Sponsored

If everything is fast and agile, will sports car exist? Will performance get limited?

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
You are wrong there. Like it or not, LOTS of EV's are coming in the next few years. We are at less than 1% of all vehicles on the road now, but 2% of all new vehicles sold are currently EV's. Over the next 1-2 years that will double. And double again by 2026. They are coming, and like a tidal wave. I can't see myself buying one for 10 years or so, but could change depending on what comes out.
Your definition of "substantial numbers" and mine are two very different things. I don't think 2% is "substantial".

EVs will never be more than 5% of the vehicles on the road. Our electrical production and distribution capacity can't support it.
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
You are wrong there. Like it or not, LOTS of EV's are coming in the next few years. We are at less than 1% of all vehicles on the road now, but 2% of all new vehicles sold are currently EV's. Over the next 1-2 years that will double. And double again by 2026. They are coming, and like a tidal wave. I can't see myself buying one for 10 years or so, but could change depending on what comes out.
I see multiple IONIQ, Tesla, Leafs and MachE daily in my suburbs, and when driving to and from work. In fact, I likely see almost the same of them as I do Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, in total over the course of a week.

I feel like the people saying how the "EV isn't a thing" are just living in the middle of nowhere, because I'm not even in a major city and I'm not in a rich area, and they are everywhere.

Last edited:

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I see multiple IONIQ, Tesla, Leafs and MachE daily in my suburbs, and when driving to and from work. In fact I likely see more of them then I do Camaro, Mustang, Challenger and Charger in total.

I feel like the people saying how the "EV isn't a thing" are just living in the middle of nowhere, because I'm not even in a major city and I'm not in a rich area, and they are everywhere.
I see Tesla Model 3 cars all over the place here; third most common vehicle behind SUVs and 4 door pickups. I saw another Mustang a few days ago, a Charger too. But, they sure aren't common. Neither are most other cars.

If I ever reach a point where I'm willing to give up a convertible, I'll probably buy an EV.

Last edited:

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I see multiple IONIQ, Tesla, Leafs and MachE daily in my suburbs, and when driving to and from work. In fact I likely see more of them then I do Camaro, Mustang, Challenger and Charger in total.

It's perception.

Less than 1% of registered vehicles on the road are EVs. That's the facts.

Any chance you live in California?

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
It's perception.

Nope.

Also, that 1% number has been the same one quoted for like 2yrs now. No one is citing a number more recent than mid 2020. EV sales are almost 3% of car sales now. That 1% is outdated.

Last edited:

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
It's perception.

And 2% of new vehicles sold right now are EV's. That is with very few mainstream models to choose from. In one to two years that will double. And it will double again in the next two years. 75% of new models coming out are EV's. Car manufacturer's are still rolling out their initial products. Even if you are in the back woods sticks, you will start seeing them daily soon. I see them every day now, and my commute is 1 mile.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
And 2% of new vehicles sold right now are EV's. That is with very few mainstream models to choose from. In one to two years that will double. And it will double again in the next two years. 75% of new models coming out are EV's. Car manufacturer's are still rolling out their initial products. Even if you are in the back woods sticks, you will start seeing them daily soon. I see them every day now, and my commute is 1 mile.
I'm not sure what point you're making. I was just saying it's perception that lots of EVs are on the road.

Yes, there's some on the roads now, and it will go up a bit. It's never going to be much of a percentage of registered vehicles, as they can't be.

And no matter what you believe the future holds, currently there are less than 1% EVs on the road.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure what point you're making.

Yes, there's some on the roads now, and it will go up a bit. It's never going to be much of a percentage of registered vehicles, as they can't be.
Why can't they be? Sales of EV's in the US doubled in 2021 from 2020, and will likely double again this year. The trend will continue. You can deny it all you want. I don't like EV's either, but big changes are happening now. TIME TO TAKE THE BLINDERS OFF.

JoeSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, Manual
Not enough materials for batteries and power grid won’t be able to charge all the vehicles, plus those in the sticks and farmlands wont have as much access to charging

PLUS not everyone is getting rid of their cars, know a girl whose still driving a YJ since I met her on WoW back in ‘08, and we all know someone who still owns an old car, their old reliable

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Why can't they be? Sales of EV's in the US doubled in 2021 from 2020, and will likely double again this year. The trend will continue. You can deny it all you want. I don't like EV's either, but big changes are happening now. TIME TO TAKE THE BLINDERS OFF.
This has been explained quite a few times now, and it has nothing to do with liking or disliking EVs, nor blinders. The US does not have the electrical power production or distribution capacity for more than...say.....5% EVs.

