Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
was someone holding the brake? that hub is going to keep moving
I replaced both Front wheel bearings, both were shot. No brake required

My car according to carfax, had the whole rear end, axles, hubs etc, replaced last year by ford. So those will be good for a while. The only IRS car i worked on before was a boss's vette, and i hardly remember wtf the issue was but i think it was rear wheel bearings/hub bearings.
Sponsored

japont4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Axle nut is 254 (IIRC) and lugs are 150 ft lb

Fortunately i have a buddy who had done a bunch of work to his truck and had bought a nice LONG digital tq wrench. Im a 6'2 210 lb guy and I pretty much dropped my weight on it, to get the "click"
Looks like I'm gonna need some help with that axle nut haha. 5'9" and 180lbs or just a long tube to get some mechanical help.
I'll have to find a torque wrench that goes that high as well.

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Looks like I'm gonna need some help with that axle nut haha. 5'9" and 180lbs or just a long tube to get some mechanical help.
I'll have to find a torque wrench that goes that high as well.
I had a long 1/2 breaker bar and the upper part of my floor jack handle, came apart easy. I wouldve got after it with my 1/2 impact, but it was about 0530 on a saturday and figured the neighbors wouldnt be a fan of that lol

I will note this: If you watch youtube vids, all the ones i saw were absolute BUTCHERS. I saw one actually hitting the brake disc with a steel hammer. None of that is necessary. You can try a rubber mallet for the hell of it, but thats not needed.

Take your caliper off, undo the axle nut, pull hub, drop wheel stud down on the floor, disc comes right off. When everything goes back together, brake CLEAN EVERYTHING. Some plumbers emery cloth on the axle (lightly) then brake clean with SHOP paper towels (the blue ones lint free) slide the new one on, get a new factory bolt, and check it in the diameter of the hub PRIOR to disassembly, because they most likely gave you the wrong one. If that is the case get the right one, or if you were in my position and didnt check, blue loctite, which is how ive always done them anyway. Slide hub on, torque the nut, clean disc ( you are wearing 9m gloves right?) put disc on spray it down again, wipe all sides with brake clean and blue shop towels. Put caliper back on, inspect your brakes, clean the caliper and all the funk you can while youre there. tire, torque lugs and done.... Time for a camel and coffee, or camel and bourbon, your choice.

Last edited:

japont4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just fixed the wheel hub. To my surprise, it was the right wheel bearing that was bad. Left one was intact
2BF52ADB-937A-423E-899C-EC8FC8C9ADD8.jpeg

That cap I’m holding is supposed to be sealing the bearing and isn’t supposed to come out. It was just sitting there when I took the axle nut.

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Just fixed the wheel hub. To my surprise, it was the right wheel bearing that was bad. Left one was intact
2BF52ADB-937A-423E-899C-EC8FC8C9ADD8.jpeg

That cap I’m holding is supposed to be sealing the bearing and isn’t supposed to come out. It was just sitting there when I took the axle nut.
That is trashed. Lucky it didn't fall apart going down the road

Sponsored

japont4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Well, I am sad to announce that this was not the true issue. The problem indeed was the headers hitting the steering column.
To make it worse, I made some suspension changes and got better tires, now it rubs turning left too if I'm doing a pretty hard turn. So the next solution is to make a dimple on the driver side header to get better clearance and then shift the engine left in order to get some clearance for the passenger side header and the frame.

I don't want to get aftermarket engine mounts since those will add a lot of NVH that I am not willing to live with.

I don't know if the heat from the LTH affected the rubber in the OEM motor mounts or if the suspension mods along with new tires helped me find this problem but.. hopefully I can find a fix that doesn't involve new headers or extra NVH.

OP
OP
hamzah596

hamzah596

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hamza
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I am sad to announce that this was not the true issue. The problem indeed was the headers hitting the steering column.
To make it worse, I made some suspension changes and got better tires, now it rubs turning left too if I'm doing a pretty hard turn. So the next solution is to make a dimple on the driver side header to get better clearance and then shift the engine left in order to get some clearance for the passenger side header and the frame.

I don't want to get aftermarket engine mounts since those will add a lot of NVH that I am not willing to live with.

I don't know if the heat from the LTH affected the rubber in the OEM motor mounts or if the suspension mods along with new tires helped me find this problem but.. hopefully I can find a fix that doesn't involve new headers or extra NVH.

I was going to replace the bearing but I have been busy and have not touched the car. drove it yesterday and it was horrible. I really think its the headers so I am going to take it to a shop and see what they can do. I did the BMR motor brackets and they did not help either. They did not add NVH tho and dropped the motor pretty nicely

OP
OP
hamzah596

hamzah596

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hamza
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase

did you feel the noise in the steering wheel or the other side of the car? my noise is coming from the passenger side. I am thinking if it was hitting my steering shaft i would feel it in my hands. my passenger feels the vibrations on the floor

japont4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
did you feel the noise in the steering wheel or the other side of the car? my noise is coming from the passenger side. I am thinking if it was hitting my steering shaft i would feel it in my hands. my passenger feels the vibrations on the floor
Now that you're asking that, yeah. I did feel that before but now I dont. I guess it really was a combination of both. I can't remember where exactly the noise came from but I do remember feeling it in the pedals and I leaned towards replacing bearings because of that.

What I feel now I can definitely feel in the steering column, and when I've been down there I have seen some small marks on it from rubbing. I would look into the bearings then. I know I for sure had to change mine out.

As far as the engine mounts go. I don't see how lowering the engine mounts will help though. This would technically make the engine sit lower and be closer to my steering shaft. the only benefit would be less sway from side to side.

OP
OP
hamzah596

hamzah596

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hamza
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Now that you're asking that, yeah. I did feel that before but now I dont. I guess it really was a combination of both. I can't remember where exactly the noise came from but I do remember feeling it in the pedals and I leaned towards replacing bearings because of that.

What I feel now I can definitely feel in the steering column, and when I've been down there I have seen some small marks on it from rubbing. I would look into the bearings then. I know I for sure had to change mine out.

As far as the engine mounts go. I don't see how lowering the engine mounts will help though. This would technically make the engine sit lower and be closer to my steering shaft. the only benefit would be less sway from side to side.
Gotcha. I’m taking the car tomorrow. Will let you know
Sponsored