Sponsored

LED Map light install - broken dome light housing tab (ugh)

rothrj91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Lime PP1 GT
guys, sorry to bring up an old thread gbut i just got a 2021, and its aboslutely ridiculous that this map housing wont come down. im doing all the methods. i see the two tabs. yet it will not budge. i did the lens method and of course my dumbass pushed the entire housing inside, so now im screwed. is there any other suggestion??? this sucks. its the same housing since 05, yet they change clips and this is nothing like my 2014. ridiculos
You have to pull the housing down enough to get in there with a pick or small tool to depress the tabs on the clip. You can try pulling down as hard as you can and it may come loose, but you risk ripping off the clip towers or breaking the tabs on your headliner. Those clips are definitely a PIA.
Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Wondering, has anyone successfully replaced these bulbs without breaking the light assembly's.

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
Wondering, has anyone successfully replaced these bulbs without breaking the light assembly's.
yup i did when i posted this. i was able to get the passengers side clip undone, not hte drivers, but it was enough to pop the bulbs out and pop my new ones in no problem!!! then when i put it back up, it was totally loose and wasn’t as tight as factory was and i was mad…but no joke after a day, it somehow settled, and now it’s as tight as it was from factory!

AMC401V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - 2000 Excursion - 1987 Swift DB2
Use a head mounted light and a small pick. Depress the center of the clip on each side. It will come right off with no damage. It only takes a few minutes.

20220103_182320.jpg

20220103_182806.jpg

20220103_182914.jpg

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
I’m so glad I found this thread, but I wish I found it before I ever even bought the stupid lights.

if you’re reading this on the fence about upgrading the lights , just don’t, it’s not worth it.
So I take it they are not easy to change and trying just damages the light assembly and headliner? I would like to but I don't see an easy way to do so without causing problems. Maybe some can give a tutorial on how to do it. Good Luck

rothrj91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Lime PP1 GT
Use a head mounted light and a small pick. Depress the center of the clip on each side. It will come right off with no damage. It only takes a few minutes.

20220103_182320.jpg

20220103_182806.jpg

20220103_182914.jpg
I wish I could double like your post. Thank you for posting.

This is the absolute correct way of removing the housing with lowest risk of damage to the headliner or housing.

bent98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 500
Man, I had to pull the assembly down a 1/2” so I can put the blue connector back in place as it pushed through. I didn’t brake the clips but when pushing it back up it doesn’t want to go back up and sit flush with headliner . What do I do ?

1FFE6525-0487-4D63-9BAB-5E4AB57F2240.jpeg

bent98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 500
Never mind , I figured it out. I need to take the whole thing down and push metal clamps down to the base of the unit.

BE5A2671-6761-463F-ADBA-C9B7E22B1AB4.jpeg

B362FE0B-D976-42A6-A75B-B65CD3990AA1.jpeg

55E6CA0B-F5CD-4F12-B886-A1E68C002584.jpeg

Ginger1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium
OK because I'm a masochist I went ahead and bought the Diode Dynamics kit for our '18, in spite of the many horror stories here and elsewhere online. Tried the lens method and got the passenger bulb in. Hope it's in there good enough that it doesn't pop out...

Driver's bulb pushed through. Even assuming I get the assembly down without causing damage, does anyone have tips with/without pictures how to get the bulb socket back into place? Lots of threads and videos out there of varying usefulness on how to get the housing down from the headliner, but no real clear instructions on what to do once you have it down.

Any help would be appreciated. So far the management are buying the explanation that I only put in the one bulb in the passenger side because they're so bright and two would be overkill. Eventually the order will come down to put the other bulb in.

Sponsored

Mr X

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
OK because I'm a masochist I went ahead and bought the Diode Dynamics kit for our '18, in spite of the many horror stories here and elsewhere online. Tried the lens method and got the passenger bulb in. Hope it's in there good enough that it doesn't pop out...

Driver's bulb pushed through. Even assuming I get the assembly down without causing damage, does anyone have tips with/without pictures how to get the bulb socket back into place? Lots of threads and videos out there of varying usefulness on how to get the housing down from the headliner, but no real clear instructions on what to do once you have it down.

Any help would be appreciated. So far the management are buying the explanation that I only put in the one bulb in the passenger side because they're so bright and two would be overkill. Eventually the order will come down to put the other bulb in.
Same thing happened to me. I managed to pry off the lenses and replaced the passenger side bulb. The driver side I pushed it through the housing and no luck fishing it out. I emailed DD asking for advice on what to do next, can you believe he said he'd never heard of that happening before and wished me luck solving the problem. Now I'm too scared to do anything, and thinking I'll get the dealer to do it when I take it in for an oil change.

Last edited:

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Same thing happened to me. I managed to pry off the lenses and replaced the passenger side bulb. The driver side I pushed it through the housing and no luck fishing it out. I emailed DD asking for advice on what to do next, can you believe he said he'd never heard of that happening before and wished me luck solving the problem. Now I'm too scared to do anything, and thinking I'll get the dealer to do it when I take it in for an oil change.
Exact same thing happened to me 🤬 left side went in fine, right side pushed the whole assembly into the housing. Had to pull the whole compartment out and broke the left clip. Time for some superglue and duct tape.

Mr X

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Exact same thing happened to me 🤬 left side went in fine, right side pushed the whole assembly into the housing. Had to pull the whole compartment out and broke the left clip. Time for some superglue and duct tape.
I see you can get a replacement housing from Ebay. Have you tried looking there ?

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I see you can get a replacement housing from Ebay. Have you tried looking there ?
I was able to superglue the clip that broke off back to the housing to the point where it's flush now
Sponsored