Sponsored

If everything is fast and agile, will sports car exist? Will performance get limited?

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
In the next generation ICE cars will be banned from all public roadways. The cost to own/maintain an EV vehicle will increase as the world struggles with limited resources needed to manufacture batteries and components. Vehicles will be semi-fully self driving and limited to posted speed limits, acceleration profiles etc. Modified vehicles will be banned from roadways automatically through checksum checks. All the technology exists today and you can see government regulation slowly moving in that direction. The automakers won't care if they sell 100 ICE cars to 100 customers for 100k each or if they sell 10 EV cars to 1 customer (Uberlike) for 1mi each.
That's quite a dystopian future you're painting there. Can I borrow your crystal ball? I have a few stocks I want to research 🤣
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
If they couldn't afford that $47K new car, they'd buy a cheaper used car.
Hello; What i have been seeing is used car prices are up more than new car prices. I do not see an out for less well to do. May be like the cash for clunkers some years ago. The destruction of old but still functioning vehicles created a shortage of affordable vehicles and put a lot of poorer folks into a bind. They had a hard time.
That the cash for clunkers was done at very great cost to the taxpayer is also a part of todays issues. The deficit spending does not become history. National debt driven up ten, twenty, thirty and more years ago has not gone away. The debt on the books from that poorly considered policy is still on the books. We have not and do not pay down one penny of the national debt year over year. The trillions keep accumulating.

Here is another twist to come. The Fed needs to increase the interest rate to slow inflation. But increasing the rates means adding billions to the interest payments we make on that 30+ trillion national debt. Those extra billions in interest payments have to come out of the budget further reducing monies available to build up a new infrastructure.

I got a notice in the mail yesterday that my property has been appraised at over $30,000 more value. What that will mean for me is higher property taxes next fall.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Yet all I hear is you making assumptions about my knowledge, instead of being productive or useful to the conversation in any way.

My obvious point was that steps and solutions are being investigated to address future and current concerns and your whole argument is "it costs money"(yeah no fucking shit) and that I mistyped a word.

I'm done wasting time with you. Your whole attitude is "why fucking bother changing, it costs money"
It's not just "money".

It's trillions and trillions of dollars. Money that doesn't exist, anywhere.

Where is that money going to come from?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
That's quite a dystopian future you're painting there. Can I borrow your crystal ball? I have a few stocks I want to research 🤣
Hello; I have no idea if such events will take place. I have spoken to true believers, however. I also still watch the PBS programs which often have true believers on. Also, C-Spans Washington Journal in the mornings.
The true believers of the "green agenda" are saying such things. Will they get the say-so to make such things happen??? I do not know. Only understand some want it to happen.

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
I can't read that NY times article, not paying for that. But thankfully Power prices are regulated by my state. That BS would never happen here.
That's weird I opened that link at work so idk if someone here as an IP wide paid sub for it or something cause I certainly don't pay for it.

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
That's weird I opened that link at work so idk if someone here as an IP wide paid sub for it or something cause I certainly don't pay for it.
It wouldn't let me open it. I did see on the next link where they were charged $9,000 per KWH, which is criminal. It's about ten cents a KWH here.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I see multiple IONIQ, Tesla, Leafs and MachE daily in my suburbs, and when driving to and from work. In fact, I likely see almost the same of them as I do Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, in total over the course of a week.
here in DC metro we have sCADS of Teslas. It's like 1 out of 50 as you're driving along 95/495/66. Civic is probably 1 in 30, and Mustang and Challenger are probably 1:100 or so. Yes, certain microcosms have frequent Tesla sightings but it's highly localized. I'm sure there are places in Alabam, Texas etc. where you can go days before sighting anything other than a OTR rig or a pickup truck.

"sedan? We don't do sedans around here, son. Dem like as end up run overs and in the ditch"

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Hello; I have no idea if such events will take place. I have spoken to true believers, however. I also still watch the PBS programs which often have true believers on. Also, C-Spans Washington Journal in the mornings.
The true believers of the "green agenda" are saying such things. Will they get the say-so to make such things happen??? I do not know. Only understand some want it to happen.

It's not a zero percent chance of going down like that, but I have to believe it's pretty slim odds. So many things would have to fall in line to bring about the "green leap forward". I acknowledge there are some true believers out there. Maybe they'll get their way.

My guess is I won't live to see it, but if I do I'll adapt. Hell, at some point in the future I'll be incapable of driving myself. In that case I hope there are self driving cars so I can have a life after my driver's license is taken away.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The average new vehicle new vehicle cost is now $47,000, so that means over half of America can easily afford a $40K EV IF they wanted one.
only because of 7+yr terms and <5% financing. That metric will come crashing back to earth like a Tesla rocket booster when it runs out of maneuvering thrust.

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
How would any gas station be able to support cars lingering around for 45 mins or so?
Most gas stations make very little in the sale of gasoline. They make the real money from the store. If you had to linger longer, you would more likely buy something from the store.

Sponsored

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I think when all these EV owners get slapped with a 20k battery replacement quote, they will go looking for an engine again 😄

Richard

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
only because of 7+yr terms and <5% financing. That metric will come crashing back to earth like a Tesla rocket booster when it runs out of maneuvering thrust.
I will never buy any vehicle I can't pay off in 5 years. My Mustang was about $40K all in, and I took it out for 60 months, had it paid off 18 months early.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
I think when all these EV owners get slapped with a 20k battery replacement quote, they will go looking for an engine again 😄

Richard
Most people upgrade cars before that point. EV batteries typically last over 200,000 miles. I've seen some like ubers that went over 400K miles.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)

Richard
They should've traded it in long before then.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
Hello; What i have been seeing is used car prices are up more than new car prices. I do not see an out for less well to do. May be like the cash for clunkers some years ago. The destruction of old but still functioning vehicles created a shortage of affordable vehicles and put a lot of poorer folks into a bind. They had a hard time.
That the cash for clunkers was done at very great cost to the taxpayer is also a part of todays issues. The deficit spending does not become history. National debt driven up ten, twenty, thirty and more years ago has not gone away. The debt on the books from that poorly considered policy is still on the books. We have not and do not pay down one penny of the national debt year over year. The trillions keep accumulating.

Here is another twist to come. The Fed needs to increase the interest rate to slow inflation. But increasing the rates means adding billions to the interest payments we make on that 30+ trillion national debt. Those extra billions in interest payments have to come out of the budget further reducing monies available to build up a new infrastructure.

I got a notice in the mail yesterday that my property has been appraised at over $30,000 more value. What that will mean for me is higher property taxes next fall.
I'm not referring to 2 year old cars. I did say cheaper. My wife wanted to give up her good job to start a business. Since she no longer had a big commute, she sold her 2 year old Palisade for $1,500 more than she paid new, and used all the money she paid off in that 2 years on the car to buy a Subaru Outback with lower miles free and clear for $11,000 with no out of pocket. She got all her money back, and got rid of the $600 a month payment. She likes the Subaru more than the Palisade. win/win.
Sponsored