Science is now cancelled? [USERS NOW BANNED FOR POLITICS]

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Lets get back to climate change and how great EV's are.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/unnerving-chevy-bolt-owners-want-162515050.html

They find it unsettling to own a vehicle even GM has warned could catch on fire.
The recall, which affects about 141,000 vehicles globally, is due to battery defects that could start a fire

One of my neighbors lost his home due to an EV battery fire. I don't know anyone who lost a home due to an ICE car catching fire.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/unnerving-chevy-bolt-owners-want-162515050.html

They find it unsettling to own a vehicle even GM has warned could catch on fire.
The recall, which affects about 141,000 vehicles globally, is due to battery defects that could start a fire

One of my neighbors lost his home due to an EV battery fire. I don't know anyone who lost a home due to an ICE car catching fire.

1631504080207.gif

Guess you better not ever buy one since one in hundreds of thousands burned up, lol.

The 3rd Gen RX-7s back in 1993 also caught on fire caused by an anti-freeze leak that caught on fire when it went all over a hot engine, and burned down some houses. Mazda had a safety recall on that.

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Mazda had a safety recall on that.
Can you supply a valid link. I can only find links that suspect a coolant leak caused a fire but no explanation how a non flammable substance would start a fire..

I did find several instances of several brands of EV's that have destroyed homes.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you supply a valid link. I can only find links that suspect a coolant leak caused a fire but no explanation how a non flammable substance would start a fire..

I did find several instances of several brands of EV's that have destroyed homes.
I owned a 1995 RX-7, so saw the recall info.

Your Google skills need work, found this in literally 1 minute, lol.

RX-7 Coolant Leakage Fire Recall
https://www.carproblemzoo.com/doc/V94217094.php

There's also another fire risk recall in this list - possible gas leak.
https://www.carproblemzoo.com/recalls/mazda-rx-7.php

RX-8 Fire Risk Recall
https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-art...8-vehicles-at-risk-of-fire-steering-loss.html

Google brings up all kinds of fire risks on Mazdas for various reasons. Probably true for about every vehicle on the road.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=mazda+rx-7+fire+risk+recall

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Covid-19 survival rate is less than 99.8% - Full Fact

“We’ve written before about how European estimates (i.e. estimates in countries with similar age profiles and healthcare quality as the UK) put the fatality rate at somewhere between 0.5% and 1%, meaning the “survival rate” could be somewhere between 99% and 99.5%, but not as high as 99.8%.”

Hello; This link puts it at between 99% and 99.5%. Basically depends on the size of the elderly population in a country.

COVID Infection Fatality Rates by Sex and Age | American Council on Science and Health (acsh.org)

“The IFR is calculated by dividing the number of COVID deaths by the number of COVID infections:

IFR = (COVID Deaths / COVID Infections)”

“This seems straightforward, but it's not. The reason is two-fold: (1) Determining what constitutes a "COVID death" isn't always clear. If a person with high blood pressure gets sick with COVID and dies from a stroke, was it the virus or the underlying health condition that killed him? (2) Determining the number of COVID infections is difficult because of the high prevalence of asymptomatic carriers as well as people who only get mild infections and never bother getting tested.”

1631511031159.png

Hello; The link does not give an overall death rate average. The best that can be had is the above chart. Apparently the overall average is very difficult to calculate. In this chart, My age group is 2.307% for males which is slightly better that the information I had months ago.

Fact-check: Does CDC release COVID-19 survival rates? (msn.com)

“Our ruling

A tweet said "CDC COVID-19 survival rates" are 99.997% for people ages 0 to 19, 99.98% for people ages 20 to 49, 99.5% for people ages 50 to 69, and 94.6% for people over 70."

The CDC has not released survival rates, and it doesn’t have the data to do so. It’s not clear where the tweet’s numbers came from, but they correspond with figures listed as part of CDC "planning scenarios" used for planning a pandemic response.

We rate this post False.”

Hello; These above are the numbers I recall reading a few months ago. The authors of the link rate the post as false. However it does seem the percentage numbers are not very far off from what I found in the first two links. So I cannot exactly back up the over 99% overall survival rate other than for age groups under 65 years of age. Apparently to get an overall average would require knowing how many are in each age group in a particular place and so far I cannot find a link that has done so.

I did discover two things of interest. One is the question we have considered in this thread of dying from covid vs. dying with covid. This can skew the numbers either up or down.

The other is that a lot of people who had mild or asymptomatic cases of covid are likely to never have been tested at all. So this would skew the numbers as well. It would seem likely this would make the overall survival rate even better if the numbers could be known.

So far I cannot back up an overall survival rate of 99%. I stand corrected.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:
OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that's how pandemics start when nobody is very alarmed at first. The it spreads like wild fire while people scratch their heads and think it will go away by itself. The all of a sudden it become an emergency situation ... and the rest is history.
I meant the part where Chinese scientists shared the genome. That part should be common knowledge for anyone with even a cursory interest.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hello; This link puts it at between 99% and 99.5%. Basically depends on the size of the elderly population in a country.
Well yes, as long as you ignore other risk factors like obesity or diabetes or anything else that lands on that list.
One would imagine that the outcomes for a nation of obese diabetics (often referred to diseases of the affluent) might look very different from a nation where sugars and fats aren’t consumed in vast quantities.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I meant the part where Chinese scientists shared the genome. That part should be common knowledge for anyone with even a cursory interest.
I was just being sarcastic about how a fast moving pandemic like this gets going, and how it's never handled preemptively, but instead reactively as it unfolds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I was just being sarcastic about how a fast moving pandemic like this gets going, and how it's never handled preemptively, but a reactively as it unfolds.
Kind of like the average workplace where the most stupid employee finds all of the holes in the procedures.
Employer fixes the procedure, old mate finds a new “problem”.
Next minute he’s lodging a report of how he managed to jam a testicle in a vertical filing cabinet…
(I’m not making this up).
Employer is left wondering if castration might solve the problem both now and in the future.

Hobohunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2007 Audi S4, 2016 Mustang GT/CS (sold)
While true, newborns are a different case and shouldn't be lumped in with children. Newborns are vulnerable to pathogens because of their developing immune system. This is one of the unintended consequences of having a c-section done and why breastfeeding is extremely important, the microbes from the birth canal and milk from breastfeeding milk are very important for facilitating the gut microbiota and immune system.

While the deaths are rare, there are still alot of hospitalizations that occur annually from newborns due to the flu. Not going to debate why there aren't more flu or COVID vaccine mandates but it does make sense why there would be one. For COVID since it is more contagious than the flu it does make sense why maternity workers would be required to get the vaccine, since the vaccine reduces the viral load.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/highrisk/infantcare.htm
I don't disagree that hospital workers, especially those that work with children, should be vaccinated for both. But I do shy away from thinking they should be mandated to do so by the government. I've had my share of mandatory shots and don't relish the idea of getting more, or forcing others to do so.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153

Well there's the problem. I wouldn't buy any car from GM, let alone an EV.

A Tesla is def in our future - or maybe a Ford EV.
Sponsored