Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Those of you who have the tick and manual transmission try this while staying an in neutral - press clutch all the way down to the floor, then use gas pedal to introduce the tick in whatever way works for your car. When I had tick I could feel some very special sensation through my left leg that correlated with the tick. Not sure how to describe it though. Some sort of roughness, like when surfaces that are not smooth slide agains each other. When out of tick rpm range it would go away.
I did try this and couldn't feel anything in the clutch at all. Also, with Steeda axle backs, all the ticks and rattles seem to have gone away...
Sponsored

MyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
GT Pony,
Should be fixed now.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I found something interesting while prepping the car to pull the trans for a new clutch.
I'm not saying that this is the problem. The heat shield under the passenger header/ cat was never tightened from the factory and can make a very similar sound to a ticking typewriter.
Did your car have the BBQ Tick? If so, did tightening the heat sheild make any difference?

MyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
GT Pony,
Every once and a while I would here a ticking sound, but not consistently enough to be the so called BBQ tick.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
That isn't it. Also for those who have it used LiquiMoly Createc and it went away. My 2020 got the tick after the 2nd oil change. One bottle of Createc and it was gone. That was 4k miles ago and still no tick. That noise is way worse than the tick!!

Sponsored

MinDseTz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
What RPM is everyone having the Tick? 600-1700? Most people can get the tick to occur (if they have it), by cycling the AC after Idle is achieved. Also, the worst case people have mentioned is piston slap. Wouldn't that be detectable by the knock sensors?

Those of you who have the tick and manual transmission try this while staying an in neutral - press clutch all the way down to the floor, then use gas pedal to introduce the tick in whatever way works for your car. When I had tick I could feel some very special sensation through my left leg that correlated with the tick. Not sure how to describe it though. Some sort of roughness, like when surfaces that are not smooth slide agains each other. When out of tick rpm range it would go away.
Do you know how high the RPM was? Also, its drive by wire so it had to be vibration from something else. Resonance can do this, especially if it always close to the same RPM. I think Ford tried to say that may be a cause of the tick at one point (resonant noise from the pan).

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
When I hear it, I am idling and have to be close to a wall or something so it can reflect. No way I would hear it driving. I can hear the 2k rpm rattle, which is different, but everyone should know what that is by now.

I also generally hear mine when its warmed up, not cold start.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
When I hear it, I am idling and have to be close to a wall or something so it can reflect. No way I would hear it driving. I can hear the 2k rpm rattle, which is different, but everyone should know what that is by now.

I also generally hear mine when its warmed up, not cold start.
Not to be THAT guy but axle backs solved all the Coyote "bad" noise problems completely.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
LOL, once I leave idle I can barely hear my radio with the windows down.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Just an update, had my oil changed by the dealer. Which BTW they acquiesced to my request for 5W-30 instead of 5W-20, and as soon as I picked up the car the tick was back even with the 5W-30. No worries, had one more bottle of LiquiMoly Ceratec and the tick is gone again.

My car uses a little oil, about 1 litre every 1200-1400 miles. I do a lot of short trips (under 20 miles) and between oil changes have added 4 litres of oil in the 5k miles on my last oil change. The car never ticked even though I added 4 litres of oil out of the 10 that was in it. With the full drain the tick came back.

Thank the Lord for Ceratec!!

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Just an update, had my oil changed by the dealer. Which BTW they acquiesced to my request for 5W-30 instead of 5W-20, and as soon as I picked up the car the tick was back even with the 5W-30. No worries, had one more bottle of LiquiMoly Ceratec and the tick is gone again.

My car uses a little oil, about 1 litre every 1200-1400 miles. I do a lot of short trips (under 20 miles) and between oil changes have added 4 litres of oil in the 5k miles on my last oil change. The car never ticked even though I added 4 litres of oil out of the 10 that was in it. With the full drain the tick came back.

Thank the Lord for Ceratec!!
09874.jpg