Sponsored

Your opinion on personalized license plates...

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Considering a personalized plate for my incoming 2022... it'll be Grabber Blue, GT, 6spd. Wife wants to call it "Cookie Monster"... couldn't think of anything with "COOKIE" that wasn't already taken in Texas and anything abbreviated as CK or COOK or KOOK, etc. could be misconstrued, haha. I'd rather not.

So I figured out a combo that involves my last name/family name (which my wife shares with me) and I kind want to take the opportunity to get it while it's available. However, I wonder if anyone has concerns about their real name being written on their car/plate? Car will be garaged and not daily driven, if that matters. I don't plan on driving stupid and there's absolutely no manner in which a Grabber Blue car is going to be subtle. It'll be visible, custom plate or not.

Appreciate your feedback.
BLU PNY
Blue Pony

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Just don't add the huge and horrible UK front plate holder ... :puke:

Yeah we have a one off plate cost (either from the DVLA or private).

There is a fee to keep it on 'retention' - only needed if the plate isn't being assigned to a vehicle.

There is a one off fee to put it on a vehicle (or move it to another vehicle).

There are no yearly or ongoing fees for a plate once it's bought and on a vehicle.

I have three plates (all cheap !), 1 x my name related, 1 x car make related and the one on the stang :

1642760765624.png

It didn't buy the beer purposely, it was a coincidence I only noticed after taking the photo ! (it was payment for a mate after using his ramp) :like:

WD :like:
You have beer called "Shit Outta Luck"?

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Considering a personalized plate for my incoming 2022... it'll be Grabber Blue, GT, 6spd. Wife wants to call it "Cookie Monster"... couldn't think of anything with "COOKIE" that wasn't already taken in Texas and anything abbreviated as CK or COOK or KOOK, etc. could be misconstrued, haha. I'd rather not.

So I figured out a combo that involves my last name/family name (which my wife shares with me) and I kind want to take the opportunity to get it while it's available. However, I wonder if anyone has concerns about their real name being written on their car/plate? Car will be garaged and not daily driven, if that matters. I don't plan on driving stupid and there's absolutely no manner in which a Grabber Blue car is going to be subtle. It'll be visible, custom plate or not.

Appreciate your feedback.
I've got Acme on my plates. All of the things the Coyote used in the Road Runner cartoons were labeled ACME. I also have Back The Blue plates which have saved me more than once.

JK XLR8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JK
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Roushcharged
JKXLR8 is mine lol.....initials JK, XLR8=accelerate....I know I know....

Sponsored

OP
OP
ZeroTX

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
JKXLR8 is mine lol.....initials JK, XLR8=accelerate....I know I know....
XLR8 was a rollercoaster at Six Flags Astroworld :) First one (or one of the?) to be a "hanging" coaster.

1642780852285.png

JK XLR8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JK
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Roushcharged
XLR8 was a rollercoaster at Six Flags Astroworld :) First one (or one of the?) to be a "hanging" coaster.

1642780852285.png
sort of how my passengers feel!!!

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Unless you drive like an old woman, personalized plates are not a smart idea.

All you're doing is putting something VERY SPECIFIC on your car that's memorable and tough to refute so when the officer pulls you over and says "we received complaints of a mustang driving aggressively." Instead of saying "wasn't me, there's many mustangs on the road" it's kinda hard if they reported a car with plates "HELLRZR" driving at excessive speeds.

Not only that, but people are much more inclined to call and complain about you if they can remember your plates.

OP
OP
ZeroTX

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Unless you drive like an old woman, personalized plates are not a smart idea.

All you're doing is putting something VERY SPECIFIC on your car that's memorable and tough to refute so when the officer pulls you over and says "we received complaints of a mustang driving aggressively." Instead of saying "wasn't me, there's many mustangs on the road" it's kinda hard if they reported a car with plates "HELLRZR" driving at excessive speeds.

Not only that, but people are much more inclined to call and complain about you if they can remember your plates.
True about remembering the plate number, but no way my car will be confused with another Mustang. It's Grabber Blue. Most of those I see are black or grey or white.

Sponsored

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange PP
I love my personalize plate!
Burnout.jpg

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
There was a guy in Canada who's plates were denied because his last name was Grabher Story here. I don't see any problem with having your name on your plate however the amount of crazies out there seems to grow every day and you might want to keep a degree of anonymity.

Now if your last name is Dick you want want to reconsider. Or if you're a Therapist you could use that but some might think you're The Rapist.
Yeah, that was a huge story up here. The biggest problem was that he had had the plate for years and years. Someone complained, and the province told him they were taking it back. He lost on a subsequent appeal. We were behind a car one day in the mid-80s. The plate was CLI, it was on the back of Taurus. Never did find out if that was connected.

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
Yeah, that was a huge story up here. The biggest problem was that he had had the plate for years and years. Someone complained, and the province told him they were taking it back. He lost on a subsequent appeal. We were behind a car one day in the mid-80s. The plate was CLI, it was on the back of Taurus. Never did find out if that was connected.
I think Florida changed their plate design over this completely randomly assigned plate. http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/florida/assorgy-story

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
True about remembering the plate number, but no way my car will be confused with another Mustang. It's Grabber Blue. Most of those I see are black or grey or white.
Without a memorable plate, you're just another blue mustang.

With some sorta quick and catchy plate, now you're a VERY SPECIFIC blue mustang. Your average Karen probably doesn't know the various shades of Ford Factory blue. So when she calls in to complain that your exhaust is too loud or you were "racing" (a term that gets used when 2 or more cars are just moving through traffic together), or otherwise terrorizing the boring sheep, it's one thing to say "There are tons of blue mustangs on the road, it wasn't me." and "I don't know how she remembered my exact plates sir."

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
"I don't know officer, there was some lady swerving all over the road, and I was just trying to get away from a drunk driver"
Sponsored