Sponsored

Air Conditioner Issues

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
Mine is out as of three weeks ago. Fans function but no cold air. Taking it to the stealership next week.
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
AC is having issues again even though they replaced the entire system sans electronic related pieces I believe.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The worst part of the AC problems is having to go to the dealer. When I had mine fixed, they pinched a wiring harness and I had a cylinder misfire code. Take it back and they fix that, but then had another electrical problem from dealing with the harness they pinched.

If mine goes out again, f:curse: it.

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
The worst part of the AC problems is having to go to the dealer. When I had mine fixed, they pinched a wiring harness and I had a cylinder misfire code. Take it back and they fix that, but then had another electrical problem from dealing with the harness they pinched.

If mine goes out again, f:curse: it.
Even in College Station during the summer? You're tougher than me!

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Even in College Station during the summer? You're tougher than me!
Ha. I just won't drive it except for track days. And since I wear a full fire suit for track days, even AC in the pits does very little. Once the suit goes on, the only relief is getting going so you forget you're boiling to death :crackup:

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Well I finally brought my car in and they replaced the evaporator and two lines that failed a pressure test, blowing ice cold now, but compressor is much louder than normal. Guess I have to find another dealer. Frustrated because this dealer did an awesome job with my oil cooler line recall in the past... Oh, and they specifically told me they no longer give loaner cars for warranty repairs because "it's just a Ford." WTF, way to keep a customer.

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
Well I finally brought my car in and they replaced the evaporator and two lines that failed a pressure test, blowing ice cold now, but compressor is much louder than normal. Guess I have to find another dealer. Frustrated because this dealer did an awesome job with my oil cooler line recall in the past... Oh, and they specifically told me they no longer give loaner cars for warranty repairs because "it's just a Ford." WTF, way to keep a customer.

Ok so be very careful here. I had my AC worked on and they removed the compressor. The compressor has torque to spec bolts, 1 use only. Any time you take a bolt out it must be replaced with a new one. In my case the tech reused the old bolts. After the initial repair my compressor was "loud" also but the AC worked ok. I was driving one day and all alarms started to go off, the engine way overheated and I was dead on the road. Turns out the AC compressor bolt had sheared off, the AC compressor was loud b/c it was about falling off the engine. This caused the AC belt to throw ( which is nearly impossible otherwise) and take out the main serpentine belt. The sheared off bolt was stuck in the engine block. They had to take the whole front of the car apart to get access to drill out the bolt which thankfully they were able to do. Apparently the AC hard points are cast into the block so if they F-up getting the bolt out and damage the block ur screwed. Dont let them blow off compressor noise. If the bolt issue is occurring it can be a big problem. The confusion with the tech stems from the fact that the regular S550 AC compressor bolts are reusable, but not the Shelby bolts. The techs dont realize this and dont bother to read the instructions when servicing the AC compressors on our cars.

BE CAREFUL !!!

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Ok so be very careful here. I had my AC worked on and they removed the compressor. The compressor has torque to spec bolts, 1 use only. Any time you take a bolt out it must be replaced with a new one. In my case the tech reused the old bolts. After the initial repair my compressor was "loud" also but the AC worked ok. I was driving one day and all alarms started to go off, the engine way overheated and I was dead on the road. Turns out the AC compressor bolt had sheared off, the AC compressor was loud b/c it was about falling off the engine. This caused the AC belt to throw ( which is nearly impossible otherwise) and take out the main serpentine belt. The sheared off bolt was stuck in the engine block. They had to take the whole front of the car apart to get access to drill out the bolt which thankfully they were able to do. Apparently the AC hard points are cast into the block so if they F-up getting the bolt out and damage the block ur screwed. Dont let them blow off compressor noise. If the bolt issue is occurring it can be a big problem. The confusion with the tech stems from the fact that the regular S550 AC compressor bolts are reusable, but not the Shelby bolts. The techs dont realize this and dont bother to real the instructions when servicing he AC compressors on our cars.

BE CAREFUL !!!
Thanks for the heads up. I know my compressor is failing secondary to the evaporator problem. Just a matter of time, so I will get it fixed now, have a year of warranty left on the AC. Hopefully the compressor comes with new bolts, sounds like it doesn't (probably the same compressor used on all S550s which typically don't need new bolts) which is a recipe for disaster. I'm also hoping since they just put in the new evaporator they won't need to take the dash apart again, but not sure on that. They broke the metal ring with the word "SYNC" on it in the process, it's on my list as well.

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Thanks for the heads up. I know my compressor is failing secondary to the evaporator problem. Just a matter of time, so I will get it fixed now, have a year of warranty left on the AC. Hopefully the compressor comes with new bolts, sounds like it doesn't (probably the same compressor used on all S550s which typically don't need new bolts) which is a recipe for disaster. I'm also hoping since they just put in the new evaporator they won't need to take the dash apart again, but not sure on that. They broke the metal ring with the word "SYNC" on it in the process, it's on my list as well.
My confidence falls when step one goes wrong. Step one of the dash removal is removal of the shift knob and boot. You are suppose to lift from the front, and get far under it (near the SYNC word) to lift the plastic and get the clips to release, NOT THE METAL RING. Once the metal separates the only solution is to glue it back on, which is crap obviously. I will make them give me an entire new shift boot cover, it's only $70 retail so shouldn't be an issue, but they broke it, so... on them.
IMG_20180812_102934.jpg
IMG_20180812_102954.jpg
IMG_20180812_103006.jpg

Sponsored

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
Mine is out as of three weeks ago. Fans function but no cold air. Taking it to the stealership next week.
EDIT: Mine was out due to the shop that last worked on it knocking loose one of the AC lines. It's getting so I hate taking my car to any shop, as it's more likely than not that there will be some incident or problem that takes place. Sigh.

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
EDIT: Mine was out due to the shop that last worked on it knocking loose one of the AC lines. It's getting so I hate taking my car to any shop, as it's more likely than not that there will be some incident or problem that takes place. Sigh.
Funny you mention this, as the work order for my repair also shows they replaced "two AC lines with damaged connections." Wonder who damaged them? LOL, guaranteed the guy who tried to get those two lines off the failed evaporator with the wrong tools. Car goes back in tomorrow morning for a compressor (with new bolts), at least that will be my fight. They did commit to giving me a loaner this time.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Damn, my AC just went out for the second time in 12 months. Probably compressor or coils again m. Wtf ford ?

This happen to anyone more than 3 times and they try lemon law buyback/keep car?

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Ford bought back my GT350 because of incurable A/C failures.