Air Conditioner Issues

DroopyGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
what did they repair the 1st time, 2nd time, and now 3rd? same parts or different? all under warranty? sorry man...
Engine replacement and apparently they overfilled the coolant and that killed it the first time, they replaced the compressor with a new model that stopped cooling by the time summer rolled around, replaced a hose and refilled coolant, now that bitch is making the humming whirring noise again and not cooling so well. Iā€™ve had this car 2.5 years and itā€™s probably been at the dealer for 8-9 months. Iā€™m tired.

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Add me to the list. 2018 with about 18,000 miles.
I'll make a dealer appointment tomorrow...

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Add me to the list. 2018 with about 18,000 miles.
I'll make a dealer appointment tomorrow...
it's the engine and the AC that makes me not tune the car or go forced induction, that extended warranty is looking more certain than ever for me... keep us posted.

Sponsored

brave21wr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base
Add me to the list. Occasionally, the car will have a weird buzzing sound coming from the engine when the AC kicks on. From what I have been reading through this thread, looks like the clutch might be gone and the pulley is seized. I checked under the hood today and found a weird fiber attached to the coolant reservoir...now that I am thinking about it, it was probably a fiber from the belt starting to shred and I remember a faint burnt rubber smell too...fml.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Just pure speculation here, but I think much of the A/C issues in thse cars, is caused by the high heat these engines generate. I noticed during the summer, while driving in traffic in 90Ā° weather, the inlet air temp was near 160Ā°. That is a tremendous amount of heat under the hood in the engine compartment. The A/C compressor running in that kind of heat surely is stressing itself, and leading to less cooling capability and sooner failures.

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
They never once warned me not to drive to Las Vegas.

FIXR7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
'93 Range Rover Rogue 351 powered, '17 Ruby GT, '99 XH V8-S ute, '69 Mercury Cougar XR7 S-code, '96 XH Ex-pork van
Vehicle Showcase
Just pure speculation here, but I think much of the A/C issues in thse cars, is caused by the high heat these engines generate. I noticed during the summer, while driving in traffic in 90Ā° weather, the inlet air temp was near 160Ā°. That is a tremendous amount of heat under the hood in the engine compartment. The A/C compressor running in that kind of heat surely is stressing itself, and leading to less cooling capability and sooner failures.
I think that's likely true which means that their durability testing regime was flawed. Most likely It was probably not actual physical testing but numerical analysis which in itself is flawed! Unfortunately they build cars to fail these days. Btw my compressor failed again after the useless dealer "fixed" it.

FIXR7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
'93 Range Rover Rogue 351 powered, '17 Ruby GT, '99 XH V8-S ute, '69 Mercury Cougar XR7 S-code, '96 XH Ex-pork van
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
A few more items to note:
If it is just the compressor, you might only need to replace the field coil or the clutch - those are the 2 most common parts that fail on a A/C compressor and cost less to replace/repair than the entire compressor itself. The failure might not be an entire compressor replacement.

If the system is low on Freon, the compressor wonā€™t kick on via the A/C pressure switch in the engine bay... if thatā€™s the case, then itā€™s possible it's an EVAP issue.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Mine's whining too!!

Sooooo, Iā€™ll offer this and you guys can debunk it if you like. We all know this thing does not ā€œneedā€ an aftermarket radiator. Stock one maintains good coolant temps just fine. Well, we put a Mishi in my sons S197 car and one of the greatest immediate benefits we saw from this mod was considerable reduced under hood temps. Havenā€™t tried it on this thing yet, but seriously considering it.

FIXR7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So, Does anyone recommend some brands over others?

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Just a FYI on my AC issues this year.

Visit 1: Compressor replaced
Visit 2: Refrigerant refilled
Visit 3: Condensor replaced
Visit 4: Pressure sensor replaced

Ironically, each failure came on a road trip, leading to a hot and miserable drive (because Florida). The last repair took a few days for the technician to diagnose, as the pressure sensor was working intermittantly.

Gtfold00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
Man,
I took my car to one ford dealership they said, after a $240 diagnostic charge, that both hoses in the air-con needed replacing and a re-gas = $560. I took it to another ford dealership they diagnosed the car for free and said, both hoses for the air con need replacing, evaporator sensor , and hot air fan to be replaced. So, lucky I have a warranty on the car otherwise, I don't think$560 would fix the problem.

I got told that they need to disassemble the dash just to get to the evaporator sensor lol. So yeah. maybe I should have kept the Commodore lol.
Sponsored