Sponsored

Harsh Engagement: '18 EcoBoost PP 10R80 10 Spd Transmission - My Experience So Far

Jw1294

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang Ecoboost PP
Hello All,

I wanted to share an experience I am having with the 10R80 10 speed auto in the hopes of perhaps helping others if they are having similar issues, but also to ask for some advice on where to go from here. I'll start at the beginning.

My Ecoboost is an '18 performance package, completely stock with around 8,500 miles on the odometer. I live in North Central Florida (Gainesville) -- fairly mild climate in the fall to winter months. The car isn't driven too aggressively. It's never absolutely thrashed -- any spirited driving occurs well after the vehicle has been warmed up, and absolutely no engine lugging, etc. I try to be very cautious with the car in general.

Unfortunately I've noticed some occasions where the car has some harsh engagements into reverse from park. Below are some details of the characteristics of the engagements:
  1. It's never when the car/transmission are completely cold. The issue has never been experienced when starting the car for the first time that day.
  2. The harsh engagement is typically after the car has been driven. For instance, my commute to work is about 15-25 minutes in the morning. I arrive to work around 8:10 -- I go to lunch around 12:30-1. When I start the car (approximately 4-5 hours after the car was last driven) I experience the harsh engagement. This happened in exactly this instance for at least three consecutive days in a row one week at work.
  3. The engagement themselves are very harsh in such a way that the engagement jolts the entire car with a rather heavy, low-pitched thunk.
  4. This harshness seemingly occurs from park to reverse and not from reverse to drive.
Now for my experience with my local Ford Service Department :

After doing some research, it appears that others have had similar issues with various fixes. Some owners have had this problem resolved with a software update, others with a valve body replacement. I took my car into Ford, and they were able to confirm the harsh engagement (thankfully), but their transmission tech wasn't able to quickly confirm why it was occurring after doing the basics (checking software, etc.) and already had several other vehicles he was working on so I was scheduled a couple days later to drop the car off for further investigation. After I dropped my car off, they kept it overnight (11/25/19) and called me the next day stating that they had to speak with Ford Engineering to determine what the problem was and apparently they traced it to a faulty solenoid in the transmission. They then stated the part was on back order and would call me to schedule the replacement when they get it in. They confirmed to me that my car was OK to drive in the meantime while I wait for the part to come in.

Here we are about a month later and the part still isn't in. I've called a couple of times since to check in with them to try to keep this from slipping through the cracks. The dealer I am working with is high volume, and I don't have much faith that they're going to offer me high level customer service and see to it that this gets fixed. I don't really like the fact that I am driving around with a wounded transmission and it's only a matter of time before this situation gets worse.

I've never dealt with a situation like this before with a car, so I don't feel well equipped to deal with it.

My questions:
  1. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation? Is it normal to be on back order for a part like this for a month or longer?
  2. What can I do, if anything, to bring this closer to a resolution? Is contacting Ford directly a worthwhile venture?
I plan to keep calling once a week or so to check in, but I just don't know if there is anything more I can do. If anyone has any recommendations, I am very happy to hear them!

Thanks much all.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Call the Ford 800#. Explain the entire situation as you have outlined here. You will get assigned a Regional Ford CSR and will get a Case number. That Case number elevates priority to your vehicle and situation. That gets back to the Dealership and they have to maintain contact with Ford until the problem is resolved and the Customer is satisfied.

That’s the ONLY way to getting resolution and documenting the issues you are experiencing,

Here ya go:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/the-ford-800-info-for-those-needing-it.111571/

OP
OP

Jw1294

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
Call the Ford 800#. Explain the entire situation as you have outlined here. You will get assigned a Regional Ford CSR and will get a Case number. That Case number elevates priority to your vehicle and situation. That gets back to the Dealership and they have to maintain contact with Ford until the problem is resolved and the Customer is satisfied.

That’s the ONLY way to getting resolution and documenting the issues you are experiencing,

Here ya go:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/the-ford-800-info-for-those-needing-it.111571/
Excellent, thanks for the insight! I'll give them a call tomorrow.

OP
OP

Jw1294

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
Update: Ford states that there is an engineering problem with the solenoid and until it’s fixed, the part won’t be available. Ford has not offered an ETA.

I filed a case with Ford Customer Service but it’s been more of a formality than anything else. They haven’t been able to help in any way so far.

it’s been two months since this was diagnosed on my car and I am still driving it daily as I have no choice. The problem still happens intermittently.

I’m honestly out of ideas, and not sure how to proceed. The car has less than 10k miles. Very frustrated owner and not quite the experience I was hoping for.
Sponsored