt ons would be to port the throttle body and intake manifold. Won't affect drivability and should be good for a small gain.

The next thing is weight reduction. I know you have aftermarket 20" wheels, but make sure they are light (I didn't look up the specs. on them). Reducing rotating unsprung mass makes a difference in acceleration. Some SVE 19" wheels are 23-24 pounds, which is pretty decent, esp. compared to the factory PP1 wheels. You can also save weight by replacing the rotors with Baer Eradispeed or Girodisc aftermarket rotors. Other ideas: Remove the engine cover (it weighs 4.5 lbs). Don't fill your tank up past 3/4 full (gas weighs 6.3 lbs per gallon).
If I recall the pp1 wheels are around 33lbs lol. You could go wider and lighter with something like the p51 and they are 21-22 lbs. Light weight drive shaft also will reduce parasitic hp loss to the wheels.

OP
OP

Guzman_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6 speed
Why do you think it's damaging the battery?
voltage when driving drops to 13V and then somehow jumps to 16V out of nowhere. I noticed it when I did a log with my Edge insight. Never did this before putting in the underglow which is weird and now my underglow won't turn on at all. Switch that indicates that the kit has power is on but when i hit the switch nothing turns on. Checked all the strips for damage and found nothing. Checked both the relay and fuse that's between the pos/neg wires leading to the battery and they check out fine. Going to try charging the battery on the charger tonight and see if that does anything.
Sponsored