Sponsored

Ecoboost 10r80 harsh up shifts and downshifts

Twi5ter.0range

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
First let me start by saying that this transmission is a piece of crap. It shifts like a faster manual transmission, it jolts me everytime it up shifts and downshifts. it’s not a really rough jolt but you can definitely feel it. Started having issues with it about 2-3 thousand miles from buying it around 16500 miles. So I took it in to the dealership and they reprogrammed it and told me that would fix it. Of course it didn’t so I took it back and they verified it was doing the same thing which was harsh engagements and delayed up shifts and downshifts. Then they did an overhaul on the valve body and told me that should fix it. and of course it didn’t. Now i’m stuck and idk what to do. All they did was just follow TSB’s but the problem still exists. it’s a 2019 with 21k miles. Got another appointment at the dealership but I know there’s people on here that has gone through the same thing so I would like opinions or what they did to fix your 10r80. About a week ago I noticed that it shifts from 4-6 sometimes, i know that it skips gears and stuff but from 4-6 that’s never happened before. Before it would go from 1-3 then 3-5 then 6,7,8 and so on. and i’m sure y’all know but when it’s going through the “learning cycle” it feels like complete crap it’s so stupid.
Sponsored

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
If you're using Sport+ mode I believe that's normal. Even more pronounced in Track/Drag mode. I find in normal mode (or even more so Snow/Wet mode) the car shifts like butter. Sport+ and it's harsh. I've also heard some ship with low trans fluid so maybe something to get them to check. It's a pain in the ass to check yourself.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
First let me start by saying that this transmission is a piece of crap. It shifts like a faster manual transmission, it jolts me everytime it up shifts and downshifts. it’s not a really rough jolt but you can definitely feel it. Started having issues with it about 2-3 thousand miles from buying it around 16500 miles. So I took it in to the dealership and they reprogrammed it and told me that would fix it. Of course it didn’t so I took it back and they verified it was doing the same thing which was harsh engagements and delayed up shifts and downshifts. Then they did an overhaul on the valve body and told me that should fix it. and of course it didn’t. Now i’m stuck and idk what to do. All they did was just follow TSB’s but the problem still exists. it’s a 2019 with 21k miles. Got another appointment at the dealership but I know there’s people on here that has gone through the same thing so I would like opinions or what they did to fix your 10r80. About a week ago I noticed that it shifts from 4-6 sometimes, i know that it skips gears and stuff but from 4-6 that’s never happened before. Before it would go from 1-3 then 3-5 then 6,7,8 and so on. and i’m sure y’all know but when it’s going through the “learning cycle” it feels like complete crap it’s so stupid.
Here is the main 10R80 thread:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tions-to-harsh-or-no-shift-conditions.135463/

First recommendation if it has not already been done:
Check the fluid level and be sure to do it as outlined in the links provided in the main link above. Many M6G members have found their 10R80's to be low on fluid.

Next, read the last and most current TSB provided in the TSB/SSM link, also in that main link above. The most recent TSB is out there and if the trans is shifting harsh, it may need a valve body replacement and software update per the TSB.

Read up on the Trans Modes vs. Drive Modes (also in that main link). Trans Mode S will always have firmer shifts than "D". Drive Mode for Track/Drag Racing is just that - it's not a mode to be driving around daily, it's made for track use and will have the harshest/firmest shifts of all. Drive Mode S* will also have firmer shifts too. There's a difference between Trans Mode (via the Trans shift selector) and the Drive Modes (switches on Center Stack).

The main thread supplied has A LOT of info on the first Post, Page 1 - and ALOT of info posted by users that is beneficial too.

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I had that delay in shifting myself. My delays between shifts were so long, I thought that transmission was slipping. I to had the software update and valve body rebuilt. It fixed my problem. It shifts smooth but firm in all modes.

Do you know if they erased your KAM? If not that may have something to do with it.

Richard

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
this transmission is a piece of crap. It shifts like a faster manual transmission
ahem, those of us who know how to properly use a clutch pedal can shift way smoother than the suck-ass Mustang A10. :)

once you go thru the other threads and steps with no joy (don't be afraid to go to a different dealer) your only remaining solution is the F150 transmission tune. Except you can't actually get that AFAIK (but it might be worth asking anyway), and so you'll have to get an aftermarket trans tune.

If nothing else ask a tuner if he can dump the Mustang trans parameters out into a spreadsheet and do the same on an F150 and compare them. The F150 A10 (when not overheated) works beautifully. I've driven 6 different Mustang A10 (v8 and eco, new and used) and they all sucked royally.

Sponsored

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
I have the same problem without the upshift issue.

Have you tried looking at your transmission temps? Are they too cool or too hot? In the winter my temps stayed below 100F and it was truly terrible shifting. Lately, its been very warm for this time of year and the transmission is behaving BETTER, but still not great. The highest I have ever seen mine was 170 with very hard running. Ambient temp seems to play a greater role than actual trans temp in my case.