I'll help you out here, with one simple starter question;

How much has US electrical power output capacity increased in the last 20 years?

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just wait until people have to shell out $10k-$20k for a "replacement" battery pack..when X-fault or issue isn't covered by the Warranty (better read all that EV Warranty fine print folks) or it's eventually beyond warranty. As far as the "fine print" mention, has anyone on here even read the MOCKEry's owner manual regarding the battery warranty? I have out of pure curiosity, LMAO... yea, good luck there EV owners..

I was also just reading a recent article where it discussed how the Ford Eluminator EV Crate motor is upwards of $5k (excluding battery, controller and traction inverter) but that the "standard" battery pack - just for you or me to buy that part, is approx. $18.5k, while the extended range will cost approx. $23.5k.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Just wait until people have to shell out $10k-$20k for a "replacement" battery pack..when X-fault or issue isn't covered by the Warranty (better read all that EV Warranty fine print folks) or it's eventually beyond warranty. As far as the "fine print" mention, has anyone on here even read the MOCKEry's owner manual regarding the battery warranty? I have out of pure curiosity, LMAO... yea, good luck there EV owners..

I was also just reading a recent article where it discussed how the Ford Eluminator Crate EV motor is upwards of $5k (excluding battery, controller and traction inverter) but that the "standard" battery pack - just for you or me to buy that part, is approx. $18.5k, while the extended range will cost approx. $23.5k.
I'm waiting for when California (where the majority of EVs are sold) starts with the rolling black-outs and grid implosions. Should be in the next few years.

Gonna be eye-opening for a lot of people.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
Not enough materials for batteries and power grid won’t be able to charge all the vehicles, plus those in the sticks and farmlands wont have as much access to charging

PLUS not everyone is getting rid of their cars, know a girl whose still driving a YJ since I met her on WoW back in ‘08, and we all know someone who still owns an old car, their old reliable
No power issues by me, but this is why so many people are adding solar power. They control their own power. Many wind farms still going up too. Obtaining power is the easy part. The batteries and the fact that they use 8 times the semiconductor chips compared to ICE vehicles is more of the current issue. Soon every gas station will have EV chargers. By me many of the drug stores, and larger stores already have chargers installed. Within 5 years the current amount of public chargers will need to triple. Most people will charge at home 90+% of the time. I have a 23 year old van that is 100% reliable, but it gets 8-10mpg out of the little 4.6 in the city. My Mustang on E85 is worse than that. People tired of paying high gas prices are more likely to consider EV's. My next daily will most likely be a Maverick Hybrid. Hard to ignore 42+ mpg in the city where 95% of my driving is. Never have to charge it either.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I'm waiting for when California (where the majority of EVs are sold) starts with the rolling black-outs and grid implosions. Should be in the next few years.

Gonna be eye-opening for a lot of people.
Cali is already planning a lot of power changes, such as covering many of their water duct ways with solar panels to both generate more power that can dump into the grid at any connection point, and also prevent water evaporation to help with water issues, and also having the water push water wheels to generate even more while the waters flowing.

The problem with posts like yours are that they are made with the assumption that there is no plan to make changes to adapt. Just because they are slow in coming or may be delayed doesn't mean that they are not planning for these future power loads.

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
No power issues by me, but this is why so many people are adding solar power. They control their own power. Many wind farms still going up too. Obtaining power is the easy part. The batteries and the fact that they use 8 times the semiconductor chips compared to ICE vehicles is more of the current issue. Soon every gas station will have EV chargers. By me many of the drug stores, and larger stores already have chargers installed. Within 5 years the current amount of public chargers will need to triple. Most people will charge at home 90+% of the time. I have a 23 year old van that is 100% reliable, but it gets 8-10mpg out of the little 4.6 in the city. My Mustang on E85 is worse than that. People tired of paying high gas prices are more likely to consider EV's. My next daily will most likely be a Maverick Hybrid. Hard to ignore 42+ mpg in the city where 95% of my driving is. Never have to charge it either.
How would any gas station be able to support cars lingering around for 45 mins or so?
Sponsored