Blower cams

Jaywebs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt. 2019 c7 z06. 2019 rs5
Anyone running blower cams on a centri set up? Kicking around the idea of doing them while I do my opg's. On my 2019. I've been told by a few people that the factory cams are great and no need to upgrade but I was curious if their were any substantial power gains with swapping them. TIA
Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
If you are trying to squeeze the most out of your stock heads, and plan on going higher than 900+whp more efficiently, sure.

OP
OP
Jaywebs

Jaywebs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
If you are trying to squeeze the most out of your stock heads, and plan on going higher than 900+whp more efficiently, sure.
Yes. Car is making 930 rwhp now. Curious what type of power gains I could expect.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Going above that, less boost to make the same HP, so your headroom will also increase to turn it up.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
If you want to add cams, do it. But don't fall for the blower cam BS. David Freiberger of Hot Rod magazine and the Engine Masters show on motortrend tv, along with numerous others on youtube have proven that blower cams are a fallacy. Adding boost to any engine just accents or enhances the power curve. A specific blower grind vs. a standard grind will produce roughly the same power. Unless you are chasing a number to brag about around the water cooler, just pick a cam profile that suits your needs and enjoy.

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
If you want to add cams, do it. But don't fall for the blower cam BS. David Freiberger of Hot Rod magazine and the Engine Masters show on motortrend tv, along with numerous others on youtube have proven that blower cams are a fallacy. Adding boost to any engine just accents or enhances the power curve. A specific blower grind vs. a standard grind will produce roughly the same power. Unless you are chasing a number to brag about around the water cooler, just pick a cam profile that suits your needs and enjoy.
Yes and no. A blower grind has a different spec and might make more power. that doesn’t mean it will not work on a non blower setup but a blower cam is a different cam.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Yes and no. A blower grind has a different spec and might make more power. that doesn’t mean it will not work on a non blower setup but a blower cam is a different cam.
My point was build the best N/A engine you can, then add boost. And yes a blower cam will work on a N/A motor and vise versa, and typically make similar #'s on the dyno. Just don't get hung up in thinking because you are going boosted, you have to have a blower cam, because you don't.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
My point was build the best N/A engine you can, then add boost. And yes a blower cam will work on a N/A motor and vise versa, and typically make similar #'s on the dyno. Just don't get hung up in thinking because you are going boosted, you have to have a blower cam, because you don't.
Correct

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The juice isn't worth the squeeze. Even if you do it at the same time as the OPG's, the improvements you'll see aren't worth the $1k you'll spend on them (probably more if you do it correctly).

Many high hp builds feature aftermarket cams, not necessarily as a power provider but to eliminate the phasers and just go with a cam more suited to that. While it does offer some high end power increases it usually comes at the expense of low end curve and drivability (aka the old school choppy lope).

Cams would be one of the very very last item on a list if trying to squeeze out every single ounce of power.

Even if you were to take the approach of "I'd like to make the same power just easier or with less risk" it's a very marginal improvement and judged against the cost is a pretty low value (bang/buck) modification.

Sponsored

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
Anyone running blower cams on a centri set up? Kicking around the idea of doing them while I do my opg's. On my 2019. I've been told by a few people that the factory cams are great and no need to upgrade but I was curious if their were any substantial power gains with swapping them. TIA
Depends on what you mean by substantial gains. I made 1200whp with the factory cams and my heads were flowing just fine. In terms of gains from just swapping the cams, you'd probably be looking at around 40-50whp ish. If its a max effort build, I'd do them but if you're trying to help it flow better, they aren't really needed on Coyote cars. If you have any questions about the best route to go to make power, feel free to shoot me a message anytime. Lethalperformance.com

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
One thing that I have noticed with coyote blower cams, is that they typically have a slower ramp rate vs NA versions. An blown engi
Is your blower maxed out? If no, then you don't need cams.

OP
OP
Jaywebs

Jaywebs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I am maxed out. Stage 2 P1X making 17lbs. Im on a 3.55 and it is over spinning from 7600 till redline at 8100. So tell me if this is stupid. Keep in mind the car will never see the track and im just trying to build a bad*** street car. That being said, i was thinking about having procharger turn my P1X into a D1X. instead of doing an F1A. I know the F1A will support way more power but i understand that i will most definitely be sacrificing a decent amount of low and mid range. I didnt know if that concept along with the addition of cams would assist in making more power more efficiently. Also, what else is involved in doing cams? Does anyother head work need to be done? I would have to assume i would need a tune?

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Yes, I am maxed out. Stage 2 P1X making 17lbs. Im on a 3.55 and it is over spinning from 7600 till redline at 8100. So tell me if this is stupid. Keep in mind the car will never see the track and im just trying to build a bad*** street car. That being said, i was thinking about having procharger turn my P1X into a D1X. instead of doing an F1A. I know the F1A will support way more power but i understand that i will most definitely be sacrificing a decent amount of low and mid range. I didnt know if that concept along with the addition of cams would assist in making more power more efficiently. Also, what else is involved in doing cams? Does anyother head work need to be done? I would have to assume i would need a tune?
Bear in mind the Coyote is a not interference motor. Meaning no matter how badly you tune the valves to peak with respect to top dead center, if using the OEM dimensions it will not "interfere" or make contact. That's because it's limited in lift. With 2 valves per side, you don't need the excessive lift we're used to seeing on pushrod or 2V motors.

Having said that, you COULD get cams with more lift (which would increase the flow of the heads) but that would also mean the springs would need to be changed to accommodate the additional travel.

The aftermarket cams can also monkey with the duration and overlap. As I said earlier, I think the biggest reason guys go with aftermarket cams is because they're wanting to eliminate the phasers and the OE cams aren't setup to be the best selection for that. If you want to fix the cam timing, then a more aggressive set of cams (that lope down low and scream up top) is a better choice. The other reason is to try to get a cam profile suited more to turbos which need flow and spooling lower in the rpm range. So guys on big singles tend to benefit from cams that sacrifice upper flow in favor of lower end flow to get their turbo spooled up quicker.

As far as your blower goes, we're in this era where most guys can make more power than the chassis can handle. It's not cliche to say that without sophisticated engine control, you could make 10,000 hp and the car would be slower than if you make 950 hp. At some point you just overwhelm the chassis/grip and then the car becomes on roller skates. Sure it's great for 80 mph roll rips, but from anything low, more power doesn't equal faster unless you either have the grip to put it to use or the sophistication of something that can limit your power at lower speeds/gears. Chances are, you can make more power on a P1X/D1X than the car can handle.

OP
OP
Jaywebs

Jaywebs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Well written and explained. Thank You
Sponsored