Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I'd love to go thru the steps for my 2021 Mach 1 but the Ford map site says "invalid VIN" so I can't get the update. (Sync 3 is updated.) Multiple calls to Ford CRC have not resolved the issue. I welcome any suggestions from someone with experience or connections to Ford.
OK, I know this is probably stupid but have you double checked all of you VIN letters and numbers? For example o’s and 0’s I did this once years ago and it drove me nuts until I finally figured it out.
Sponsored

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
OK, I know this is probably stupid but have you double checked all of you VIN letters and numbers? For example o’s and 0’s I did this once years ago and it drove me nuts until I finally figured it out.
Yep, tried that. mine only has one "0" and that definitely doesn't change the "invalid VIN" response. Looks like more time on the phone with Ford CRC, which is why I'm asking for help.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' FE, 20' FE
Yep, tried that. mine only has one "0" and that definitely doesn't change the "invalid VIN" response. Looks like more time on the phone with Ford CRC, which is why I'm asking for help.
Will ALOM let you give them your ESN so they can manually create a license file? I’d *think* they could do this or get someone at FoMoCo to create one for you. It’s really the only unique aspect to a map update.

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Will ALOM let you give them your ESN so they can manually create a license file? I’d *think* they could do this or get someone at FoMoCo to create one for you. It’s really the only unique aspect to a map update.
Who is ALOM? According to the Sync support folks, I should have received a letter from Ford with a map update code. Without that, the Sync folks can't help and sent me back to the CRC.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' FE, 20' FE
Who is ALOM? According to the Sync support folks, I should have received a letter from Ford with a map update code. Without that, the Sync folks can't help and sent me back to the CRC.
ALOM is the company that handles the map update distribution. So you go the that map update site and that’s all them. My understanding is it’ll look up the VIN you put in against the Ford database to get the ESN and current map info.They’d then create the license file specific to your unit, then push that plus the map updates. I’m not sure if they can do what I suggested though, but if you contact them with the ESN from the About SYNC screen they may be able to.

Sponsored

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
ALOM is the company that handles the map update distribution. So you go the that map update site and that’s all them. My understanding is it’ll look up the VIN you put in against the Ford database to get the ESN and current map info.They’d then create the license file specific to your unit, then push that plus the map updates. I’m not sure if they can do what I suggested though, but if you contact them with the ESN from the About SYNC screen they may be able to.
Update - I don't find a way to contact them directly from the Sync 3 Map update page. The "owner support" link just takes me back to Ford page to check the VIN, which still shows as needing the Sync update (even though I've now done it twice and the car said it was complete both times!). Suggestions?

Last edited:

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Update - I don't find a way to contact them directly from the Sync 3 Map update page. The "owner support" link just takes me back to Ford page to check the VIN, which still shows as needing the Sync update (even though I've now done it twice and the car said it was complete both times!). Suggestions?
Found ALOM "map care support" online and just sent them an email. I'll hope for a better response from them than I've had from Ford.

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Update. ALOM got in touch with Ford directly and learned the data wasn't updated when the APIM was replaced in July (their attempt to deal with the problem that turned out to be solved by the Sync update.) So I will visit the dealer I bought it from and get them to run the analyze update. Hopefully that will enable the latest Sync update to be reflected in their system, for the VIN to be recognized, and then enable the NA120 update. This is quite a learning curve!

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
If anyone needs a road added or their neighbourhood or a p parking lot that isn't in 2-20 just take a shot of the area on sync3 screen and I'll add it on maps database as I have aerial view :)

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase

my question about this updating is I'm running v3.0.30204 (I dont get complimentary update) if I pay once this one time just to get a license file along with 2-20, can I use that file in the future with a donor complimentary update?

Sponsored

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Update. ALOM got in touch with Ford directly and learned the data wasn't updated when the APIM was replaced in July (their attempt to deal with the problem that turned out to be solved by the Sync update.) So I will visit the dealer I bought it from and get them to run the analyze update. Hopefully that will enable the latest Sync update to be reflected in their system, for the VIN to be recognized, and then enable the NA120 update. This is quite a learning curve!
Another update: took it to the dealer today. Their read on it after testing is that the other dealer installed the wrong APIM (or the APIM wasn't programmed correctly for my car). They'll do some research with Ford's tech hotline and set up a follow-up visit. The saga continues.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Another update: took it to the dealer today. Their read on it after testing is that the other dealer installed the wrong APIM (or the APIM wasn't programmed correctly for my car). They'll do some research with Ford's tech hotline and set up a follow-up visit. The saga continues.
head-shake.gif

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Nice gif for this! No complaints at this point. I'm delighted to have my Mach 1 -- was reveling the experience leaving back from the dealer in the pouring rain here. It is such a joy to drive. And this weekend I head to Charlotte for the Track Attack, so I get to enjoy the 6 hour (by the book) drive there. The return trip will be a bit more of a challenge given I'll have spent two days on the track!!!
Sponsored