Taking mine to ANOTHER Ford dealer later this week. Ford, and their associated dealers in the St. Louis area seem to not care about how poorly these transmissions shift. I am also very unhappy with all of it.

Without a doubt, the 10R80 is the worst transmission I have ever used.

OP
OP
Twi5ter.0range

Twi5ter.0range

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
If you're using Sport+ mode I believe that's normal. Even more pronounced in Track/Drag mode. I find in normal mode (or even more so Snow/Wet mode) the car shifts like butter. Sport+ and it's harsh. I've also heard some ship with low trans fluid so maybe something to get them to check. It's a pain in the ass to check yourself.
It’s only on normal mode. i don’t daily drive the car in sport, just normal. when it’s in sport it shifts quicker but still harsh which is normal. like there’s no delay to shift in sport mode but on normal it sucks.

OP
OP
Twi5ter.0range

Twi5ter.0range

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Here is the main 10R80 thread:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tions-to-harsh-or-no-shift-conditions.135463/

First recommendation if it has not already been done:
Check the fluid level and be sure to do it as outlined in the links provided in the main link above. Many M6G members have found their 10R80's to be low on fluid.

Next, read the last and most current TSB provided in the TSB/SSM link, also in that main link above. The most recent TSB is out there and if the trans is shifting harsh, it may need a valve body replacement and software update per the TSB.

Read up on the Trans Modes vs. Drive Modes (also in that main link). Trans Mode S will always have firmer shifts than "D". Drive Mode for Track/Drag Racing is just that - it's not a mode to be driving around daily, it's made for track use and will have the harshest/firmest shifts of all. Drive Mode S* will also have firmer shifts too. There's a difference between Trans Mode (via the Trans shift selector) and the Drive Modes (switches on Center Stack).

The main thread supplied has A LOT of info on the first Post, Page 1 - and ALOT of info posted by users that is beneficial too.
Yeah i’m thinking they might have to replace the whole valve body. they shoulda done that in the beginning but I get they have to follow tsb’s and crap. as far as the fluid level i havent checked it myself but i asked them to check it the second time I brought it in it idk if they did or not. I had seen the low transmission fluid out of the factory forums on here

OP
OP
Twi5ter.0range

Twi5ter.0range

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I had that delay in shifting myself. My delays between shifts were so long, I thought that transmission was slipping. I to had the software update and valve body rebuilt. It fixed my problem. It shifts smooth but firm in all modes.

Do you know if they erased your KAM? If not that may have something to do with it.

Richard
at times it literally feels like it’s slipping. idk if they erased the KAM

OP
OP
Twi5ter.0range

Twi5ter.0range

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
ahem, those of us who know how to properly use a clutch pedal can shift way smoother than the suck-ass Mustang A10. :)

once you go thru the other threads and steps with no joy (don't be afraid to go to a different dealer) your only remaining solution is the F150 transmission tune. Except you can't actually get that AFAIK (but it might be worth asking anyway), and so you'll have to get an aftermarket trans tune.

If nothing else ask a tuner if he can dump the Mustang trans parameters out into a spreadsheet and do the same on an F150 and compare them. The F150 A10 (when not overheated) works beautifully. I've driven 6 different Mustang A10 (v8 and eco, new and used) and they all sucked royally.
only thing i’m missing is a third pedal. it already feels like a manual. I get the best of both worlds lol

Sponsored
OP
OP
Twi5ter.0range

Twi5ter.0range

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I have the same problem without the upshift issue.

Have you tried looking at your transmission temps? Are they too cool or too hot? In the winter my temps stayed below 100F and it was truly terrible shifting. Lately, its been very warm for this time of year and the transmission is behaving BETTER, but still not great. The highest I have ever seen mine was 170 with very hard running. Ambient temp seems to play a greater role than actual trans temp in my case.

Taking mine to ANOTHER Ford dealer later this week. Ford, and their associated dealers in the St. Louis area seem to not care about how poorly these transmissions shift. I am also very unhappy with all of it.

Without a doubt, the 10R80 is the worst transmission I have ever used.
I always keep an eye on the transmission fluid. during the winter it would take like 40 mins of normal driving for it to even reach 150f. highest i’ve gotten it was actually 2 days ago at 190f cruising at 85-90 mph but didn’t go up a hair more than that. wether it’s less than 100f ( i have the digital dash and u can’t see the exact number less than 100f) or over 170, it still shifts like crap. and I do agree ambient temp plays a big factor because it warms up wayyy quicker when it’s 80-90f outside

OP
OP
Twi5ter.0range

Twi5ter.0range

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
got off the phone with a ford customer service rep and they want me to drop the car off and have a technician at the dealer diagnose it again. then send out a senior tech to check it out. currently in line for transmission work because 2 of their transmission techs quit out of no where

OP
OP
Twi5ter.0range

Twi5ter.0range

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
what I don’t understand is why it shifted from 4-6 the other day. that had never happened before. it’s usually 1-3,3-5 then one by one from there. has anyone else seen theirs shift from 4-6?
Sponsored