Sponsored

Vibration/Humming at Highway Speeds After New Suspension Install/Alignment

sjmurphy34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP Magnetic
Hello all,

I recently purchased and installed some new suspension components based on a lot of the recommendations and reviews I've seen in these forums.I decided to go with FRPP track shock and strut kit with BMR SP083 springs along with BMR CB005 and the Ford performance knuckle to toe bushing. I don't have any other suspension mods other than that.

The basics of my car are:
'17 GT PP with aprox 6500 miles
MGW shifter
SVE 19x10 wheels with 285/35/19 PS4s Square
Ford performance power pack 2
Roush axle back exhaust
(new) Ford performance track shock and strut kit
(new) Ford performance knuckle to toe bushing
(new) BMR SP083 springs
(new) BMR CB005

So the problem that I'm having is that as vehicle speed increases there is an audible humming/vibration that can be felt and as I get up toward 70/80 it gets pretty bad. I've uploaded a video on youtube that you can hear the noise here (might need headphones): I can't tell exactly where the noise is coming from unfortunately so it's really tough for me to pinpoint the problem corner of the vehicle. I've gone through and made sure everything is torqued down properly and clocked the bushings with the vehicle on the ground and even swapped out my wheels back to the original PP wheels and tires just in case it was one of the wheels got out of balance or something. None of that seems to help though. It kind of sounds like a wheel bearing issue but I wouldn't think I would see that problem with only 6500 miles and no track use yet, but maybe that is the problem.

I've attached the alignment sheet here: (https://imgur.com/a/MNUQqky) and hereis a link for what I told them to use. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachments/street-handling-bmr-kelly-jpg.292116/ They aren't all spot on unfortunately as they said they got it as close as they could. I was thinking about taking it somewhere else to see if they could dial it in better however I'm not sure if it would fix this issue I'm seeing. The obvious differences from recommended are the front camber is a bit off however the toe and caster are both pretty good. Also, the toe in the rear should be higher. Would either of these be enough to cause an issue like this?

Was hoping to see what you guys thought as there are a lot of smart and experienced members on this forum that are extremely helpful as I'm out of ideas. Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
sjmurphy34

sjmurphy34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP Magnetic
Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate it. I will definitely look at the cb005 install and possible loosen and retighten that to make sure nothing seems off. Maybe even potentially remove it since I want to get it realigned anyways to see if that will fix it.

I'm definitely not ruling out wheel bearings though like you said. The only thing is that when lifted or on the ground the wheels have basically 0 play in them when you push/pull them when I'd expect a bad bearing to have a lot more play. Still definitely a possibility though. Will look into that after.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure the brake rotor dust guards didn’t get bent slightly and rub. That make make anywhere from a mild grinding noise to wake-the-dead howling. 2sec to bend them back if thats the case. Its easy to accidentally tweak those slightly when you’re working on the car.

they shouldn’t cause vibration tho, thats usually a wheel balance issue or somethings loose.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
sjmurphy34

sjmurphy34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP Magnetic
So finally traced down the issue. Turns out it was the rear driver side wheel bearing that needed to be replaced. It's weird, after taking it off it was still hard to feel any issues in it when spinning it but we hooked up electronic ears to it and it was immediately obvious that it was the problem when it was still on the car. It was just very ironic that the issue never existed until after the suspension install.

So for anyone experiencing similar issues in the future, it's probably one of your rear wheel bearings. Mine went bad at 6500 miles and it sounds like they are known to go at any time on these cars.

Thank you everyone for your help in diagnosing and fixing this!
Sponsored